Any JVC people out there for some advice?! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any JVC people out there for some advice?!

FizorZed
11-23-2007, 01:17 PM
Equipment I need help with: JVC RX-6008V AV Receiver

Hey all, I am tooling around with a home theater I am cobbling together. Recently I purchased both a coax digital audio cable and a fiber cable to bump up my setup to output Dolby Digital source from my DVDs. I tried both cables without success.

The thing is that my receiver only seems to detect and output a Linear PCM signal. The receiver I have has a visual display on the front of it that will show each speaker that is being used based on the signal the receiver is decoding. No matter what I try it will only show the L and R channel as activated even though it is clear that all 5 speakers seem to be producing sound. What i'm not sure of if wether or not I'm getting a true dolby digital signal even though the receiver is only showing the output as a stereo signal.

I have tried using 3 different DVD players all with Dolby Digital capabilities and made sure the DVDs i'm playing have that type of sound encoding. I have properly set the digital inputs for each of the two audio cable types and get the same result. For whatever reason I can't get the receiver to detect and play anything but this Linear PCM signal.

I know it's a long shot but does anyone out there have this equipment that might shed some light on this?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Mr Peabody
11-23-2007, 06:38 PM
I don't know JVC. Sometimes you have to assign an input to the corresponding input selected. For instance, your receiver may say "DVD" but you have to go into the menu and tell your receiver what input on the back you want "DVD" to recognize. Your coaxial input on the back may say "digital 1" or "digital 2" etc. Or, you may have to just go into the menu and set the receiver to "auto" and it will detect what signal comes in. Also, some DVD players have to be set by the menu to output digital or bitstream.

ldgibson76
11-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Equipment I need help with: JVC RX-6008V AV Receiver

Hey all, I am tooling around with a home theater I am cobbling together. Recently I purchased both a coax digital audio cable and a fiber cable to bump up my setup to output Dolby Digital source from my DVDs. I tried both cables without success.

The thing is that my receiver only seems to detect and output a Linear PCM signal. The receiver I have has a visual display on the front of it that will show each speaker that is being used based on the signal the receiver is decoding. No matter what I try it will only show the L and R channel as activated even though it is clear that all 5 speakers seem to be producing sound. What i'm not sure of if wether or not I'm getting a true dolby digital signal even though the receiver is only showing the output as a stereo signal.

I have tried using 3 different DVD players all with Dolby Digital capabilities and made sure the DVDs i'm playing have that type of sound encoding. I have properly set the digital inputs for each of the two audio cable types and get the same result. For whatever reason I can't get the receiver to detect and play anything but this Linear PCM signal.

I know it's a long shot but does anyone out there have this equipment that might shed some light on this?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

Hello "FizorZed".

Most likely, your JVC AV Receiver is will detect the 5.1 signal if it is being sent the signal.
Please go into the top menu of your dvd player and make sure the dvd player audio output is set to 5.1. Normally, most dvd players are defaulted to 2.0 audio by the manufacturer.
Now if that doesn't work, go into the menu settings of the receiver. Input settings (i/o settings) and make sure the dvd input is set to the applicable cable that you are using for audio playback, either optical(toslink) or coaxial (coax). Once you've made the adjustments, you should be good to go.
Regards.