Philips MMS321/17 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Philips MMS321/17

SpankingVanillaice
11-29-2007, 07:46 PM
I just got these speakers and they sound soo amazing. They have alot of bass for there size. But anyways I have sold all of the stereos, speakers etc I had in the past and only got these $60 PC speakers since I wanted something that sounds good and simple. I noticed that they go from 50hz to 20kHz so that's really good and plus they go 80 watts total power. They also use Neodynium magnet system.

Here's a link for the specs for these cool powered speakers.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mms321_17/mms321_17_pss_aen.pdf

Here's a pic of them.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mms321_17/mms321_17_rtp_.jpg

SpankingVanillaice
11-29-2007, 08:01 PM
One thing that is amazing is that the speakers makes the bass sound like a 2.1 system even it's only a 2.0 system. It says that on the box and on the specs.

GMichael
11-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Cool looking speakers Spanky. How do you like the sound?

Long time no post. How's it going?

SpankingVanillaice
11-30-2007, 06:38 AM
I' am doing fine I' am still with my boyfriend Adam and we both love each other very much. We have been together for almost 3 years and 6 months. I hope we will always love each other alot. Anyways the speakers do sound very good and pack alot of power for its size. The highs are very clear too. The tweeters, mid range and the sub on each speakers are made of pure Aluminium drivers with high-strength Neodymium magnets. Also the Tweeters are made of Mylar material for high definition sound.

SpankingVanillaice
11-30-2007, 06:50 AM
When I tested the speakers I can say they really do go low bass but I can say that of cource if you got a sub it will give more lower end. Since 50hz isn't low as 30hz like most subs go. I can say the Altec Lansing BXR1121 can give more lower end bass since it has a 4in sub with a pretty good size box for a 4in. The BXR1121 goes low as 30hz. But the highs are much more clean and clear and sounds like high end JBL or other high end tweeters on the Philips MMS321/17. Overall they are great sounding speakers with high end drivers.

basite
11-30-2007, 08:21 AM
*opens door*

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHRG!

we use these speakers at school somewhere...
someone punched in the tweeters and they still sound the same...
so High end drivers you said?

*quickly closes door*

*Runs away*

GMichael
11-30-2007, 09:41 AM
I have a $100 set of Altec Lancing speakers hooked up to my PC. At low volumes they sound remarkably well.

basite
11-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I have a $100 set of Altec Lancing speakers hooked up to my PC. At low volumes they sound remarkably well.

I have a $400 set of cambridge soundworks speakers (5.1 set) hooked up to my pc, with Creative Audigy 2 ZS card...

they do sound good for gaming and basic pc use (which does not include listening to music), if you don't crank em...
they do their thing and I don't expect more from a pc speaker.

basite
11-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Sorry, no harm intended SVI, but since this is a public forum, with alot of people reading this, I do feel those specs should be corrected:

I just got these speakers and they sound soo amazing.(actually, they ain't much better than the usual pc speaker set) They have alot of bass for there size. But anyways I have sold all of the stereos, speakers etc I had in the past and only got these $60 PC speakers since I wanted something that sounds good and simple. I noticed that they go from 50hz to 20kHz (at -20db or so) so that's really good and plus they go 80 watts total power(20 watts RMS most likely at 10% THD). They also use Neodynium magnet system.

SpankingVanillaice
11-30-2007, 11:02 AM
Here are some specs and details for these cool speakers that sound soo good.

Stunning sound and style
Powerful bass pressure drivers
The MMS 321 conveys quality from every corner, from its Mylar tweeters to the powerful bass pressure drivers. You get a subwoofer sound from just two speakers, exclusively finished with performance-enhancing stainless steel.
Ultimate bass performance
•Powerful bass pressure drivers
•Dynamic bass boost - hear the deepest, richest bass
Connect to all your gear
•Perfect for MP3, PC, TV, CD & more
Multimedia sound sensation
•Tweeters made of Mylar material for high definition sound
•Aluminium drivers with high-strength Neodymium magnets
Contemporary design
•Stainless steel design & stand - high performance with style

Multimedia Speaker 2.0 MMS321/17
Specifications Product highlights
Sound
•Frequency response: 50 - 20.000 Hz
•Music Power: 80 W
•Volume Control: Analogue Volume Control
•Wires: Fixed Wires
•Sound Enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost, Treble Boost
•Bass optimalization
•Bass enhancement: Dynamic Bass Boost
•Loudspeaker Enhancement: Magnetic Shielded LSB
•Output power (RMS): 2 x 20W
Loudspeakers
•Loudspeaker Enhancement: Magnetic Shielded LSB
•Neodynium magnet system
•Aluminium cone
•CD tweeter
•Mylar dome
•2x 50mm woofer: Aluminium
Connectivity
•Cable length: 1.8 m
•Connector: 3.5 mm stereo
Convenience
•Power on indication
Power
•Power LED indicator: Blue
Packaging content
•Number of satellites: 2
•Amplifier
•3.5 mm stereo line cable
•Quick installation guide
Packaging Data
•Quantity: 1
•EAN/UPC/GTIN: 0 26616 025633
•Gross weight: 3.4 kg
•Length: 170 mm
•Width: 220 mm
•Height: 310 mm
•12NC: 908210006979
•Tare weight: 0.35 kg
Outer Carton
•EAN/UPC/GTIN: 1002661602563
•Gross weight: 854 kg
•Height: 329 mm
•Length: 369 mm
•Quantity: 2
•Tare weight: 0.9 kg
•Width: 346 mm

Issue date 2007-08-04
Version: 3.0
12 NC: 9082 100 06979
UPC: 0 26616 02563 3
© 2007 Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V.
All Rights reserved.
Specifications are subject to change without notice. Trademarks are the property of Koninklijke Philips Electronics N.V. or their respective owners.
www.philips.com
Powerful bass pressure drivers
The unique design gives you a virtual subwoofer experiance from just two compact speakers. The subwoofer has been engineered extensively and integrated in the speakers.
Dynamic bass boost
Innovative technology delivers unbelievably deep, rich bass from compact speakers. Dynamic bass boost emphasizes the bass content of the music throughout the range of volume settings from low to high – at the touch of a button!
Perfect for MP3, PC, TV & more
Connect your speakers to all your gear. A great way to listen to your MP3 player, PC, TV, CD, DVD and all your multimedia stuff.
Mylar tweeters
The unique Mylar material of the dual-form dome tweeters ensure incredible sound definition. Music comes to life and movies sound like they were meant to, as the full range of high frequencies is perfectly reproduced.
Aluminium drivers
These aluminium drivers feature high-strength Neodymium magnets. Quality materials and optimized design ensure consistent performance throughout the entire audio range
Stainless steel design & stand
The stylish housing and stand of the speakers are made of stainless steel to increase the durability and the visual performance of the product. A stylish way to enhance the superlative audio performance of your speakers.

GMichael
11-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Why do I feel like the little Dutch boy standing at the bottom of the dam?

basite
11-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Why do I feel like the little Dutch boy standing at the bottom of the dam?

you mean like that I'm saying things and he just won't understand I'm right and he's wrong? :sosp:

I get that feeling all the time when I'm posting in a SVI thread...

btw, where are all the others at?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
11-30-2007, 11:33 AM
you mean like that I'm saying things and he just won't understand I'm right and he's wrong? :sosp:

I get that feeling all the time when I'm posting in a SVI thread...

btw, where are all the others at?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Your second thought is more of what I mean. There will be others who read this and post. Some of them may not be so nice. I can't hold back the flood gates for long.

bobsticks
11-30-2007, 04:26 PM
Dallas, welcome back to the forum. Congratulations on finding something that makes you happy.

basite
12-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Dallas, welcome back to the forum. Congratulations on finding something that makes you happy.

yeah, I might not like them, but as long you're happy it's good :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

SlumpBuster
12-01-2007, 04:23 AM
Hey Bert,

What's the problem with Neodynium? I know what it is, but can't say I've knowingly listened to speakers with such a magnet. I was just looking at some in the Parts Express Catalogue. Is there some kind of draw back?

basite
12-01-2007, 04:27 AM
Hey Bert,

What's the problem with Neodynium? I know what it is, but can't say I've knowingly listened to speakers with such a magnet. I was just looking at some in the Parts Express Catalogue. Is there some kind of draw back?

there's no problem with neodynium at all, as a matter of fact, it's supposed to be better than ferrite magnets. But having a neodynium magnet in $60 pc speakers doesn't make them high end, nor will they sound much better because they use neodynium magnets. I agree that it would have a bigger influence on the sound if the driver itselves is actually good too...
Neodynium magnets do tend to get hot, and therefor they have to be cooled, not that this is a problem though...
alot of speakers today have neodynium magnets, especially for tweeters...

SlumpBuster
12-01-2007, 04:39 AM
Thanks Bert. Looks like I was just reading too fast. I thought you were criticizing them. I thought there might be some magnet controversy I wasn't aware of. :D

filecat13
12-01-2007, 08:37 PM
Say, where'd those Edirols go? They were the best.

PizzaSHARK!
08-08-2009, 04:58 AM
Sorry for bumping this, but I found this while doing a Google search for reviews of these speakers. My current set are pretty much done, and I've been looking for replacements, and figured it'd be best to get as much information about my current set before buying a new set... hence, why I was looking for reviews.

I picked them up for about $50 in a Wal-mart when my previous set didn't survive the move to the new apartment.

For $50 and a system without a subwoofer, they provide acceptable lows and solid highs, but that's about it. I'm not much of an audiophile, so I don't know if they're really producing the 80W they claim, but I do know that at higher volumes and bass settings, they vibrate quite a bit, creating distortion. They're also incredibly top-heavy - chances are, if you bump into the desk they're sitting on, they're going to fall over and maybe even fall off. They also tend to slide around at higher volume levels - the bases of the speakers are incredibly flimsy... while the upper areas might be steel (though they feel and sound more like thick aluminum), the little metal feet clearly aren't.

Construction, in general, seems to be pretty poor... I'm having to replace my set because the little metal plate covering the bass on the bottom of the speakers has almost completely peeled off of the right speaker, and is peeling away on the bottom of the left speaker - at anything above mild volumes, the metal plate on the right speaker will flop off completely, which utterly destroys the bass produced. Again, it feels like they're putting too much power into drivers that aren't built to handle it... or they're not expecting people to operate them at more than maybe one-third maximum volume (I operate them at about two-thirds with computer volume itself at maximum.)

Cabling isn't too bad between the two satellites, but they have a huge converter, adapter, or something that acts as a go-between between the satellites and the PC itself - this thing's probably 4x6 inches, weighs almost three pounds, and produces a startling amount of heat. You could probably fit a small subwoofer into the same space occupied by it.

For $50-$70, they aren't horrible, but you really can do better for the price - the Logitech Z-4 2.1 setup goes for around $60 plus shipping (which can be up to $30 in some places), and outperforms the MMS321 in every area except maybe raw wattage. You can up the ante and get the Z-2300's for around $80-$100 plus shipping, or go down to the S220 for around $30 plus shipping and get performance that's at least equal at a better price point.

If you're in a situation where you can't use a subwoofer and don't need to use high volumes, the MMS321's seem like a pretty nice deal... but I honestly think I'd rather buy a $60 headset than this system.

erwin.zeez
04-17-2010, 03:26 AM
I just got these speakers and they sound soo amazing. They have alot of bass for there size. But anyways I have sold all of the stereos, speakers etc I had in the past and only got these $60 PC speakers since I wanted something that sounds good and simple. I noticed that they go from 50hz to 20kHz so that's really good and plus they go 80 watts total power. They also use Neodynium magnet system.

Here's a link for the specs for these cool powered speakers.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mms321_17/mms321_17_pss_aen.pdf

Here's a pic of them.

http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mms321_17/mms321_17_rtp_.jpg

well they are looking great in pics ;)
i have them
and personally agreed with SpankingVanillaice