And now for something totally different.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And now for something totally different..

skeptikal
03-01-2004, 01:27 AM
I've been a long time reader of this forum but would finally like to consult you experts on a problem of my own. Something you've never had anyone ask you about before... speaker recommendations! I have an NAD int amp sitting around that I would like to attach 2 speakers to with which I will be playing jazz, classical and possibly even a little Boston, Chicago and the like. So for $500 US does anyone have any ideas what is good at playing this type of music or even just anything to avoid. My initial ideas tend towards energy, tannoy or maybe even some B&W bookshelves but I'm none too knowledgable. I'd espescially like to know what to avoid though due to customer service or long term quality problems. Thanks all! your insight is so greatly appreciated!

manek
03-01-2004, 04:30 AM
NAD.....its quite speaker friendly. The NAD wwebsite does say that the PSB line of speakers do sound good with its equipment...remember PSB is a sister company to NAD.
What NAD amp do you have ling around ?

The ones you mentioned tannoy, B&W are very reputed so you go out there and hear some. Dynaudio 52SE's would be good too with the NAD as they usually are high current and dyns are difficult speakersto drive. QUAD 11L/12L would do good if you can get a good deal.

I would personally avoid Kplish, JBL, Bose, mission.

Manek.

skeptikal
03-01-2004, 06:36 AM
The Int amp i've got is an NAD C370 which is fairly powerful so I'm not terribly worried about having problems driving the speakers. I'm also curious if anyone has tannoys or b&w's if they have any opinions on stand mount or wall mount if that makes a difference with the bookshelf range of these speakers. And don't worry I wasn't even thinking of touching any bose because I'd really like to avoid a rash.

Aric M L
03-01-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm no audiophile but I've listened to the tannoy mX range and I was pretty impressed. It seemed those little guys (mX1 and mX2) were doing more than something so small and inexpensive should be able to. I don't know much about other aspects on them though; comparing to your other brands, support, reliability etc... but I can tell you that I was very fond of the sound. I'm sure other people would know a lot more technical stuff than I though.