JM Lab SIB Impedance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : JM Lab SIB Impedance

SAPSEC
11-29-2007, 02:11 AM
Has anyone used these speakers ? In JMLab SIB production sheet it marks nominal impedance as 8 ohms. However, the information in JMLab SIB user manual says the nominal impedance is 6 ohms. Is this speaker 6 ohms or 8 ohms ? My receiver must take speakers 8 ohms and up (can't be lower - will burn receiver). Is there any technical difference between current version (black jet finish) and its previous versions of Technic (black/silver) & Classic (wallnut/silver) ? Thanks

basite
11-29-2007, 08:09 AM
it seems unlikely that your receiver won't take 6 ohm speakers,
I mean, it has to be some cheapo boombox receiver to not accept other impedences than 8 ohm, and even those can take lower...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Pat D
11-29-2007, 02:43 PM
Has anyone used these speakers ? In JMLab SIB production sheet it marks nominal impedance as 8 ohms. However, the information in JMLab SIB user manual says the nominal impedance is 6 ohms. Is this speaker 6 ohms or 8 ohms ? My receiver must take speakers 8 ohms and up (can't be lower - will burn receiver). Is there any technical difference between current version (black jet finish) and its previous versions of Technic (black/silver) & Classic (wallnut/silver) ? Thanks

What model receiver do you have?

The Focal website says the minimum impedance of the SIB is 4 ohms, so off hand, I would consider it to be a 4 ohm speaker. Whether your receiver is suitable for driving it to loud levels is difficult to say without further information, although you probably are making a mountain out of a molehill. It depends on the capabilities of your receiver and how loud you play the music.

SAPSEC
11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
What model receiver do you have?

The Focal website says the minimum impedance of the SIB is 4 ohms, so off hand, I would consider it to be a 4 ohm speaker. Whether your receiver is suitable for driving it to loud levels is difficult to say without further information, although you probably are making a mountain out of a molehill. It depends on the capabilities of your receiver and how loud you play the music.

I use Yamaha RXV-520 and I use both A & B speaker systems at the same time. In the back of receiver it says:

* A or B => each speaker imp must be > 4 ohms.
* A + B => each speaker imp must be > 8 ohms.

That's why I want to verify if JM Lab SIB are really 8 ohms or 6 ohms. If 8 my receiver can take it, otherwise (6 ohms), my receiver will get burned. Thanks

basite
11-30-2007, 08:42 AM
don't worry, your amp will take 6 ohm speakers just fine.

if it only accepted 8 ohm speakers, it would burn after all, since I don't know a single 8 ohm speaker that is 8ohm over the whole power bandwith, they always have a dip (this can be a big dip) somewhere...

Pat D
11-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I use Yamaha RXV-520 and I use both A & B speaker systems at the same time. In the back of receiver it says:

* A or B => each speaker imp must be > 4 ohms.
* A + B => each speaker imp must be > 8 ohms.

That's why I want to verify if JM Lab SIB are really 8 ohms or 6 ohms. If 8 my receiver can take it, otherwise (6 ohms), my receiver will get burned. Thanks

I see your concern.

I believe your RX-V 520 is a five channel receiver, so you should be able to run each of the 4 speakers off of different channels. That should be OK, although with a single power supply, the maximum power available from each channel will be somewhat less than with two channel, but that should not be a problem at reasonable listening levels. Yamaha receivers are pretty robust.