DLP HDTVs, projectors to be featured on 'Designing Spaces' TV show [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DLP HDTVs, projectors to be featured on 'Designing Spaces' TV show

Rich-n-Texas
11-30-2007, 08:39 AM
The nine-minute DLP portion of the half-hour episode was filmed at the DLP Demo Center at TI's Spring Creek site. The episode will air at noon Dec. 7 on KPXD-Channel 68 in the Dallas area. It will also air nationally on TLC and again in more than a dozen other major regional markets throughout early December.
Check your local listings and set your DVR's accordingly.

With the holiday shopping season in full swing, we are making every effort to influence consumers to consider HDTVs and projectors powered by DLP," Mike said recently. "This program offers a fun way to talk directly to the consumer about why DLP is a better choice.
:cornut:

johnny p
11-30-2007, 12:32 PM
I must admit I'm an audio/video moron, and although I get the concept of DLP, is this a technology you guys like? I have an LCD, and it seems just fine.....

Rich-n-Texas
11-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Hang around a while and your question will be answered. Me, I'm too biased.

johnny p
11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
of course I'm on a fixed income.... it comes from my employer bi-monthly, fixed on the same low figure! I get by with what I have, and can't afford all these toys... I'm glad I don't know anything about home theater!

johnny p
11-30-2007, 01:36 PM
B & W Matrix 804 mains
B & W Matrix HTM center
B & W 800ASW sub
B & W P6 surrounds

That.... I like!

Rich-n-Texas
11-30-2007, 06:44 PM
of course I'm on a fixed income.... it comes from my employer bi-monthly, fixed on the same low figure! I get by with what I have, and can't afford all these toys... I'm glad I don't know anything about home theater!
:lol: You're in big trouble dude! Take it from one who's hung around here a long time.

pixelthis
12-03-2007, 01:12 AM
Still pushing DLP Rich?
Good for you!
It was interesting when you posted the layout of your gear, your problem would be solved, you know, if you had a TV that you could hang over your fireplace, instead of that bulky DLP
One good thing about DLP, they're cheap compared to other displays.
Maby the front projectors have a brighter future
Mayby:17:

Rich-n-Texas
12-03-2007, 03:05 PM
A picture of my hero, Dale Earnhardt will soon be hanging over the fireplace and will complete my memorial.

Yes, TI is putting much focus on front projectors now, however, the DLP engineering group at the Spring Creek campus is getting a little nervous.

pixelthis
12-04-2007, 01:15 AM
They need to be.
DLP got caught in the "lcd tsunami", nobody thought that flat screens would get so cheap so fast.
They are the "wall panels" that engineers have promised for decades.
Everybody said "so when are we gonna be free from crt".
Its right around the corner!
Well, now its here.
Marketers need to focus on the ht enthusiast, the fan who wont care that a microprojection is a bit "deep".
DLP(and sxrd, l-cos, etc) are getting thinner, and they are really the only alternative for those who cant fit a front projector into their life and cant afford 3 grand for a 50in lcd.
TI needs to get rid of the color wheel, get LED lightboxes affordable, and emphasize
that this a unique product for those who want a BIG picture.
When the current crop of sets were in development NOBODY thought that you'd be able to get a 32in widescreen HD set at office depot for five hundred bucks.
As little as two years ago they were saying that 1080p was a decade in the future.
Now its here.
But the only real future for any other type device is high end front projection, business or military. Front projectors that are portable are also a promising market.
But when most guys old lady wont let him have anything but a flat panel , are tired of bulky sets cluttering up "their" living room, well, thats a powerfull force to fight against

GMichael
12-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Front projectors that are portable are also a promising market.
But when most guys old lady wont let him have anything but a flat panel , are tired of bulky sets cluttering up "their" living room, well, thats a powerfull force to fight against

Clutter? Mine hangs from the celing. No one even notices that it's there till I point it out. Most people's first question after seeing my screen is, "is that an LCD or a plazma?" Followed closely with, "where'd you get one so big?"

pixelthis
12-05-2007, 01:09 AM
Clutter? Mine hangs from the celing. No one even notices that it's there till I point it out. Most people's first question after seeing my screen is, "is that an LCD or a plazma?" Followed closely with, "where'd you get one so big?"

Thanks for proving my point, that it takes a radical solution to accomidate these TV sets.
A lot of people think that I hate DLP because I predict its demise.
not true. I DONT CARE FOR THE COMPLEXITY, I know the capabilities of Joe sixpack,
and not to be condescending, but these sets take some care for the casual viewer.
Change the bulb every few years, when you turn it on dont turn it off for 15 minutes,
etc.
And the high temps from the light source will shorten the lifespan of everything in the set.
I had the virtues of simplicity hammered into me when training in electronics,
the K.I.S.S law, (keep it simple stupid) and still turn away from gadgets, cluttered
gear, etc.
And theres just too many ways to display video without using the rube goldberg
methods employed by DLP.
A LCD is flat, hangs on the wall, runs cool , lasts twenty years, and most love the picture.
Why complicate things?
I think DLP will fade like the carburetor, the 8 track tape, DAT, FOR THE SAME REASON THEY FADED, mainly no market niche, or outclassed in the tech dept
Quality types looking for a microdisplay will go for SXRD or some other l-cos dirivative,
cheapskates will choose 3 lcd.
And most will choose flat screens, because their friends do, because the "boss"
likes em better, and really, they are the better choice for most.
So really, where is the market for DLP?
Sure a bunch of tiny mirrors on a silicon chip are cool, but thats no reason to do something, no wonder this started with the US govt.
These are the same guys who, when faced with the delima of pens that wouldnt write in zero gravity, came up with "space pens" , cost millions to develop , but they wrote
in zero g just fine.
the Russians, more strapped for cash, went another route.
they used a five cent #2 pencil:1:

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2007, 05:07 AM
I was happy that I was able to get a 57" HDTV back in March for under $2K. And I was able to help support my employer, no matter how small the contribution.

johnny p
12-05-2007, 07:16 AM
O.K. I was happy with my LCD, then I read this thread, and thought "yeah, I think the LCD was definitely the right choice" but then it happened..... I saw a 73" 1080p DLP set for $3k WOW.... not to mention the fact that 73" set puts out enough light to illuminate the neighborhood!!!!!! The neighbors would love to see the extension cords as I watch t.v. in my front yard in my boxer shorts! My wife would never let me get a T.V. that big.... but GEEZ.... it's impressive, and the price is right.

johnny p
12-05-2007, 07:24 AM
Looks like LG is putting out a 100" LCD..... dang.

pixelthis
12-06-2007, 01:27 AM
O.K. I was happy with my LCD, then I read this thread, and thought "yeah, I think the LCD was definitely the right choice" but then it happened..... I saw a 73" 1080p DLP set for $3k WOW.... not to mention the fact that 73" set puts out enough light to illuminate the neighborhood!!!!!! The neighbors would love to see the extension cords as I watch t.v. in my front yard in my boxer shorts! My wife would never let me get a T.V. that big.... but GEEZ.... it's impressive, and the price is right.

If you're talkin about the mitshu then I KNOW WHAT YOUI'RE SAYING.
Went into short circuit and saw one of these, and my jaw droppeth.
A three demensional (almost) 1080p picture of a rose wet with dew.
Breathtaking, really.
But the new Sony 1080p sets were also really nice.
Now, I actually looked at an 50" DLP , and then Samsung came out with an elcheapo
50" also, that was tempting.
A fifty inch screen for under a grand?
Theres no substitute for real estate , I found this out.
Loved my first serious monitor, a 20in XBR, until I started watching a lot of letterboxed movies.
But the sad reality is, that while standing in Wallfart, looking at the DLP they had, a stack of Vizios (42in) laying on their side, stacked like a bunch of beer, kept disapearing.
People would come in, grab a box by the handle and toss it in a cart.
Nobody even looked at the two DLP displays, which were sitting next to a RPTV of the CRT type. Maybe they confused them for a CRT
At the hospital where I work, 26in flat screens are in all of the rooms.
42inchers in the waiting rooms.
Its not that DLP is losing the battle, its that its like a tribe in borneo that is trying to fight a US aircraft carrier, its hardly even there:1:

pixelthis
12-06-2007, 01:38 AM

But theres another statement you made that is key...
MY WIFE WOULDNT LET ME HAVE IT!!!
This is the dreaded "W.a.f" or wife acceptance factor.
Most guys havent ever had ANY kind of big screen because the "boss" wouldnt let em.
Mow heres this cool looking flat panel...
Its funny that rich is talking about a design show, because most interior designers
look to flat screens as the second coming, finally, a TV that fits in the room!
And when you're not watching it just slide A DRAPE over it and it disapears!
I dont know how DLP will beat this factor, the factor of getting a big screen
AND keeping the wife happy at the same time.
A lot of men dont want to admit it but a lot of times keeping the old sperm bank happy is the difference between getting and not getting a new set AT ALL.
Its like the late Sam Kennison said in his comedy act, when his wife told him,
when he wanted to stay at a party, "I have the p****y, lets go:1:

johnny p
12-06-2007, 06:20 AM
Its funny that rich is talking about a design show, because most interior designers look to flat screens as the second coming1:

Maybe if I watched design shows with my wife, I could find a way to justify it.... but the price outweighs the benefits!