boston acoustics VR975..repair or replace?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : boston acoustics VR975..repair or replace??

s_lapid
11-29-2007, 09:18 PM
I've enjoyed these impressive speakers for about six years. lately,something went wrong and the active subs are making a strange quick clicking noise.. I have to de-activate the power to the speaker thus losing the built in sub woofers ..
Does it make sense to assume that both amps are caput?? at the same age??
what would you reccomend ,to give up on the integral subs and just buy an independant sub?
what would be wiser (financially &sound quality ) to send these towers for repair or buying a new sub instead??

thanxx

s_lapid
11-30-2007, 05:44 AM
I opedned the speakers today and discovered that the rubbber-foam rings around the membranes of both subs are almost totally torn..:nonod:
that explains the rattle and clicks i've been hearing.
still the question remains. can speaker repairs be reliable & durable?
or is inevitable to order whole new elements?or just disconnect these pair and buy a good single sub?

thanx again..

basite
11-30-2007, 10:09 AM
played them really loud jbefore it started?

the only explanation I can find for that is that the subs are blown, due to overpowering. you can repair that, but I think it's wiser to get replacement woofers from Boston acoustics themselves...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JSE
11-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I have the VR 965 towers and I would replace the woofer if I had the same problem. Contact BA direct and they should be able to supply you with a replacement woofer. You never know, they might even warranty it.

I love my 965's and really liked the 975's. They are great speakers. I would fix them.

JSE