Strange trip to wallmart [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Strange trip to wallmart

pixelthis
11-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Went to buy my copy of the new diehard movie and thought I'd check out the hddvd sale
I saw three if you count the one playing shrek 37 or whatever.
The old trick of playing digital video because it looks so cool.
WHATS REALLY WEIRD is that the whole place has been redone, looks like a target,
and the kid that walked up when I was checking out the players actually knew something.
TOLD ME that he preferred blu ray because of the extra 20 gigs of storage, ans some of the other salient facts, then remembered he was trying to sell something and sald that these were good players too.
Think it'll make a good dvd player?
I was fascinated by the RCA 1080p dvd player they had, the case was two pieces of plastic that slid together. Plugs in back were the audio, digital coax, and composite
video, and in the middle, HDMI.
Thats it, no SVHS, no componet, according to the box it plays every kind of disc and format known to man except the high rez audio formats.
Price? 44$
Jeeze I have cables that cost more.
So joe sixpack looks at this, doesnt know that "upconverting" is basically a marketing scam, and which one do you think he'll pick?
It wasnt clear that the toshiba was a highrez player, just said 1080i on the box.
A marketers nightmare, really
I also scored four classic sci-fi movies on one disc for a dollar.
COOL:1:

PeruvianSkies
11-22-2007, 01:58 AM
Went to buy my copy of the new diehard movie and thought I'd check out the hddvd sale
I saw three if you count the one playing shrek 37 or whatever.
The old trick of playing digital video because it looks so cool.
WHATS REALLY WEIRD is that the whole place has been redone, looks like a target,
and the kid that walked up when I was checking out the players actually knew something.
TOLD ME that he preferred blu ray because of the extra 20 gigs of storage, ans some of the other salient facts, then remembered he was trying to sell something and sald that these were good players too.
Think it'll make a good dvd player?
I was fascinated by the RCA 1080p dvd player they had, the case was two pieces of plastic that slid together. Plugs in back were the audio, digital coax, and composite
video, and in the middle, HDMI.
Thats it, no SVHS, no componet, according to the box it plays every kind of disc and format known to man except the high rez audio formats.
Price? 44$
Jeeze I have cables that cost more.
So joe sixpack looks at this, doesnt know that "upconverting" is basically a marketing scam, and which one do you think he'll pick?
It wasnt clear that the toshiba was a highrez player, just said 1080i on the box.
A marketers nightmare, really
I also scored four classic sci-fi movies on one disc for a dollar.
COOL:1:

You would think that you could spell your own employers name correctly...it's Wal-mart. Look at your paycheck next time before tying to spell it on your own.

pixelthis
11-23-2007, 12:36 AM
You would think that you could spell your own employers name correctly...it's Wal-mart. Look at your paycheck next time before tying to spell it on your own.

Just when I think I cant expect less, here you go, living down to your reputation as mean, petty, and spitefull.
I was a police and security officer when you were still a wet spot on your mamas
side of the bed, punk.
Get back to me when you grow up:1:

pixelthis
11-23-2007, 12:37 AM
BTW I talked to the clerk/salesman and he said they were hiring.
Finally, a job you're qualifed for.
MAYBE:1:

PDN
11-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Just an opinion Pixelthis but I would stay clear of any RCA video/audio product. I've had a few bad experiences with their products. I would rate them at the bottom of A-V components. A friend of mine had a large screen rear projection RCA TV that lasted only a few years before it needed repair after repair. Just my opinion. Toshiba is a better made product overall. Not sure who all is manufacturing Blu-ray and HD-DVD players but brands such as Sony, Toshiba, and Sharp are more reputable. Try Circuit City or Best Buy.

pixelthis
11-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Just an opinion Pixelthis but I would stay clear of any RCA video/audio product. I've had a few bad experiences with their products. I would rate them at the bottom of A-V components. A friend of mine had a large screen rear projection RCA TV that lasted only a few years before it needed repair after repair. Just my opinion. Toshiba is a better made product overall. Not sure who all is manufacturing Blu-ray and HD-DVD players but brands such as Sony, Toshiba, and Sharp are more reputable. Try Circuit City or Best Buy.

That might not be as true in the past as in the present. This was obviously an outsourced
product, so it depends on who the OEM is.
RCA as a company doesnt really exist anymore (thank god). Their name is "rented out"
to various third world products.
The most signifignant thing about this player was NO componet output, much like the latest oppo.
It appears that the industry is going to completey do away with this output eventually.
If you want to see just how dastardly a company RCA really was during its heyday, read
the book, KINGS OF THE AIR. This is a must read, explains how RCA tried to kill
FM radio, mostly by lobbying congress to pass legislation, because they feared the competition. Also did the same thing to TV, because it would intergfere with AM radio!
It also has great info about the inventor of the vaccume tube, and how the modern electronics age was built, and the titans who built it:1: