5.1 vs. 6.1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 vs. 6.1

elvisisded
02-29-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm getting ready to get a new A/V receiver. I really don't have a good place to put a middle surround speaker because of the way my living room is set up. Should I just get a 5.1 reciever and forget about the 6.1. Is there really that much difference? Will i be missing out on anything I can't live without? Thanks for any and all input.

cam
02-29-2004, 04:58 PM
If your couch is right up against the back wall stay with 5.1. You can still buy a 6.1 or 7.1 receiver but you would be configuring it to 5.1. You won't really be wasting the wattage from the 1 or 2 channels not being used because all the power comes from the power supply anyways. It means you will have more reserve power for 5.1. I have tried 6.1 and 7.1 and I have about 11 feet behind my couch but I found it distracting so I am staying with 5.1. I really tried to convince myself 6.1-7.1 was better but whenever I turned of the center rear surround I liked it better. Alot of people absolutely love it in 6.1-7.1 but there are also some like me who prefer 5.1.

Geoffcin
02-29-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm getting ready to get a new A/V receiver. I really don't have a good place to put a middle surround speaker because of the way my living room is set up. Should I just get a 5.1 reciever and forget about the 6.1. Is there really that much difference? Will i be missing out on anything I can't live without? Thanks for any and all input.

Mostly all decent receivers are now 6.1 or 7.1. There's no reason to not get one just because it's difficult to get the speakers in your setup. I had a difficult decision to make myself. I just bought a couple of inwall speakers for the rear surrounds. Not exactly what I wanted, but I'm sure it will work out fine.

elvisisded
02-29-2004, 05:16 PM
The major setup problem I have is the couch is against the wall and just above that is a very large window. My only option would be to mount the middle surround speaker near the ceiling. Do the current 6.1 and 7.1 recievers have features that I can't get with the 5.1 that I can still use?

cam
02-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Mounting a center rear channel directly above you when your couch is already against the back wall I would highly recommend against it and so would just about everyone else. Just about every manufacturer out there has probably an entry level receiver that is only 5.1, and it is usually a very stripped down model. When you step up to the 6.1-7.1 receivers you always get more power, more features, and better sound even though you may use these 6.1-7.1 receivers for just 5.1. When you get your 6.1-7.1 receiver you can always set it up for 5.1 and see if you can borrow a buddies speaker and try out 6.1 for yourself and see if you like it. Try putting the speaker above some how or maybe behind the couch facing up from the floor.

uncooked
02-29-2004, 09:18 PM
hey elvis, why dont you skip 6.1 and right to 7.1. if you cant fit one right behind you. put 2 extra ones on either side. you might as well if your going for a new receiver anyways. all depends on if you have room on either side of you in the room.

elvisisded
02-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Any thoughts on an entry level 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1? I've read some good things about Pioneer. I'd like to stay in the $300 range.

uncooked
02-29-2004, 09:35 PM
depends on what your going for, your going to have to make up your mind what you really want, a 5.1, a 6.1, or a 7.1 amp. i would defenitely try to go 7.1 if it works good for the room, if not just stick with the 5.1, becuase 6.1 isn't a option right.

good receiver for 300 bucks. im from canada so prices are different, but i ll say what i like, yamaha htr-5650 would be around that price range, it is 6.1 with all the bells and whistles, 80x6 with .06 thd which is very good. and it is loud and clear. or maybe even the htr-5660 same thing as the 5650 but with 5 more watts a channel, but the big thing is that it has preouts, which may come in handy in the future.

markw
03-01-2004, 03:51 AM
My Denon 2802 is a 6.1 model but it can be set up a 5.1 with no problem. That's good because I don't have room for that center rear channel myself. I'm pretty sure other receivers would allow this also.

To limit yourself to only 5.1 receivers will limit your selection tremendously.