Had to give cable the boot [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Had to give cable the boot

Mr Peabody
11-23-2007, 12:28 PM
Ever since cable (Charter) got me to sign up with a package I couldn't refuse a few years ago, after that initial special expired, I had to call every 6 month or so to renegotiate a deal. That in itself would lose most people but I hung in there even though this always took a few calls before they got it right. This last pricing I was on was up 11/28 and my new bill came in at a ridiculous price to let me know it. So Tuesday I proceeded to call for the negotiation ritual. I talked to a girl that spoke very little English, from the conversation I got I was going to pay the same money but receive some additional programming. One call? More for the same? This was too easy. Sure enough I called back later in the week to verify the new price so I can pay the bill, she gave me more programming but the price was also much more. I preceeded to tell the guy what happened and my goal was not to pay anymore than what I was paying initially. "Well, I can't down grade you, you are on a special", he says. I don't think so, this is not what the girl told me. He transfers me to some one who I guess has more authority or a different department. I thought she understood and took care of it, later that night I'm missing some channels. I call back, this guy seemed to understand restored my original programming but for some reason the price was still higher and he couldn't explain why. So I'm ready to cancel, he can't do it, I have to call the "cancellation dept.". What did I really expect calling the cable company at 1:20 am on the night before a holiday. I call the cable company today thinking I'm planning to cancel surely they will see things my way and we will all be happy. Well, not really, she told me there was a price increase and that's why my bill was higher for the same programming. I wasn't aware of any price increase. So I am tired of negotiating every few months anyway, so I just want to get on a regular price structure. "Well, your programming would be $112.00." Ah, no it won't. "Well, I can't down grade you." Even though this was mishandled from the start? Silence... Alright, here's the resolution, I'm paid until the 24th, so when the 24th rolls around you shut the cable off and we break even. After I had to explain to her that my bill was paid and the current bill was for future programming that I just cancelled, she finally agreed. Some how I still think I haven't heard the last of this company. I can't imagine a company being more out of control of itself and incompetent. Well, maybe Earthlink, or Dell. What and the world has happened to customer service and the way a company conducts business? I didn't know what I was going to do when I cancelled but at the time I didn't care if I had to go back to using an antenna. At some point the product is not worth what you have to do to get it. If more people would realize this maybe consumers could gain some respect again.

I have an appointment next Saturday to have Dishnetwork installed. They say they have over 70 channels of real HD programming.

Some one told me that DirecTV's claim to have 70 was false and they were told to quit playing the commercials but I haven't been able to confirm it yet. They stretched the truth because the channels were HD ready or something of that nature.

What's a forum for if you can't vent once in a while? :)

codecougar
11-23-2007, 12:57 PM
I am pretty certain that Direct TV currently has 75 HD channels. That is what they have listed on their site and pretty consistent with what I get for channels (I have Direct TV). I haven't counted them all and keep in mind many are parts of certan packages such as sports packs, movie channels, etc, but I do not think Direct TV is misrepresenting anything. Furthermore they are promising up to 100 HD channels by the end of the year.

From the Direct TV site:

"HD UPDATE: DIRECTV now broadcasts over 75 national HD channels, with lots more to come."

Before you go with Dish Network, I would look into this a bit further. I have 2 friends with Dish who hate it, but are locked into a contract. Direct TV has been amazing to me. Great service, programming, and equipment.

Where I live in MA you CANNOT GET LOCAL CHANNELS, period. Not in HD or even in standard definition. Look into this. I can get locals with Direct TV for free.

If you go to the Dish Network page, they talk about getting local channels, but when I plug in my address, I get the following:

"LOCAL NETWORK PACKAGE

Unfortunately, this address is not eligible for any of the Local Network Packages.

This address is not eligible to receive Local Networks for one of the following reasons:

Does not technically qualify - This address does not fall in a DISH Network Local Broadcast Network coverage area. (The satellite signal does not reach your address with your local channels.)
Does not Legally qualify - This address is not in a local Designated Market Area (DMA). (Local Broadcast Networks by satellite are only available to customers who reside in the specified local DMA.)
The address was entered incorrectly."

Probably worth looking into before you sign an 18 month contract and have them start installing all the hardware.

Mr Peabody
11-23-2007, 06:25 PM
What are your friends complaints with Dish? I will check into it. I wonder if DirecTV is any cheaper.

codecougar
11-23-2007, 10:40 PM
What are your friends complaints with Dish? I will check into it. I wonder if DirecTV is any cheaper.

well, #1 is not being able to get any local channels. kind of a drag especially when it comes to sports and news. then there were some customer service issues. possibly just isolated experiences, but not sure.

I would just compare Direct TV and Dish before making a decision. Call Direct TV and tell them you have a scheduled appointment with Dish, but a friend told you to make a call to compare. see what they can do for you. they have hooked me up in the past.

tom64
12-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I had direct tv in Fl. every time a storm came up i would knock sat. off even if 50 miles away so be aware

yy17616433
01-04-2008, 10:54 PM
That is sure!!!
〖^o^〗^o^ 〖^o^〗
Slam Dunk (http://manga.yuedu365.com/bookinfo/13318)
YuYu Hakusho (http://manga.yuedu365.com/bookinfo/12718)
claymore (http://manga.yuedu365.com/bookinfo/13185)

N. Abstentia
01-05-2008, 09:44 PM
I had direct tv in Fl. every time a storm came up i would knock sat. off even if 50 miles away so be aware

Your installer did a poor job then, call DirecTV and they will come fix it...if THEY installed it. I can watch my DirecTV through a monsoon with no problems.