Denon vs Yamaha vs Onkyo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon vs Yamaha vs Onkyo

cubdog
11-24-2007, 04:45 PM
I'm looking to replace my old Yamaha RVX995 with either a Denon ARV1708, Yamaha RVX661 or OnkyoTX-SR605. Do any of you guys own or have knowledge of these units? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

cubdog

jrhymeammo
11-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I think you can audition Yammie and Denon side by side at Listenup in Denver. Ask for Scott G. He'll lead you to everything you are looking for.

Regards,

gman086
11-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Funny you mention that. My 995 finally went belly up a couple months ago. I shopped aorund and went with Marantz as I found theirs to be superior to the ones you list (and Denon owns them as I understand). If you plan to go Blu-ray or HD-DVD and want true HD audio then get the new '08 versions with the HDMI ver. 1.3a inputs. I got a good deal on the '07 SR8001 but would rather have waited for the 8002 because of HDMI compatibility issues.

Have FUN!

G MAN

L.J.
11-25-2007, 05:24 PM
I agree with JR. Try to audition these units. If possible, do it at home with your setup. I own an AVR from each manf. that you listed and I wouldn't say that one stands out above the other. Your always gonna have your fanboys fighting over which is better. It comes down to what your needs are, which sounds the best to YOU and which one offers enough flexibility for room to grow. Heck, it may even come down to which one has the best remote :cornut:

ldgibson76
11-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Funny you mention that. My 995 finally went belly up a couple months ago. I shopped aorund and went with Marantz as I found theirs to be superior to the ones you list (and Denon owns them as I understand). If you plan to go Blu-ray or HD-DVD and want true HD audio then get the new '08 versions with the HDMI ver. 1.3a inputs. I got a good deal on the '07 SR8001 but would rather have waited for the 8002 because of HDMI compatibility issues.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Hello "G MAN!"

Denon does not own Marantz! Both Denon and Marantz are owned by D & M Holdings along with a slew of other CE manufacturers. http://www.dm-holdings.com/.
Enjoy your new SR8001.
Regards!

gman086
11-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Hello "G MAN!"

Denon does not own Marantz! Both Denon and Marantz are owned by D & M Holdings along with a slew of other CE manufacturers. http://www.dm-holdings.com/.
Enjoy your new SR8001.
Regards!

Ah! That's right. So there is no crossover in technology I would guess?

ldgibson76
11-28-2007, 12:20 PM
Ah! That's right. So there is no crossover in technology I would guess?

Although under the same umbrella, Denon and Marantz share very little. According to the reps from both companies, they are adamant about that very fact. If you where to dissect the Denon and Marantz products, you would find that they are very different. No doubt, they are separate and vastly different entities. Design philosophies, layout, performance, functionality, warranty and support, and marketing strategies are all different. When D&M Holdings acquired Marantz, they wanted Marantz to maintain/regain it's heritage as a high-end audio manufacturer. You will see that although the pricing is somewhat similar in the home theater line up, Marantz still has the Reference line which is still highly regarded in the hi-end market. http://us.marantz.com/default.asp