Denon DVD a keeper? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon DVD a keeper?

2chAlex
11-21-2007, 04:38 PM
While exiting the mall thru CC I noticed a clearance on a Denon DVD 757, (1930 twin?).
Knowing Denon and their use of Burr-Brown and high quality video DAC's, I picked it up for less than half of retail. My thinking was to research it once home. It still sits unopen cuz not much info found (aside from specs). This wasn't on my list of DVD players to buy. So any user feedback or info would be great. Also I've heard that Faroudja is a great processor but maybe with some issues.

topspeed
11-21-2007, 05:32 PM
That's a very good universal player. Faroudja chipset on the video side, BB 1738 on the audio. The 1738 is an excellent DAC as it decodes DSD (SACD) discretely whereas many lesser DAC's will do a PCM conversion, thereby degrading the sound. The Faroudja has a bit of an issue with macro blocking on some micro displays, but some fine tuning in the set-up alleviates most of the problem and again, it's only on some micro displays.

Retail is $369, so if you picked this up for less than a buck-eighty, you certainly shouldn't be disappointed by the performance you paid for.

2chAlex
11-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks Topspeed
Felt pretty sure I found a bagain, sometimes one just needs abit of reasurance

hydroman
11-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Let us know if there is 'noise gate' function on audio CDs that truncates the first notes of each track... I am experiencing that now with my Denon DVD...