Receiver advice? Same question different set-up [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Receiver advice? Same question different set-up

K-yle_style
11-29-2007, 10:18 AM
I have the following equipment:

Samsung LN-T4669FX - 46" 1080p LCD HDTV
Toshiba HD-A35 - HD DVD Player - 1080p
Klipsch Reference Series Speakers
Xbox 360 Premium - component
Pioneer Elite Receiver VSX-21 - Being replaced

I am in need of a new receiver and so far these are the things that I have researched so that I can get the most out of my equipment.

- 3-4 1.3a HDMI Inputs/ 1 output
- Deep color capability, as my TV can accept it
- 1080p upconversion
- Dolby True HD
- CEC: Consumer Electronic Control / Smart HDMI

I would like to keep it under $1000 via internet pricing, not store prices. I have come across a couple receivers I thought would have everything I need, but I'm asking on here because I'm not an expert.

Denon AVR-3808CI
Pioneer Elite VSX-94/2TXH
Onkyo TXSR705S
Yamaha RX-V1800

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

L.J.
11-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Wow, that's a tough choice of units to choose from. All good choices and really hard to go wrong either way. Not sure if the Denon or Elites can be found for under 1K. Yammie really didn't offer much over last year models except for HD audio decoding. I'd take a look at the 805 over 705. The 805 is a beast and I think Onkyo is offering the most bang for the buck right now. You should be able to find the 805 at Circuit City for about $800-900.

I'm curious, why are you replacing your current AVR?

K-yle_style
11-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. About Onkyo, I heard that they might not be the best on the video side of things. I am replacing my current AVR because it's out dated and won't let me achieve optimal performance out of my tv, dvd player, and xbox 360.

L.J.
11-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the advice. About Onkyo, I heard that they might not be the best on the video side of things. I am replacing my current AVR because it's out dated and won't let me achieve optimal performance out of my tv, dvd player, and xbox 360.

I'm not sure what kinda options you have on your display, but why not run your HD DVD player via HDMI & 360 via component directly to your TV?

Audio could be ran from your 360 to your current AVR via optical cable and you could use the 5.1 analog outputs from your A35 to your current AVR to enjoy TrueHD. I'm not sure if the A35 is able to send DTSMA outside the player, if so, than that's the only thing you would lose, but that's not really a big deal since there are only a handful of DTSMA titles.

Just a thought :)

K-yle_style
11-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I am doing what you are suggesting right now and I'm not utilizing my technology. I'm missing out on upconverting to 1080p, 1.3a deep color, CEC, Dolby True HD, plus just one HDMI cable going to my TV so running it behind the wall won't be hard.

L.J.
11-29-2007, 01:51 PM
You don't need HDMI for TrueHD. Your player will decode it and output it over the 5.1 analog.

I don't think any discs support deep color or will anytime soon. Nice to have but no support.

The upconversion can come in handy if your running multiple non HD sources like a VCR or Sega Dreamcast. But odds are your gonna use your A35 which is a 1080p source and my understanding is that the Toshibas do a pretty good job at scaling dvd's to 1080p. I think the 360 outputs 1080p via component, so your OK there. The only other thing would be cable. Your TV probably does a decent job at scaling those sources to 1080p.

OK, you got me with 1 cable behind the wall. Not sure if that's worth $1K though.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. Just saying that it may be a lot of money spent for a little bit of gain.

musicman1999
11-29-2007, 01:59 PM
I agree with L.J., a new receiver will not do a whole lot for you.Btw i don't think your tv does deep color anyway but thats not a big deal because there are no films that support it yet, that i know of and no one knows when there will be.If you like the sound of what you have why buy something else?

bill

K-yle_style
11-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Doesn't component only support 1080i since it is an analog signal?

L.J.
11-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Doesn't component only support 1080i since it is an analog signal?

I think your right. I thought I read somewhere that the 360 could output 1080p over component, maybe it is just 1080i. Your TV will still scale it to 1080p if that's the case.

pixelthis
11-30-2007, 01:00 AM
Componet is analog, so you would probably lose any advantage to running 1080p over it anyway.
I mentioned this on another thread, but I'll repeat it here, My integra is "obsolete"
by your standards but I wont be replacing it anytime soon, a 1200$ item is nothing you get rid of lightly.
If you want to run just one hdmi cable for some reason get a switchbox,
thats what I did, I didnt replace my tv because it has just one hdmi.
And dont go chasing too much new tech, also, a lot is what people in the software biz call "vaporware"
My integra has a great set of amps, so if you are bound and determined get an onkyo,
or spend a few more bucks and get their lexus, Integra.
They have pretty little colored plugs on the back, BTW.
I have run into this sort of thing half a dozen times, and while I am king at rationalizing a new toy purchase, buying "toys" like food get in the way, so you might want to analyze
your situation, does it require new gear or a little bit of ingenuity, or some finangling.
(A receiver being Pioneer is reason enough to replace it usually, tho):1:

K-yle_style
11-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I think I am going to stick with my current AVR for the time being. I have one more question, are digital optical cables pretty much all the same, or does it make sense to buy name brand? I have one now, but it's about 7 years old and I need 2 more to run from my tv to my AVR and from my 360 to my AVR.

L.J.
11-30-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the advice from everyone. I think I am going to stick with my current AVR for the time being. I have one more question, are digital optical cables pretty much all the same, or does it make sense to buy name brand? I have one now, but it's about 7 years old and I need 2 more to run from my tv to my AVR and from my 360 to my AVR.

I have cables that are older than that. Any cable should be fine but some are made better than others. Does this equal better sound? Beats me. No need to go out and purchase $100 cables from Monster or anything like that. I like bluejeanscable.com. Very well made custom length cables for a decent price.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm

You can also try monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229) or partsexpress.com (http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=56&ObjectGroup_ID=151)

BTW, good choice not to dump your AVR. If your itching to spend your money, you can invest on upgrades that optimize your systems performance. Video calibrations tools like DVE or Avia, spl meter from radioshack, or a nice universal remote from Harmony.

pixelthis
12-03-2007, 02:36 AM

Digital is digital, doesnt make much difference as far as cables are concerned.
GOOD IDEA TO KEEP YOUR RECEIVER BUT CONSIDER THIS,
you might want to think about a high quality amp to power your system, using your
receiver as a "pre pro", when your're ready you can replace your receiver with a pre pro
and you'll already have an amp to plug into it.
If you ever want a first class system seperates is the way to go, and this is what a lot of people do when upgrading to a seperates system.
Its not that your receiver itself is a problem, just that sooner or later you might outgrow the receiver concept itself, and buying an amp, using the receiver as a prepro, then getting a real prepro later is a great way to decide if thats the way you want to go, and lessens the finacial hit somewhat

K-yle_style
12-03-2007, 12:10 PM
You're going way over my head with the "pre-pro" talk. I have understand what an amp is and that's about it.