Are These Speakers Decent [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Are These Speakers Decent

briannye
11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
i just got a pair of DCM KX-212's and a Jensen JPC25.
i paid 100 for the DCM's and i got the Jensen for free.
i have noticed that the only reviews for a similar speaker is the KX-12.
someone tell me if what i have is anywhere near decent.

emaidel
11-21-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm not familiar with DCM model numbers, but have always liked whatever DCM speakers I've heard. Jensen, on the other hand, was never much of a quality speaker manufacturer. Perhaps the fact you got yours for free explains a thing or two!

markw
11-21-2007, 12:33 PM
It depends on what you expect from them. Do they sound bad to you?

This guy knows what they are good for.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/ele/461648070.html

PeruvianSkies
11-21-2007, 01:25 PM
on the differences between speakers and party speakers.

GMichael
11-21-2007, 02:31 PM
I bet they'll play plenty loud.
If that's all you want, then they are perfect. If you're looking for something to sit and listen carefully to classical music with, then maybe not so perfect.

briannye
11-21-2007, 08:04 PM
i love them... the only problem is that my7 left channel has like a woodbanging sound and i dont know how to fix it... i tried running a screw... and it ****ed it up more i think... and ummm... my left channel shuts off constantly do these speakers have like a limiter on them?

briannye
11-23-2007, 06:32 AM
but i need to know if somthing is wrong with my left speaker... if i turn up a song that has just rediculus crazyness to it (my chemical romance - the black parade for example) the left speaker will cut out for anywhere between 15seconds to 1 minute. could some one explain why this is.... if i really push them they both will shut off

filecat13
11-24-2007, 12:12 AM
Are you sure it's not the amp or receiver that's shutting down to protect itself?

briannye
11-24-2007, 08:55 AM
i never had it happened before when i roasted my little sony cube speakers. i could turn it up as loud as i wanted without it doin that

markw
11-25-2007, 06:15 PM
i never had it happened before when i roasted my little sony cube speakers. i could turn it up as loud as i wanted without it doin thatIIRC, these are four ohms, and this can put undue strain on many amps. If that's so, then you could very well be invoking the amp's protective circuits by cranking it too much. That "woodbanging" sound could be the amps running out of power. This can sound like a loud "KA-RAK!"

Plus, these are very efficient. Just how loud are you listening?

What do you mean you "tried running a screw"?

hydroman
11-28-2007, 12:12 PM
DCMs sounded terrible when i played 'Fantasia' through the system. i was horrified.

I always thought they sounded good when i rocked the Scorpions, though...

The el cheapo reciever has to go.