Levitating space-age TT? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Levitating space-age TT?

nightflier
11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
Have any of the TT manufacturers ever considered using magnets to isolate and spin the platter? Now I know magnets have been used to isolate plinths, but it would seem to be more interesting to levitate the platter this way. After all, using computerized monitoring, one could ensure infinitely more accurate speed, mechanical hum and wobble control. Now, I'm not saying it would be inexpensive, but for those tables in the stratosphere price range, this would certainly be an interesting experiment.

Heck, while they're at it, why not levitate the arm separately as well, have it travel linearly, and transmit the audio signal a very short distance wirelessly using a high-bandwidth, high-quality link. This would essentially make the whole table impervious to mechanical vibration of any sort. Of course the resulting sound would be far removed from the cutting process that the original LP was made with.

Anyhow, just wondering if there are any pioneering companies out there trying out some of these ideas.

Come to think of it, this application could also, and perhaps more readily, be used in a CD player...

JohnMichael
11-21-2007, 01:14 PM
Here is your dream turntable.

http://www.musicdirect.com/product/73398

nightflier
11-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Wow that is beeeauuuutiful. And with two tone-arm mounts. And built by none other than de Paravicini. And that for $17K! Wow. If only I had that kind of coin.

Any space-age innovations in tonearm technology out there?

Feanor
11-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Have any of the TT manufacturers ever considered using magnets to isolate and spin the platter? Now I know magnets have been used to isolate plinths, but it would seem to be more interesting to levitate the platter this way. After all, using computerized monitoring, one could ensure infinitely more accurate speed, mechanical hum and wobble control. Now, I'm not saying it would be inexpensive, but for those tables in the stratosphere price range, this would certainly be an interesting experiment.

Heck, while they're at it, why not levitate the arm separately as well, have it travel linearly, and transmit the audio signal a very short distance wirelessly using a high-bandwidth, high-quality link. This would essentially make the whole table impervious to mechanical vibration of any sort. Of course the resulting sound would be far removed from the cutting process that the original LP was made with.

Anyhow, just wondering if there are any pioneering companies out there trying out some of these ideas.

Come to think of it, this application could also, and perhaps more readily, be used in a CD player...

Perhaps what you really want is one of these ...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/viewpoint/0404/aachapter55.htm

trollgirl
11-22-2007, 08:14 AM
Didn't Pickering or Stanton make a TT with a magnetic-suspension platter back in the 1970's?

Laz

Bernd
11-27-2007, 12:49 AM
....Mcintosh has magnetic bearing from Clearaudio, same as in my new toy. Take a look here:

http://uk.cinenow.com/videos/1057-mcintosh-world-premieres-turntable-up-close-cedia-expo-2007

What do you think? I think it's damn ugly in a sort of cobbled together way.

Peace

:18:

bobsticks
11-27-2007, 03:06 AM
What do you think? I think it's damn ugly in a sort of cobbled together way.

Good morning Brother B.

Yeah, even I have to admit that the Mac TT is not pretty...in any way, shape, or form. "Cobbled-together" is about the most diplomatic way to put it. Nice link though.

Bernd
11-27-2007, 06:04 AM
Good morning Brother B.

Yeah, even I have to admit that the Mac TT is not pretty...in any way, shape, or form. "Cobbled-together" is about the most diplomatic way to put it. Nice link though.

Good day to you too.
I am amazed they got the ok to make such a thing. To my eyes it just looks wrong. I happen to like the look of Mcintosh amps, but this..........:nonod:

Peace

:16:

basite
11-27-2007, 07:51 AM
Good day to you too.
I am amazed they got the ok to make such a thing. To my eyes it just looks wrong. I happen to like the look of Mcintosh amps, but this..........:nonod:

Peace

:16:

yeah, I hear ya :)

technically speaking I do think it'll be a very good product though...

but no way that 'thing' will ever be in my system. :nonod:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
If it could outperform it's ugliness it would be one hell of a ttable.

hifitommy
12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
lets not forget about air-bearing platters and arms. walker and basis both make these items and the platter doesnt touch the earth during play.

i have a mapleknoll athena and when i had it running (i need to get air management equipment) it was THE most vivid table i ever had in the system. i can limp by with the sapphire bearing in my sota until then.