that year-end creep... what 2007 releases should I catch up on? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : that year-end creep... what 2007 releases should I catch up on?

Rae
11-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Okay, it's after Thanksgiving now, so we can start talking about year-end lists, right?

I have not been the voracious seeker of new music that I once was, but I probably checked out a little more this year than I did last year, largely due to my return to this board. The '07 releases that have gotten the most play in my little basement apartment have been Nina Nastasia & Jim White - You Follow Me, Electrelane, Ted Leo, Jens Lekman, Talib Kweli, Vampire Hands, Gay Beast, Shellac, Dinosaur Jr, Loudon & Joe Henry's Knocked Up soundtrack... I'm sure there have been others that are escaping me.

Never checked out The National or Okkervil River, although I meant to. Also that new Blonde Redhead.

A few titles seemed to be consistently coming up on another board... anyone here heard any of these?

- Oxbow - The Narcotic Story
- Pissed Jeans - Hope For Men
- Clockcleaner - Babylon Rules
- Panda Bear - Person Pitch

I still have some time to catch up on whatever I missed. Looking forward to the new Skoal Kodiak LP but besides that I will probably buy a few more records this year, so suggest away!

~Rae

Slosh
11-23-2007, 04:36 PM
You absolutely need:

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
Iron & Wine - The Shepherd's Dog (A very pleasant surprise for me. Much more like In the Reins than Our Endless Numbered Days which is heading in a better direction in my book)
Josh Ritter - The Historical Conquests Of... (forget the alt-country J. Ritter of the past. This is a great rock record that pays tribute to 70s rock, and does it justice)

Future Of The Left, Les Savy Fav, Pinback, and Gruff Rhys are all very good as well but not essential IMO (at least not quite yet).

Rae
11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
Hmm, not much response to this thread. I stopped by the record store yesterday and ended up picking up Clockcleaner - Babylon Rules (which sounded good at first blush on the in-store listening station but not nearly as good when I got it home and played it at a reasonable volume) and Scout Niblett & Bonnie "Prince" Billy - This Fool Can Die Now (really good but it's my first exposure to Ms. Niblett so I can't say how it ranks with her other work). I also ended up getting The Stooges - Raw Power.

Thanks for yr suggestions, Slosh, I think I will check them out at that place where you can check things out.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
11-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Some of my faves from this year include:

Bright Eyes - Cassadaga

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare (this is soooo much better than their previous CD).

Rush - Snakes and Arrows. I'm not sure if you're a Rush fan Rae. If you are then you need this record...the best they've done in a long time. If you're not, then don't bother.

I also enjoy the latest Andrew Bird disk, but not as much as The Mysterious Production of Eggs.

Rae
11-28-2007, 12:44 PM
Sorry, I'm pretty much the antithesis of a Rush fan. No offense meant!

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
11-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Sorry, I'm pretty much the antithesis of a Rush fan. No offense meant!

~Rae

No offence taken. I didn't think that it would be your thing, but I wasn't sure so I thought I'd mention it anyway.

nobody
11-28-2007, 01:55 PM
I'll toss out one that has been a real favorite this year. Don't know if you're listened to it or not. But, Tim Armstrong's A Poet's Life has been played a bunch by me. It's the guy from Rancid doing a solo reggae/ska album. I guess since I always thought of Rancid as those kids who really seemed to love the Clash, I guess a reggae album outta the fold is pretty logical. But, its way better than I expected. Nice modern mix of roots and ska styles.

And, if you liked the Dinosaur Jr., which I just finally heard maybe a week ago, you may also like the new Meat Puppets. I'd probably rate the Dinosaur Jr. a bit higher ,actually. But, the Meat Puppets disc brings a similar level of guitar fun to the party.

If you've heard the Amy Winehouse and liked it this year, you could also check out the Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings disc, 100 Days, 100 Nights. Dap Kings did all the music for Amy. Sharon Jones is a more powerful vocalist, but the songs aren't quite as good. Still has the old style soul sound with the horns and all.

Glad I'm not the only one living in a basement. Let me know if you need to hear any of those suggestions.

I've also got a few favorite things like Pole, Steingarden and Stars of the Lid in the electronic vein and I'm sure if you care, you've already heard this year's White Stripes, which I like a lot as well. New Hives is pretty gun for that garage rock thing too, although it's got a lot of filler on there.

Jim Clark
11-28-2007, 03:15 PM
Well, not too awful much that completely bowled me over Rae but the ones I can think of that I'm glad I got:

Davey's recent rec of Carribou's Andorra is awesome

I kind like the new Patrick Wolf album, The Magic Position, too.

Mainstream indie releases that I really like a whole lot include:
The National (one of the few must buys, imo)
Andrew Bird
Editors
Interpol
Liked one of the two Sigur Ros discs a whole lot. Forget which one.
Arcade Fire (duh)
You Say Party, We Say Die!!! really appealed to the punky, quirky part of me. Everyone else's opinion would probably be different but I think it was a better punk album than just about anything else I heard this year.

Biggest dog of the year for me was the Wheat album, oh, and the Siouxsie Sioux got teabagged by hippo balls with her last one. Actually there's probably just as many discs from my 2007 pile that I didn't like compared to the ones I did.

jc

noddin0ff
11-29-2007, 11:28 AM
oh, and the Siouxsie Sioux got teabagged by hippo balls with her last one.
jc

Please stop. There's only so much coffee I can clean off my monitor!

nobody
11-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I really wanted to like that Siouxsie Sioux, but the cover photo was about the best thing about it. Haven't heard that You Say Party, We Say Die!!!, I may need to check it out. I like that one by The National and the Arcade Fire one too.

Slosh
11-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Well, I kinda changed my mind about The Shepherd's Dog; it's even better than I originally thought. Take Our Endless Numbered Days as your base, then add some Woven Hand to flesh out the sound, next toss in a pinch of Califone ambiance to make things just that much more interesting, and finally fold in a dash of Calexico flourishes. This is the recipe for awesome! :D I couldn't imagine anything toppling Armchair Apocrypha from my #1 album of 2007 ranking but this one just may do it, or at least be a very, very close #2. If you're not put off by Sam Beam's vocal style go out and get this now. You can thank me three or four spins later :)

NP:

ForeverAutumn
11-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Hey Slosh, what's that Wilco album that you're listening to? I don't recognize the cover and the print is too small for me to make out.

Thanks.

Slosh
11-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Hey Slosh, what's that Wilco album that you're listening to? I don't recognize the cover and the print is too small for me to make out.

Thanks.
It's the More Like The Moon EP.

Tracklist:

01. Kamera
02. Handshake Drugs
03. Woodgrain
04. A Magazine Called Sunset
05. Bob Dylan's 49th Beard
06. More Like The Moon

jonnyhambone
11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
funny, I really like Iron & Wine stuff but haven't jumped on Shepard Dog...it almost sounds too easy to like whenever I hear a song... Person Pitch is high on my list and I'm a fan of the new Akron/Family. my list isn't really compiled yet...

Slosh
12-01-2007, 05:05 AM
If anyone wants to hear for themself why I think so highly of this latest Iron & Wine album click here (http://www.mediafire.com/?2xnuzzyulwb).

NP:

bobsticks
12-01-2007, 06:52 AM
funny, I really like Iron & Wine stuff but haven't jumped on Shepard Dog...it almost sounds too easy to like whenever I hear a song...

Interesting because I felt the same way about "Armchair Apocrypha" at first. Though clearly lyrically brilliant "Armchair" is almost too hook laden until you really explore the songs. IMO the biggest difference bewteen the albums is pacing and placement, in that Bird's offering at times sounds like a collection of singles whereas "Shepherd Dog" is a more cohesive album in it's entirety. End of the day, both are strong 2007 works.

Davey
12-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Well, I kinda changed my mind about The Shepherd's Dog; it's even better than I originally thought. Take Our Endless Numbered Days as your base, then add some Woven Hand to flesh out the sound, next toss in a pinch of Califone ambiance to make things just that much more interesting, and finally fold in a dash of Calexico flourishes. This is the recipe for awesome!

Nice description. I've heard a couple songs and really like it, but haven't been motivated yet to pull the trigger. Almost headed up to Oakland last night to see the Califone / Iron and Wine show, but tough week at work, and tickets were $30+, and a pretty long drive, and kind of inconvenient location (although beautiful theater), and would've preferred the billing reversed to get an extended Califone set since I like them all lot more, and just getting old .... but still wished I'd gone. Only so many chances you get to see a great show like that probably was.

I picked up the new Burial CD recently and have been liking that a lot. Kind of that dark, hard trip hop like Tricky used to do. But I'd imagine you'd have to be predisposed to liking it, to like it much. Still love all my usual suspects, not too much this year I hadn't heard before. If you don't have it yet, get that vinyl issue of the last Califone record with the hand silkscreened cover. Last year, I know, but still sounds great. And if you don't have any Caribou, I'd pick up the 2-cd reissue of Up In Flames. But the new one is very choice. Really makes me feel good. Love the Magnolia Electric Co box set. Maybe not all 4 discs equally, but when Molina is riding that dark horse, it's pretty special.

Swish
12-01-2007, 12:36 PM
...especially the Andrew Bird and Iron and Wine, and Editors, and I have to include No Shouts No Calls by Electrelane.

Swish

Slosh
12-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I'll have to settle for Lame v0 versions of Andorra and Up In Flames for the time being. Won't get a chance to hit a record store until next weekend . . . . maybe :(

I'll have to sate that vinyl jonse soon though and I could see some Califone recs in my future. In the meantime I guess I'll just have to live with some of my old Calexico LPs to scratch that 16-track itch (not that Calexico and Califone sound much alike) :)

Slosh
12-03-2007, 03:30 AM
Oh, I guess that Caribou rec wasn't meant for me. I didn't get into Up In Flames when it was by the artist formerly known as Manitoba either. Good thing there are places in cyberspace where you can try before you buy :)

Funny though that I do like (most of) Neon Golden and Kid A, so it's not the genre per se that rubs me wrong.

NP:

Davey
12-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Another one that I've been listening to off and on quite a bit lately is the latest from Detroit twangers Blanche, "Little Amber Bottles". Kind of a country goth mix of the Handsome Family and White Stripes. Tight band. Not a perfect record, but sometimes gets close. Led off the Holiday Mixer with the lead track on the CD. Good production, but the CD is mastered too loud, as usual. List price is under $10, so I didn't even have to work any overtime at the Burger Shack. There's a 180 gm gatefold vinyl issue floating around, but might only be EU. Might have to track down a copy if it continues to grow on me. The vinyl often sounds much better since it is perceived to be a niche product and so doesn't have to play a part in the idiotic "loudness competition" like the CD release.

http://wc05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fxfrxqyrldte~T0

Slosh
12-03-2007, 09:37 AM
NP (for the first time):

jonnyhambone
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
recently received the Fire On Fire ep from Young God records. Guess I have an affinity for Michael Gira's sonic palette 'cause, again, this really lights my fire (on fire)...
They're sorta an ol' timey outfit with lots of banjo, ouds, harmonies, and foot-stompin'...like a modern-day Carter Family that grew up with, but made a concerted effort to forget, punk and goth-type stuff...it all seeps out and bubbles up between the dilapidated cracks of the 30-some minutes of hootenany. Plus it's $7 with a hand-silk screened sleeve. I'm diggin' it.

noddin0ff
12-07-2007, 05:18 AM
Another one that I've been listening to off and on quite a bit lately is the latest from Detroit twangers Blanche, "Little Amber Bottles". Kind of a country goth mix of the Handsome Family and White Stripes. Tight band. Not a perfect record, but sometimes gets close. Led off the Holiday Mixer with the lead track on the CD. Good production, but the CD is mastered too loud, as usual. List price is under $10, so I didn't even have to work any overtime at the Burger Shack. There's a 180 gm gatefold vinyl issue floating around, but might only be EU. Might have to track down a copy if it continues to grow on me. The vinyl often sounds much better since it is perceived to be a niche product and so doesn't have to play a part in the idiotic "loudness competition" like the CD release.

http://wc05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fxfrxqyrldte~T0

Thanks, I'm really liking that Blanche track. I was wondering if the album would make my stocking stuffer wish list. It will now.

noddin0ff
12-10-2007, 09:07 PM
I picked up The Shins: Wincing the Night Away. I'm really enjoying it as my favorite 'off my usual beat' pick for the year. I can't find anything not to like about it. Smart-pop and some moody atmosphere in a catchy combination. I don't know how many people remember Jellyfish: Bellybutton but I keep thinking of them sometimes when I listen to this. I like Wincing a lot more. And, credits to Slosh for sharing the prime tracks.

Slosh
12-11-2007, 12:38 AM
I picked up The Shins: Wincing the Night Away.This one is even better (by a wide margin too).

NP:

Davey
12-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Biggest dog of the year for me was the Wheat album

That is a shame. I was kind of hoping, way in the back of my mind, that on their way out, as their little finale, as a gift to all their fans, they might've rediscovered some of the simple charm that made Hope and Adams one of my favorites of the last decade, and coupled that with some of the fun hooks they brought to Per Second... when they moved to the big label. Maybe they just needed Dave Fridmann to help shape the songs? I know the move to big label stardom (and the subsequent fall) took a big toll after Per Second, so probably not surprising that they didn't put it all back together for this one.

So Jim, is the whole album not good, or just a few songs? Sounded so promising in the initial reports, the talk about being rejuvenated, and free to record whatever they want, no label pressure, etc. Does it sound like they were just screwing around?

Davey
12-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned in any of these year end threads, but Richmond Fontaine put out one of the best records I heard with Thirteen Cities. Maybe it's only for fans of those old sad story songs, I don't know, but they continue to produce some of the most musically rich alternative country music of our times. Very literate, beautifully lyrical. Evocative and palpable imagery. Their best album yet. Willy Vlautin is becoming the John Steinbeck of American country music, the dusty drifter winding his way down through Arizona kind of country music, not the slick plastic auto-tuned Nashville kind. I listen to this all the time, and it is probably my record of the year.

Slosh
12-27-2007, 12:32 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned in any of these year end threads, but Richmond Fontaine put out one of the best records I heard with Thirteen Cities.That's because I haven't posted my list yet! :D Agreed, very good album. The Swishster digs it too.

NP:

Swish
12-27-2007, 12:40 PM
Haven't seen it mentioned in any of these year end threads, but Richmond Fontaine put out one of the best records I heard with Thirteen Cities. Maybe it's only for fans of those old sad story songs, I don't know, but they continue to produce some of the most musically rich alternative country music of our times. Very literate, beautifully lyrical. Evocative and palpable imagery. Their best album yet. Willy Vlautin is becoming the John Steinbeck of American country music, the dusty drifter winding his way down through Arizona kind of country music, not the slick plastic auto-tuned Nashville kind. I listen to this all the time, and it is probably my record of the year.

That is probably my # 1 for 07, or in my top 3 for sure. I was hoping it wasn't mentioned so that a bunch of you would say 'oh yeah, how did I forget that one', but alas, my ploy is ruined.

Swish - really digs Thirteen Cities

Davey
12-27-2007, 12:46 PM
There's never been a crowd like this

Ah, you must've seen my message in that other thread. How much money does it take to master a CD? Seems like he could find some way to get it out to his fans. Hell, I'd buy a CD-R from his site in a heartbeat. Just give us a nice sounding release, not some crappy sounding mp3 download. Do it Richard!

Slosh
12-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Ah, you must've seen my message in that other thread. How much money does it take to master a CD? Seems like he could find some way to get it out to his fans. Hell, I'd buy a CD-R from his site in a heartbeat. Just give us a nice sounding release, not some crappy sounding mp3 download. Do it Richard!Check your PM, and don't call me Richard!

Davey
12-27-2007, 03:06 PM
Check your PM, and don't call me Richard!

Thanks, can I just call you Dick for short? That is a very nice record, but I want the new one!

Haven't seen it mentioned in any of these year end threads, but Richmond Fontaine put out one of the best records I heard with Thirteen Cities.
That is probably my # 1 for 07, or in my top 3 for sure. I was hoping it wasn't mentioned so that a bunch of you would say 'oh yeah, how did I forget that one', but alas, my ploy is ruined.
What a silly ploy maker you are. You know, the year is almost over. Couple more days. Time to make a commitment. Show us what ya got. Help Rae spend some of his Christmas bonus.

np: same as my buddy Slosh, just a download behind :)

Slosh
12-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Dick for ShortMy friend has been trying to think of a name for his new (garage) band. Wonder how difficult it will be to sell him on this one? :D

Davey
12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
Dick for ShortMy friend has been trying to think of a name for his new (garage) band. Wonder how difficult it will be to sell him on this one? :D

Ya never know, might fit. Is the band already full size or are they still growing? Looking for new members to play with? How often do they get up on stage?

jim goulding
12-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Laura Viers- Carbon Glacier (Nonesuch), The Putamayo catalog (Thanks, Bob), I like Amy Winehouse, I admit it. A Danish jazz singer Josefine Cronhom. Miles in Tokyo (Sony remaster).

Rae
12-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Liking Amy Winehouse is no guilty pleasure.

I did have a chance to get... uh... evaluation copies of a lot of these over the holidays (Slosh will know what I'm talking about). Really like the Oxbow record... surprised that no one has mentioned that one here. You know what else sounded really good upon first listen? Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass. That guy quietly & consistently makes some great music. I was not so enamored with the Andrew Bird as you guys seem to be, although maybe that's a headphone record (I played it whilst riding in my friend's car). The new Lupe Fiasco is also super underwhelming, although I'ma try to stick with it. Lessee, what else... Les Savy Fav! Looking for the vinyl of that one for sure; another great & insanely catchy release from those merry pranksters. Deerhoof - Friend Opportunity is also a fine addition to their catalog. And that Josh Ritter is really growing on me. Too bad they didn't press it on vinyl.

So many records!

~Rae

Slosh
12-30-2007, 06:28 AM
You know what else sounded really good upon first listen? Aesop Rock - None Shall Pass. Urrg! My daughter's really been into that lately, along with Tech9, Cage, Immortal Technique, MF Doom, and Defiance, Ohio. I used to get sick of hearing all of that 70s punk blaring from her room but now see how good I had it. Hopefully she'll burn herself out on this stuff before I do something rash like taking the subwoofer out of her room :D

Rae
12-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Tech9, Cage, Immortal Technique, MF Doom, and Defiance, Ohio

:11: One of these things is not like the others...

Say what you will; I'm digging it. Listened to that Okkervil River now too. Very poppy. And Enon - Grass Geysers Carbon Clouds... has there been any talk about that one on here? Those dudes & lady are very consistent.

~Rae

Slosh
12-30-2007, 04:42 PM
:11: One of these things is not like the others...I just looked at her most recently added music in iTunes and wasn't implying that it was all the same genre (it mostly is, however).

New Enon is okay. I keep waiting for a new High Society but that's probably not going to happen. Hell, I'd be happy with a new Believo! at this point.

NP:

Rae
12-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I always liked Believo! better than High Society. You'll probably take this as blasphemy, but I get really burned out on Toko's songs on High Society, especially "In This City". I like her stuff on Hocus Pocus a lot more.

~Rae

jim goulding
12-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Correction to spelling above: Josefine Cronholm.