The Romantics sue the makers of Guitar Hero [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Romantics sue the makers of Guitar Hero

ForeverAutumn
11-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't understand this. The Guitar Hero makers properly purchased the rights to use What I Like About You, but are being sued for making the song sound too much like the original. Come again? :confused5:

Rock band The Romantics suing 'Guitar Hero' maker Activision
By The Associated Press

DETROIT - The Romantics have filed a federal lawsuit against Activision Inc., the maker of "Guitar Hero," saying the popular video game infringes on the band's rights by featuring a sound-alike recording of its 1980 hit "What I Like About You."

The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in the group's hometown of Detroit, seeks unspecified damages.

The song is one of about 30 songs featured on "Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the '80s." The band also is seeking an injunction that could take the best-selling game off store shelves.

A copyright claim is not the issue for the Romantics. The band's attorneys tell the Detroit Free Press for Thursday's edition that Activision properly secured permission to use "What I Like About You," allowing it to record a cover version.

But they say by creating an imitation so much like the Romantics' original, the California-based company infringed on the group's rights to its own likeness.

Activision representatives did not return calls for comment from the Detroit Free Press.

Dave_G
11-23-2007, 07:58 AM
I think this is totally ridiculous. I hope the software company sues back, wins, and puts those losers in the gutter.

Dave

Finch Platte
11-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Sounds like someone has too much time on their hands.