Gene Hackman Favorite Top Three Films. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Gene Hackman Favorite Top Three Films.

Smokey
12-01-2007, 06:29 PM
Gene Hackman seem to be one most versatile actor in the business as he is multidimensional. Having a along resume, it was tough to narrow it down to only three favorites.
The French Connection was turning point in his career, so will be labeled as The Honorable Mention.

Not in any particular order:

The Poseidon Adventure (1972): Why see the remake when we can watch the original with Hackman as Rev. Frank Scott.
http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/54/54_images/poseidon72_group.jpg

Hoosier (1986): I wished Dennis Hopper has more role in this movie as he steal every scenes he is in.
http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2002/0827/photo/i_hoosiers_hi.jpg

Crimson Tide (1995): This is probably the most intelligent movie from the dynamic trio (director Tony Scott and producers Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer), and one of better Submarine movies.
http://www.creativescreenwriting.com/csdaily/csdart/images/2006-05-May/Crimson_Tide--Sign_our_petition_for_lower_gas_prices.jpg

Troy
12-01-2007, 07:08 PM
I can't imagine The French Connection not being at the top of the list.

Then add these 2: The Conversation and Unforgiven.

He had a great comedic part in Heartbreakers with Sigourney Weaver as a grifter gold-digger too.

I recall an interview where Hackman admits to being embarrassed by his acting and bad comb-over in the The Poseidon Adventure.

PeruvianSkies
12-01-2007, 07:21 PM
NARROW MARGIN (1990) A must-see film that is highly overlooked, under-appreciated, and unseen, which just shocks me considering how amazing Hackman is in this film.

THE FRENCH CONNECTION (1971) A classic that has never been surpassed for it's type.

THE CONVERSATION (1974) A film that most have not seen from acclaimed director Francis Ford Coppola that is worthy of rediscovery.

Smokey
12-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I see both of you choose Conversation as favorite. Would probably give a better assessment of movie if I had the DVD. But since it have been 10 years since seen it, as I remember the movie felt slightly too dark and “plotty”. May be it deserve a second look to modify the review.

And choosing The French Connection as one of favorite top three is cheating since as it was mentioned, it is an Honorable Mention :ciappa:

johnny p
12-01-2007, 10:49 PM
French Connection NUMBER ONE!!!! then in no order, Superman, Hoosiers, Poseidon Adventure, Wyatt Earp, Young Frankenstein, The Firm, Unforgiven All good movies he appeared in.... he MADE French Connection..... good ol' Jimmy Doyle.... he sees things the same way I do.

PeruvianSkies
12-01-2007, 11:18 PM
The reason that 1990's remake NARROW MARGIN works so well is primarily due to Hackman, who must win over the trust of a key witness to the shooting that involves a high-ranking mafia boss and her testimony can seal his fate. However, they are onto her, but Hackman is there to 'save the day', but what I love about the film is that he must first win her total trust, but at the same time he must remain cool, collect, and calm and always think one step ahead as he tries to thwart their attempts to kill her. Unlike most films the 'bad guys' are not the typical ones that go around shooting their guns, making irrational decisions, and doing unrealistic things. In this film though they are professional killers and therefore the film plays out like a chess match aboard a train-ride, which plays out in a very unique way in many ways similar to that of Hitchcock's classic THE LADY VANISHES. Hackman is also not playing this hardcore tough as nails rambo-like good guy either. Instead he uses his intelligence to make the film work in ways that most suspense films fail to do. You see in this film both the good guys and bad guys make smart moves, it's just a matter of who can outdo the other.

So not only is NARROW MARGIN one of my all-time favorite films, but it's a key Hackman film that deserves it's accolades primarily due to Hackman's amazing abilities.

RoyY51
12-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Don't forget "The Birdcage". Gene Hackman in drag is something not to be missed!

Smokey
12-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Don't forget "The Birdcage". Gene Hackman in drag is something not to be missed!

Who can forget! That movie was hilarious.

The part you mention was funny, and also the part where Nathan Lane was imitating the John Wayne walk, and Robin Williams said: ”Actually it was perfect, I just never relized John Wayne walked like that.” :D

eisforelectronic
12-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Uncommon Valor

jim goulding
12-03-2007, 09:41 PM
French Connection. He blew that role up! He first earned my admiration for a job well done in Bonnie and Clyde.

"Wanna take somebody, take me!!" Or some line like that in one of the worst movies that I know of. And Shelley Winters with her swimming medal around her neck, pee u. Before I would seriously discuss movies with a stranger, I used to ask up front "what did you think of The Posiedon Adventure?" as a brain cell gauge. I'm makin an exception for you, Smoke, so take no offense. Other than Unforgiven, in which he was super, has he ever played a bad guy? He was just misguided and off the deep end in the submarine movie. Gonna shoot one of his own men with ole James Gandolfini lookin on. I don't know brothers . . that was kinda of a stretch.

He was convincingly despicable in Runaway Jury. I guess that counts.

PeruvianSkies
12-03-2007, 09:45 PM
French Connection. He blew that role up! He first earned my admiration for a job well done in Bonnie and Clyde.

"Wanna take somebody, take me!!" Or some line like that in one of the worst movies that I know of. And Shelley Winters with her swimming medal around her neck, pee u. Before I would seriously discuss movies with a stranger, I used to ask up front "what did you think of The Posiedon Adventure?" as a brain cell gauge. I'm makin an exception for you, Smoke, so take no offense. Other than Unforgiven, in which he was super, has he ever played a bad guy? He was just misguided and off the deep end in the submarine movie. Gonna shoot one of his own men with ole James Gandolfini lookin on. I don't know brothers . . that was kinda of a stretch.

He was convincingly despicable in Runaway Jury. I guess that counts.

Bad guy in QUICK AND THE DEAD too.

johnny p
12-04-2007, 06:32 AM
Westerns are hardly a stick by which to measure, since ALL guys in Westerns could be considered "bad guys" in today's standards..... (antagonist/protagonist, that's another ball of wax)

Smokey
12-04-2007, 12:40 PM
"Wanna take somebody, take me!!" Or some line like that in one of the worst movies that I know of. And Shelley Winters with her swimming medal around her neck, pee u.

Wait, wait, wait, wait a minute here. Aren't you the same guy whe call the movie Scarface laughable and dumb. So I am taking a grain of salt with that review :D

nightflier
12-04-2007, 01:26 PM
Here's my picks: The French Connection, The Royal Tennenbaums, Behind Enemy Lines.

PeruvianSkies
12-04-2007, 02:06 PM
Here's my picks: The French Connection, The Royal Tennenbaums, Behind Enemy Lines.

How about BAT21 where Hackman plays the opposite role from BEHIND ENEMY LINES.

3-LockBox
12-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Hackman is a convincing and visceral actor, but he was never the character actor that Dennis Hopper or Robert Dinero was (emphasis on was). Hackman is what I'd call a 'personallity actor' (a term coined by Paul Lynn).

jamison
01-10-2008, 08:37 PM
how about target with hackman and matt dillon? I second BAT21 that was a great movie.
loved the golf course idea.
1. narrow margin 2.Bat21. 3. crimson tide... and im surpised no ones said lex luthor in the org superman movies.

thekid
01-11-2008, 03:13 AM
Hackman is a convincing and visceral actor, but he was never the character actor that Dennis Hopper or Robert Dinero was (emphasis on was). Hackman is what I'd call a 'personallity actor' (a term coined by Paul Lynn).

Man I just don't think that Gene Hackman and Paul Lynn should ever be mentioned in the same sentence when talking about acting..........

One my fav's is called "Target" in which he starts off as this boring middle-aged guy that his son thinks is pretty much a loser until the wife/mother gets kidnapped over in Europe. Then things get interesting when it turns out GH's character is a former CIA agent.

I don't see Mississippi Burning mentioned yet but that should go on the list.

What I will say I like best about GH films is that they are almost always solid films. Off the top of my head I can't think of a real stinker he has been in. They might not all be Oscar winners but I can't think of any that did the straight to the video shelf routine.

johnny p
01-11-2008, 08:15 AM
French Connection NUMBER ONE!!!! then in no order, Superman, Hoosiers, Poseidon Adventure, Wyatt Earp, Young Frankenstein, The Firm, Unforgiven All good movies he appeared in.... he MADE French Connection..... good ol' Jimmy Doyle.... he sees things the same way I do.

I mentioned Superman, but I guess I didn't harp over it..... but that Bat21 movie?? Never heard of it... I'll have to check it out.