BEST $400 or under home theater in a box to pair with Sony Bravia 55" SXRD television [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : BEST $400 or under home theater in a box to pair with Sony Bravia 55" SXRD television

jlhunter2008
11-25-2007, 05:39 PM
I just recently purchased a Sony Bravia 55" A-Series SXRD projection HDTV television and I wanted you guys choice for the best home theater in a box for under $400. I appreciate the help!

johnny p
11-25-2007, 05:53 PM
not sure about everyone else, but I'd "ditch" the idea of a home theater in a box for under $400, and try to find a used receiver for $150 or so, and put the rest in two speakers up front, and add later........ I found a local shop that has consignments (didn't get anything) maybe that's an option too.

jlhunter2008
11-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I appreciate the advice but money is tight because of christmas. So I need you guys advice on the best home theater system for under $500. I again I appreciate the advice

pixelthis
11-27-2007, 02:20 AM
I appreciate the advice but money is tight because of christmas. So I need you guys advice on the best home theater system for under $500. I again I appreciate the advice
Get something from onkyo, I think they have one thats pretty inexpensive.
If moneys "tight" the best solution is whatever cheap piece of crap was just unloaded from the boat from China. Theres an entire universe of them, and they all suck.
But you could replace them when moneys "loose".
YOU see, a cheap HTIB kinda defeats the purpose of having a nice SXRD tv,
Kinda like puting a pinto engine in a farrari.
But if you insist, sony makes a HTIP with a clock radio sized control center and speakers the size of quarters, with a sub you can hide.
They sell em at sears and the remote will be compatible with your set
And they suck too, BTW:1:

GMichael
11-27-2007, 06:26 AM
I understand how budgets can be. But you are never going to find a HTIB that will be worth it's weight in spit. You can piece together a fairly nice system though. It won't be the greatest HT, but it will sound very nice and impress your friends. I'm going to give you one example. It's far from your only choice. You may be able to find better for less. And the links I give you are not even the best place to buy the items on my list. It's just an easy way for me to show you what you can find for cheap that will blow away any HTIB system.

The receiver: Try the The Onkyo TX-SR505. See here for stats. http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=10420&i=580TXS505B&c=4&tp=179&avf=N

6 of these speakers. The Infinity Primus P152's. See here. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YrAzCIpj9TB/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=108P152&s=0&cc=01

This already gets you up to $525 though. And you'll still need a sub. Here's is a decent sub for $270. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-770

You can get DVD players for $30 these days.

A little over your budget, but this would kill a HTIB. And I bet you could find the receiver and speakers for less if you dig a little.
I just threw this together in a few minutes with little research. Some time and effort could yield you more, for less.

Warning, you may become addicted to HT after owning these. And then you'll get the upgrade bug.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to AR. Be sure to let us know what you end up getting and how you like it.

johnny p
11-27-2007, 08:57 AM
I'd prioritize, and pick up a used receiver for around $150 or so, and buy two nice front speakers, and a center channel, and tap out the budget..... then buy some small satelites for surrounds and a sub, when the budget allows it. There's always craigslist, but I'd be leary...... As far as that Sony set with the 'tiny' speakers.... that's what my Wife wanted me to get......... then I talked her into a "real" set.... as I told her!