Week 4: 25 Saddest Songs [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Week 4: 25 Saddest Songs

Swish
11-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Yeah, it's getting a bit last here on the East Coast, but I didn't forget my promise to post this weekly, and it is Tuesday after all. I'm not sure this week's selection qualifies as a sad song, and I think there are others from this guy that would have served this list much better, and I'm sure a few of you will be naming them.

Space Oddity - David Bowie (1969)

The Breakdown: In the same year as our lunar landing, rock's space alien creates Major Tom, whose remains will travel the galaxy alone forever.

The Waterworks: "Tell my wife I love her very much."

Casualty Count: One astronaut.

Well, like I said, I don't think of this as a sad song, and being placed on this list won't change my mind.

Swish

Luvin Da Blues
11-20-2007, 06:34 PM
Sad or not it's still a great song when you happen to be in that sorta mood.

Swish
11-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Sad or not it's still a great song when you happen to be in that sorta mood.

I think The Man Who Sold the World is a sadder Bowie song, and maybe even Rock and Roll Suicide.

Swish

PeruvianSkies
11-20-2007, 07:07 PM
I always think of the song LIFE ON MARS? to be sad in some way, not sure why, but it's got that darker tone that is quite dramatics, also the song TIME and perhaps the song LADY STARDUST.

bobsticks
11-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I thought the Peter Schilling dance remix was sadder.

ForeverAutumn
11-20-2007, 07:49 PM
I always think of the song LIFE ON MARS? to be sad in some way, not sure why, but it's got that darker tone that is quite dramatics.

I feel that way about Life on Mars? too. Bowie has a way of inducing a feeling of loneliness in his music. I've always thought of Space Oddity as one of those "lonely" songs. Poor Major Tom out in space all by himself, with no way home, knowing that he's a lost cause. I guess it's sad if I think about it, but 'sad' isn't the first word that would come to mind for me. I think I'm sadder for Major Tom's wife. Someone should write a song about her.

noddin0ff
11-21-2007, 05:25 PM
I feel that way about Life on Mars? too. Bowie has a way of inducing a feeling of loneliness in his music. I've always thought of Space Oddity as one of those "lonely" songs. Poor Major Tom out in space all by himself, with no way home, knowing that he's a lost cause. I guess it's sad if I think about it, but 'sad' isn't the first word that would come to mind for me. I think I'm sadder for Major Tom's wife. Someone should write a song about her.

I 2nd that. good call PS.

unleasHell
11-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Night Boat to Cairo by Madness

My gosh have you ever listened to the lyrics?

it is about a native (in a boat) whose oar breaks and he floats off down the Nile River

Or how about HERE TODAY by the Chameleons, it is about a guy who dies in a car crash and at the end of the song he is saying; "where is my wife"...simply haunting, especially the acoustic version of the song...

Feanor
11-22-2007, 10:46 AM
I will mention one song that I always find sad. It isn't really from any popular genre -- hope that's OK with everybody.

The song is traditional Irish I believe, although I've seen an attribution to the English song composer, Roger Quilter, who might only have produced an arrangement. {see EDIT below}
Down by the Salley Gardens
A well-know version is by the English contralto, Kathleen Ferrier ...
http://wm04.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4781BDE4BAD7320D3AD3B7BCBB57AFE0CC763 E38F162F451BDFB42D448C176FE353EC95CCB0E577B666ADFF 2EA3160ED9C9EC5CF8DD765D40&sql=43:134515

EDIT: It seems words are commonly attributed to William Butler Yeats, though there again, he based these on traditional texts. The Irish medody is "Maids of Mourne Shore".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_By_The_Salley_Gardens

Down by the salley gardens my love and I did meet;
She passed the salley gardens with little snow-white feet.
She bid me take love easy, as the leaves grow on the tree;
But I, being young and foolish, with her would not agree.

In a field by the river my love and I did stand,
And on my leaning shoulder she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs;
But I was young and foolish, and now am full of tears.

Feanor
11-22-2007, 11:32 AM
I will mention one song that I always find sad. It isn't really from any popular genre -- hope that's OK with everybody.

... So I'll mention another song -- hymn, actually -- that I find deeply moving and sad.

Lord of All Hopefulness
It was writen by the English writer, Jan Struther, (actual name Joyce Anstruther). It is song to the beautiful traditional Irish melody, know as "SLANE".

The word refer to the break, noon, eve, and end of the day. However at least for me, the four versus of this hymn provide a synopsis of just of a day, but of a person's life. (I should mention that I'm not a religious person -- if I were I might find the sentiment more or less moving, I don't know which.)

Lord of all hopefulness, Lord of all joy,
whose trust, ever childlike, no cares could destroy,
be there at our waking, and give us, we pray,
your bliss in our hearts, Lord, at the break of the day.

Lord of all eagerness, Lord of all faith,
whose strong hands were skilled at the plane and the lathe,
be there at our labours, and give us, we pray.
your strength in our hearts, Lord, at the noon of the day.

Lord of all kindliness, Lord of all grace,
your hands swift to welcome, your arms to embrace,
be there at our homing, and give us, we pray,
your love in our hearts, Lord, at the eve of the day.

Lord of all gentleness, Lord of all calm,
whose voice is contentment, whose presence is balm,
be there at our sleeping, and give us, we pray.
your peace in our hearts, Lord, at the end of the day.