CD Lube job? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : CD Lube job?

thekid
11-23-2007, 06:47 PM
The Onkyo DX C101 5-disc CD player that was part of the rack system I picked up has a slight transport problem. The player has sat pretty much un-used for the past 10 years so I think it just needs a quick clean-any suggestions how to go about this?

PDN
11-24-2007, 06:58 PM
Well, I wouldn't take it apart and attempt to clean the laser lens or any parts inside, that's for sure. Take it to a factory authorized Onkyo repair center for a once over manitenance. I did this with an NAD CD Player I had. Cost me $140.00 though. As an alterative, Maxell and a few others make a CD lens cleaner disc. It has a little tiny brush on it that when the disc spins, it brushes ever so slightly up against the CD lens and cleans it. If the drawer is sticking, use some sort of a lubricant but I'm not sure which one. Perhaps if you go to your local Radio Shack, they can make a recommendation. If it's a spray, be careful not to get any excess spray inside the machine.

hydroman
11-28-2007, 07:53 AM
^not for the TRANSPORT. This is a good fix for skipping CDs.

I say yes - open it up and use a white lithium grease (sparingly) on the gears and moving bits.

emaidel
11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
None of the components of almost anyone's "rack system" were of a particularly high order of quality, so rather than spend about $140 to repair and/or clean that which you have, I'd strongly suggest looking for a new one, or a used, higher quality one on eBay.

thekid
11-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Hydro/E

Thanks for the replies.

I don't want to put much money into this unit as I recognize it is not of particularly high quality. My plan is to use it for my patio unit. I like the idea of having a 5-disc player that I can fill up and just let it play a couple of hours of music when we are outside on the patio.

Hydro-I am not familiar with the lithium grease you mention. How much is it and where would I get it?

Thanks!

hydroman
11-29-2007, 08:03 AM
A tube is cheap - either RatShack or auto parts stores have it. Cost? A few bucks...