Time for Tunesday Turkey Tunes! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time for Tunesday Turkey Tunes!

Davey
11-20-2007, 10:07 AM
What's been getting the most spins on your listening station the past week? I dug out a copy of a comp I made a couple years ago called Light So Dim after mentioning (and offering) it in one of Swish Daddy's sad sack song threads, because I got a couple requests for it and wanted to make some minor tweeks to the original. Some good stuff on there. It's on the way today.

And since it is turkey time, I also wanted to get the drop on my year end comp, christened Turkey Time in 2001, and changing to Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer for most of the intervening years, although I've heard others refer to it in less endearing terms. Put up or shut up, that's my comp trading motto :)

Disposed of a couple copies with the Light So Dim packets, but anyone else is welcome. Starts off kind of fun and frolicky, but as usual, soon heads to a darker place. All songs are as ripped, no edits or level adjusts, so flow is slightly altered from what might've been if all were mastered at similar levels. My CD copies are all from this year, except a couple of the albums were first released last year, but either not in my country, or in a different version. Sorry, all I've got to offer is hard copies, haven't investigated upping it anyplace. But it does come with that cute cover. And no obligations. Also no guarantees. Use at your own risk. Don't operate heavy machinery. If an erection lasts more than 6 hours, blah blah blah ...

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/holidaymixer07.jpg

Jim Clark
11-20-2007, 10:16 AM
is this an old school comp or available as a d/l?

You know I want one either way but not bad enough to call you Uncle Davey.

thanks,
jc

Davey
11-20-2007, 11:00 AM
Sorry, all I've got to offer is hard copies, haven't investigated upping it anyplace.
is this an old school comp or available as a d/l?

You know I want one either way but not bad enough to call you Uncle Davey.

Ya know Jimbo, didn't you used to be smarter than the average bear? Or am I thinking of someone else? If you'll be my bodyguard, I can be your long lost pal, I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me, you can call me Al ...

NP: Caribou - you'll like this one Jim, if you haven't heard yet.

Ex Lion Tamer
11-20-2007, 11:15 AM
What's been getting the most spins on your listening station the past week? I dug out a copy of a comp I made a couple years ago called Light So Dim after mentioning (and offering) it in one of Swish Daddy's sad sack song threads, because I got a couple requests for it and wanted to make some minor tweeks to the original. Some good stuff on there. It's on the way today.

And since it is turkey time, I also wanted to get the drop on my year end comp, christened Turkey Time in 2001, and changing to Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer for most of the intervening years, although I've heard others refer to it in less endearing terms. Put up or shut up, that's my comp trading motto :)

Disposed of a couple copies with the Light So Dim packets, but anyone else is welcome. Starts off kind of fun and frolicky, but as usual, soon heads to a darker place. All songs are as ripped, no edits or level adjusts, so flow is slightly altered from what might've been if all were mastered at similar levels. My CD copies are all from this year, except a couple of the albums were first released last year, but either not in my country, or in a different version. Sorry, all I've got to offer is hard copies, haven't investigated upping it anyplace. But it does come with that cute cover. And no obligations. Also no guarantees. Use at your own risk. Don't operate heavy machinery. If an erection lasts more than 6 hours, blah blah blah ...

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/holidaymixer07.jpg

6-hour erections, eh? I thought 4 was the cut-off point, maybe you're talking Canadian hours? (Though you can't really make those Canadian dollar jokes anymore, can we?)

I'll take one Uncle Davey....PM coming with my new coordinates.

Thanks

Davey
11-20-2007, 11:23 AM
6-hour erections, eh? I thought 4 was the cut-off point ...

Ouch, even though sometimes it's a pain in the ass, I like having a detachable penis.

:)

3-LockBox
11-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I like having a detachable penis.

:)

Is it your own, or did you steal it?

3-LockBox
11-20-2007, 11:45 AM
6-hour erections, eh?
I'll take one Uncle Davey....PM coming with my new coordinates.

Thanks

I'm confused...you'll take one what?

Davey
11-20-2007, 11:56 AM
Is it your own, or did you steal it?

No no no, it's my own. But I was at a party once, and got kind of drunk, and you know how that goes, guess I misplaced it. And in the morning, I was starting to get desperate. I really don't like being without my penis for too long. It makes me feel like less of a man, and I really hate having to sit down every time I take a leak. After a few hours of searching the house, and calling everyone I could think of, I was starting to get very depressed, so I went to the Kiev, and ate breakfast. Then, as I walked down Second Avenue towards St. Mark's Place, where all those people sell used books and other junk on the street, I saw my penis lying on a blanket next to a broken toaster oven. Some guy was selling it. I had to buy it off him. He wanted twenty-two bucks, but I talked him down to seventeen. I took it home, washed it off, and put it back on. I was happy again. Complete. People sometimes tell me I should get it permanently attached, but I don't know.

3-LockBox
11-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Some guy was selling it. I had to buy it off him. He wanted twenty-two bucks, but I talked him down to seventeen. I took it home, washed it off, and put it back on. I was happy again. Complete. People sometimes tell me I should get it permanently attached, but I don't know.

Not a bad price really, unless its one of those Korean models, then its about right - for a used one anyway. You are sure its yours, right? Well, if you washed it thoroughly, it should be okay. Yeah, you should get it permanently attached, cuz its just gonna keep getting ripped off. And having it detachable makes it hard to "go commando" doesn't it? Anyway, maybe you could disguise it as a cigarette or something so won't anybody think its a penis and take it, unless of course they're smokers...ah well...good luck, and enjoy your new/old penis while you can.

Davey
11-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Anyway, maybe you could disguise it as a cigarette or something

Yeah, don't I wish I could be more like you, but alas, at the least I'd have to pretend it's one of those bulging fatass Cuban knockoffs that got rolled on virgin thighs with a bit too much of the precious leaf inside. Or maybe just go incognito with the always popular salami disguise...

3-LockBox
11-20-2007, 12:22 PM
at the least I'd have to pretend it's one of those bulging fatass Cuban knockoffs that got rolled on virgin thighs with a bit too much of the precious leaf inside. Or maybe just go incognito with the always popular salami disguise...

I actually looked into a detachable penis at one time. I got an e-mail once and followed up on it and its amazing how versatile they could be, what with the different shapes and colors and functions...I ran it past my wife and she said, that she had no problem with what God gave me in that department, but she then asked if the same company sold detachable faces, whatever that means...

ForeverAutumn
11-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Hey you guys! What the hell am I supposed to tell my boss when he comes in here and asks what I'm laughing at?!

This has to be the funniest thread that I've ever read here! Now pardon my interuption and carry on...

Jim Clark
11-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Ya know Jimbo, didn't you used to be smarter than the average bear? Or am I thinking of someone else?

NP: Caribou - you'll like this one Jim, if you haven't heard yet.

Dear Al,

Definitely someone else.

Caribou's Andora. Of course I bought it after it was so highly rec'd. You're right, it's awesome.

Never did get the Dot Allison though, or the Electrelane, or the Augie March ( is that a new dance?) or the ...

But get this, the 13 year old came home from Best Buy with...SPOON. I guess I found the kid to dump the old Spoon cds on.

jc

Ex Lion Tamer
11-20-2007, 01:55 PM
and I really hate having to sit down every time I take a leak.

See, myself I come from the Larry David school of leak-taking; I like to sit down - no messy clean-up, and if it's a particularly lengthy one, I can read the sports page.

Rae
11-21-2007, 07:38 PM
I don't go to recitals anymore because my hearing is too sensitive, and I don't go to art galleries anymore because there are people there and I can't deal with people, and I don't really take people up on their comp offerings that much anymore, but I would take a copy of this one.

Do I need to PM you my address?

~Rae

bobsticks
11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Davey I'm all about it if you don't mind rollin' one over here to Naptown. I might even call you Uncle Davey, but I will not touch your trick knee...

Davey
11-21-2007, 08:28 PM
I don't go to recitals anymore because my hearing is too sensitive, and I don't go to art galleries anymore because there are people there and I can't deal with people, and I don't really take people up on their comp offerings that much anymore, but I would take a copy of this one.

Do I need to PM you my address?

You are a sensitive guy. For some reason I thought they were Canadian, but guess it's NYC. Must've been subconsciously thinking of The Pursuit Of Happiness. Oh well, got you covered on the address. And thanks a lot for the new stuff. You've got some weird-ass bands working that Minneapolis scene, that's all I've got to say so far :rolleyes5:

Rae
11-21-2007, 09:39 PM
That's all you've gotta say.

Just got my hands on a live DVD of Signal to Trust, Vampire Hands, and the STNNNG... haven't even screened it yet so I don't know what the quality's like. How do you duplicate DVDs? Do I need a special drive for that? If it does them justice perhaps I will send you one.

~Rae

Slosh
11-22-2007, 04:27 AM
Nice comp. I ought to know too being that I have nearly everything on there.

Has anyone heard from Snowflake lately?

Okay, I think I better detach myself from this thread before it gets out of hand :)

NP: [MediaMonkey playing all my 2007 stuff randomly]

jonnyhambone
11-23-2007, 10:14 AM
I'd love one of those comps.
...I find detachables over-rated. Always coming off at the most inopportune moments...
Thanks for the tunes (PM of locale is on the way).

Davey
11-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Shipped today to all you lucky bastards! Season's Greetings! Oh, by the way, I did lie just a tiny bit up above when I said no editing or volume changes, after listening I had to make a couple few adjustments. Not too much. And they do come with a few bonus tracks, maybe a couple different versions I think. Forgot how much work it is doing this! It's crazy! Slosh is right!

Anyway, hope you all enjoy. Captures some really fun moments from the last year, some coolness, some sunshine, some moonlight, some glory to be alive, some darkness on the edge of town, some madness and cacophony, some starry starry night, and even some good old rock and roll, but mostly just my own little way of celebrating how much music means to me, even as an aging geezer :)

bobsticks
11-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Evidently today was music day at the post and as such, I found the box full of good tunes including Uncle Davey's Holiday Mixer 2007. For that I am grateful. Right off the bat I noticed that while I own some of this material already I liked the pace and order in which these were placed.

For stuff that was new to me and will require further investigation, Caribou was a nice surprise. And, while I would generally consider myself a "darkness on the edge of town" kinda guy, I got a little "starry nights" with Joe Henry which I prefer over Josh Ritter to a considerable degree. What's the poop on this guy Davey? I'm thinkin' if much of his stuff is in the vein of "You Can't Fail Me Now" I need to explore his catalogue.

Overall great stuff and would make for an interesting mixer soundtrack. Gracias.

Davey
12-01-2007, 08:54 AM
And, while I would generally consider myself a "darkness on the edge of town" kinda guy, I got a little "starry nights" with Joe Henry which I prefer over Josh Ritter to a considerable degree. What's the poop on this guy Davey? I'm thinkin' if much of his stuff is in the vein of "You Can't Fail Me Now" I need to explore his catalogue.

Yeah, Joe Henry is pretty special to many of us. Glad you got it OK and are connecting with some of it. Does have kind of a nice flow, although some of it is a bit atmospheric for the holidays :)

I love Joe Henry. One of my favorites. Short Man's Room takes you back to his alt-country roots, but the more eclectic Fuse is the one that made me love him. That album was one of the first things I discovered when I made my initial visit to Rave Recs all those many years ago. The golden age of discovery. Really expanded my music universe. Can't think of any better reason than "Like She Was a Hammer". Just an incredible song, on an album full of incredible songs. And Scar was one of my top albums of the year in 2001, with Ornette Coleman supplying some skronky sax to punctuate a couple of Joe's tales. Really a musician's record, with Brad Mehldau and Me'Shell NdegeOcello and Marc Ribot some of the key players in the band. But it's still Joe's broken delivery of those gripping lyrics that makes it for me. The last two records have been more oriented toward the music, and I don't love Tiny Voices and Civilians quite as much as that brilliant trilogy of Trampoline / Fuse / Scar, but they may be his most musically rich works yet.

In any case, that song on the Mixer is somewhat indicative of the highlights on all of the last 5 records, but if you're a newbie I'd grab Fuse first. The songs are a little more urgent, the music not as smooth, not quite as sophisticated overall, but it's a knockout.

bobsticks
12-01-2007, 09:34 AM
That's a pretty serious collection of talent. I'm thinkin' between Joe Henry and some Sigur Ros that I was priveledged enough to sample that I have the new December Grails to chase...and I don't mind a little atmosphere even on the holidays.