Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA - holy crap! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA - holy crap!

Swish
11-30-2007, 07:26 AM
So me and my current spouse went out for a bite and a couple beers at a new place that actually isn't new, but recently moved up the street to a new, bigger, and much better location. They have a no-smoking facility (PA didn't pass the law yet, but should soon), so we were quite pleased, and sat at the bar in the main dining area. Very nice place and they have quite a variety of beer on tap, along with bottled beer and a piano player (gotta stick something about music in there to keep the mod off my butt).

I opted for the Fuller's ESB that was on tap, a long-time favorite of mine, while Cathy chose Dos Equis, an odd choice for her since she usually drinks wheat beers. I was telling the bartender that I love pale ale and IPAs, and that a current favorite is the Dogfish Head 90 Minute and 60 Minute IPAs, but I heard the 120 Minute is even better. That had it in bottles and, when I had finished my Fullers, he placed one in front of me with a big smile on his face. I asked for a glass (good beer, even if bottled, should be poured into a glass) and poured away.

That's when the bar keep said 'that stuff is 20% alcohol' and my jaw dropped to the floor. It smelled strong and tasted strong, but I kind of liked it. I was drinking it a bit fast, as I always do before I eat, and Cathy warned me to slow down. I did and just then our dinners arrived to save my sorry arse. I did finish the beer fairly quickly, probably within 30 minutes while eating, and switched back to Fuller's, but it was too late. To say I was buzzed is putting it mildly. I still had a couple more pints of Fuller's before handing the keys to current spouse and getting out of Dodge.

We got home and I got into bed as quickly as possible, waking up at about 7:30 this morning. Let's say that will be my last experience with Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, but if you want to check it our, go <a href="http://www.dogfish.com/brewings/Limited_Edition_Beers/120_Minute_IPA/15/index.htm">here</a>.

Swish

johnny p
11-30-2007, 07:56 AM
my current spouse

Ha.... that's funny! either way.... If that is the type of beer you enjoy, I highly recommend Breckenridge Brewery's Small Batch "471" it's pretty good... I usually like stouts/porters (during Jazz Fusion... there's my music reference) but this one is good.... Bell's Two Hearted Ale is good too... as is their Oberon (I think that's how you spell it)

enjoy!

Finch Platte
11-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Damn, that sounds good.

Why would you not drink it again? Pussy.

fp

Swish
11-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Damn, that sounds good.

Why would you not drink it again? Pussy.

fp

...alike. Trying to rattle my cage when you know I can't do anything about it since I'm so far away. I will sit and drink pints of real beer with anyone for as long as they wish and see who would be the last man standing. That would be me.

Wussy!

Swish - a real man, unlike Finch:prrr:

ForeverAutumn
11-30-2007, 01:02 PM
I will sit and drink pints of real beer with anyone for as long as they wish

So you're coming back to Canada to do some drinking are you? The first one's on me. :)

bobsticks
12-01-2007, 10:15 AM
...alike. Trying to rattle my cage when you know I can't do anything about it since I'm so far away. I will sit and drink pints of real beer with anyone for as long as they wish and see who would be the last man standing. That would be me.

Wussy!

Swish - a real man, unlike Finch:prrr:

What, no half-yards? Commawn G, if you're gonna bring it, bring it like a man...

http://www.octopuscc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Edyard.jpg