a question or two about Yes's Drama CD [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : a question or two about Yes's Drama CD

3-LockBox
02-29-2004, 03:59 PM
I saw it at CC the other day and noticed that it was remastered with about 8 or 9 bonus tracks on it. I never even heard of it before and decided to research it over at AMG and Ground & Sky; it seems to get fairly good reviews. They liken it unto the '80s version of the band. Any comments about this release? Does anyone own the remastered copy yet?

Dusty Chalk
02-29-2004, 06:07 PM
I haven't picked up the remastered copy yet, but I will -- it has an insane amount of bonus tracks.

It's kind of a weird album -- I think it's the only one that Jon Anderson did not sing on, so it's missing that element. Personally, I didn't think Trevor Horn did that bad a job, but it is obviously a different vocalist -- Trevor still sings high and clean, but doesn't have Jon's angelic quality or lyrical optimism. But other than that, it's an amazingly good album. Completely under-rated. One of the heaviest tracks they ever did was probably "Machine Messiah" -- at least in terms of guitar tones. Huge sound. Yet still inimitably Steve Howe. Geoff Downes is no Rick Wakeman, but he certainly holds his own (he became famous for having a wall of synthesizers in concert at the time). You've probably even heard two of their catchiest tracks from that album, the funky syncopated bass driven "Tempus Fugit" and the organ driven "Does It Really Happen?" (or is it the other way around? I always mix those two up). "White Car" is borderline disposable, but short enough not to be intrusive (think: "Cans & Brahms"). "Into the Lens" is an excellent remake of a Buggles tune (or is it the other way around), introducing all the classic Yes elements for this version (everyone has a part to play). The overall production has a more typical 80's sheen -- similar to 90125, which I find enjoyable -- Trevor Horn is a genius (I don't think he technically produced this album, but it still has his "sound"). I think the songwriting is as strong on this album as it was on Going for the One, and has a similar "rock'n'roll" type sound. Overall, highly recommended.

In fact, while I'm pulling out some GvsB CD's, I think I'll put on my HDCD of this album. Thanks for putting that suggestion in my head.

newtrix1
02-29-2004, 06:30 PM
My copy says "digitally remastered by Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital" on the back cover, but it doesn't contain any bonus material.
Dusty's review is spot-on, and imo Drama is one of, if not the best, post 70's Yes albums.

BarryL
02-29-2004, 08:06 PM
I saw it at CC the other day and noticed that it was remastered with about 8 or 9 bonus tracks on it. I never even heard of it before and decided to research it over at AMG and Ground & Sky; it seems to get fairly good reviews. They liken it unto the '80s version of the band. Any comments about this release? Does anyone own the remastered copy yet?

I have the new CD. It doesn't sound that much different than the non-bonus track version, except the overall volume is louder, which helps with the clarity. Steve Howe rips on this CD. The bass guitar could be punchier, but I guess that's a remixing and not re-mastering issue. The bonus tracks are interesting and are a mixed bag. There are about four tracks that are so-so by the Drama line-up, one I think is an instrumental. There are two "studio-run-throughs" which are interesting, but not that interesting. For the most part, they shouldn't be on the release. They were never meant to be issued. Basically, it is rehearsal tape, The final three tracks are more interesting because they are by the classic Yes line-up of Anderson, Howe, Squire, Wakeman and White, and were produced by Roy Thomas Baker, perhaps most famous for his work with Queen on Night at the Opera and others. The songs are short, and not really that good, but if you love Yes, they are interesting.

If you like progressive rock or art rock, this album is a unique classic. It is perhaps the hardest rocking Yes album ever, and the most progressive album of the genre released in the 1980s.

Dave_G
03-01-2004, 06:43 AM
Barry hit it right on. It's great stuff, altho no Jon, but I still like it a lot, it's a real powerful album with searing guitar and bass work a-plenty.

The new Rhino remaster adds a ton of extras too, but I really could care less about that stuff, the album itself is too darn good.

Dave