Subs: Velodyne or DefTech??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Subs: Velodyne or DefTech???

ji0921
02-29-2004, 07:30 PM
Which is better, Velodyne SPL-1000 or DefTech Supercube I? Both uses a 10-inch driver and Class D 1,500w amplifier. Retail price is U$1,299 for Velodyne and $1,200 for DefTech. It will be used primarily for HT.

This Guy
03-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Does it have to be a little 10"er? Just cause they have those big amps, doesn't mean they will go real loud, small woofers in small boxes= very inefficient and need lots of power. Big boxes, big drivers=more efficient and louder and lower with not as much power (also cheaper). I'd get either this

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=13710832&St=3986&St2=36049461&St3=-28592875&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=167009&DID=7

hell, if you have that much I'd get two and stack them in a corner. If you could ame your own sub you could build a tumult.

The Tumult works best in a 2 cubic foot sealed box (pretty small), and you could get that same 1000 watt amp shown previously. That will go loud, and low, while remaining in a small box. I think the second option would work best for you. Sorry, I'm very DIY biased.
http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/drivers/adire/tumult.htm (world's highest excurision 15"er I believe)
-Joey

ji0921
03-01-2004, 06:23 PM
I don't trust myself with DIY. I would go that route definitely if I felt comfortable 'cause I'd save tons of money :)

koop
03-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Does it have to be a little 10"er? Just cause they have those big amps, doesn't mean they will go real loud, small woofers in small boxes= very inefficient and need lots of power. Big boxes, big drivers=more efficient and louder and lower with not as much power (also cheaper). I'd get either this

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=13710832&St=3986&St2=36049461&St3=-28592875&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=167009&DID=7

hell, if you have that much I'd get two and stack them in a corner. If you could ame your own sub you could build a tumult.

The Tumult works best in a 2 cubic foot sealed box (pretty small), and you could get that same 1000 watt amp shown previously. That will go loud, and low, while remaining in a small box. I think the second option would work best for you. Sorry, I'm very DIY biased.
http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/drivers/adire/tumult.htm (world's highest excurision 15"er I believe)
-Joey

This Guy, can you give me some history on your experience with these subs? Do you work for them, own them? You definetly seem to be a fan and your enthusiam is infectious.

Do any other audiophiles have some input that I may have missed in the past?

This Guy
03-01-2004, 07:08 PM
I reccomended two different subs from two different companies that in some cases rival each other with certain speakers, how could I work for them? I have bought products from partsexpress and have been very satisifed. I am still young yet, my dad builds speakers and I know the bang for your buck you get with doing it by yourself compared to buying at retail. When you do it yourself, you can know what to expect in a certain box, some companies get away with stuff they shouldn't, I'm not accussing any company specifically, but it does happen. I'm just trying to give this guy another option and save his money.

-Joey

This Guy
03-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Alright I respect that. Does the sub have to be small, and would you mind usig two? I'd really check out the SVSubwoofers. They go very loud and offer a ton of HT impact. There is only so much a single 10" can do. The spl-1000 is an impressive sub, but won't have anywhere near the displacement of two 12" svsubwoofers. Also check out the Paradigm servo-15, almost flat down to 14 hertz, but this is geared more towards music due to it's sealed box, and being servo-controlled (eliminates a lot of distortion making it sound quicker and/or more accurate). Also check out the VMPS subwoofers. Oh and i almost forgot HSU subs, you gotta check out the VTF-3R, it has a very beautiful rosewood finish, you could get the regular one for a considerable amount less.

-Joey

ji0921
03-01-2004, 07:25 PM
I was just curious as to which was better regardless of size. Actually, I was looking for a sub much more affordable than those two. Any recommendation for a sub-U$1,000 subwoofer to be used primarily for HT in a medium sized room? Also, another important info, I live in Asia so I'd prefer a more well-known brand that has a distributor in my area. Companies like Hsu and SVS doesn't have a distributor here which is a bummer! I heard a lot of great reviews about these two and the price of their subs makes sense to me. Oh well...*sigh*

Velodyne, Paradigm, M&K, JBL, etc...most of these well known companies should have a distributor in my area. Look forward to inputs from you guys. Thanks a bunch!

Laps
03-02-2004, 08:36 AM
I have to have the Definitive Tech Supercube and an older Velodyne subwoofer(ULD-15). While it's difficult to compare them directly, the Supercube is in my HT and the Velodyne is in my stereo system, I can say that both are excellent. The Supercube is more than adequate in conjuction with the Def Tech HT setup (I bought all of their 5.1 system). I enjoy the Velodyne for its ability to merge with the main speakers, and of course both are adjustable for gain-volume. The Def Tech does have the additional ability for phase and crossover adjustment on the back of the unit.

Mr Peabody
03-02-2004, 06:33 PM
I have the SPL 1200 and I found it to be amazing. If you haven't yet, you need to listen to the SPL. You will tell immediately these subs are something special. They are able to play extremely low without intruding on the rest of the frequency range. At the beginning of the 2nd Star Wars movie when the ship is landing you can physically feel it throughout the room. As far as being loud, I have never had my sub volume above 2 and my preamp is set at 0dB. It has no problem keeping up with my Krell 250x2 amp. My room is about 12x20. Explosions in Pearl Harbor are incrediblely deep. I definitely think you would be happy with the Velodyne. The SPL also offers you a very small package and useful features.

andrus
03-02-2004, 08:13 PM
When in doubt go with Velodyne. You really can't go wrong with Velo. Some say velo uses cheap materials blah blah blah. So do other manufactures?!

Velodyne knows what's up with subs. It's a pretty safe bet when you aren't sure about other mom and pop dinky little sweat shop operations.

I built a DIY 214L sub with Adire Tempest and let me tell you it was a back breaking dirty nasty work. Had i known what i know now I woulda just went for a good used SPL12 or VTF3, sorry no SVS i don't believe in cardboard cylinder con-jobs. Plus DIY has no resale value.

koop
03-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Andrus, I had not thought of the resale value which is a good point. The actual work happens to be the sort of thing I do in my free time (to each his cup of tea I guess). You did not mention your opinion on the sound quality.
Does anyone else have DIY experiences they wish to share?????