And now there are two.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : And now there are two....

Bernd
11-20-2007, 07:49 AM
....TTs.
I spent last week auditioning some TTs, to see if it is wothwhile adding a second one.
Always fancied another TT as some records just sound better on a solid plinth rather than a suspended one. On top of that I really would like to listen to some high quality mono recordings. At the last few record fairs more and more mono discs keep appearing. Good enough reason for me. And the Steelhead can support up to three different set ups :) .
I made a short list of three TTs to listen too.

Clearaudio Performance
Rega P9
VPI Scout.

I came away with the Clearaudio and it got delivered today. It is a brand new design and features a ceramic magnetic bearing ie. no friction at all. Carbon Fibre tonearm with one piece wiring, 40mm solid platter all mounted an a sandwiched composite plinth.
The Rega was a fine TT and arm combo. It just sounded a little too dry and the soundstage appeared to be small.
The VPI is well made and looks fine. For me it was just a little too hifi. I can see why somebody would prefer the other two over my choice.
I just have to start looking now for a good true mono cartridge. Something like the Lyra Dorian. But that has to wait for the time being as the wallet is now recovering from open surgery. Maybe father christmas will leave one (a cartridge that is) under the tree for me. I have been pretty good all year.:)

A little pic for your enjoyment.

Peace

:16:

basite
11-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Congrats Bernd, that's a really nice tt :cornut:

How does it compare to your SME??

Happy spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
11-20-2007, 08:48 AM
A thing of beauty. Looks very nice next to the SME. Just like Bert I will be looking forward to some comparisons. I hope Santa is good to you this year.

Bernd
11-20-2007, 08:56 AM
...for the kind words guys.
It does look rather good next to the big boy. I have not compared it yet. Short on time, but will do an in depth listening session over the weekend. I suppose the SME is just a step or two above in the finer details, but we shall see (hear). It's the mono thing that has me all excited. Saw some outstanding blues recordings all on pristine mono vinyl at the last fair. Our next local record fair is on saturday I shall be attending.:)

Peace

dean_martin
11-20-2007, 10:57 AM
congrats, Benrd!

There's a mono version of the Benz Micro Ace that might get you by while you recover from open-wallet surgery.

bobsticks
11-20-2007, 07:58 PM
Damn, that's just scary good looking. I'm not even sure what to say other than congratulations on a medium for new tunes and, in fact, what legitimately looks like a beautiful freakin' piece of art in your home. You're never afraid to show us something new, eh?

Enjoy friend.

Bernd
11-21-2007, 02:54 AM
...thank you for the words of appreciation.

And thank you Deano for the heads up on the Benz. I hadn't considerd these. I know that Lyra, Shelter and Koetsu (oh yeah, not likely) make mono cartridges. Any others to look into?
You're right, a nice TT is a thing of beauty. Even if digital manages one day to surpass analogue on sound:)(again highly unlikely) I shall always have a TT. No digital spinner or streaming device looks anything as good as a TT.
Oddly enough I had a trial with a TT from Clearaudio a couple of years ago, when I was going to upgrade my Michell Orbe.
I brought the Clearaudio Ambient home. That was a really horrible experience. It did run with three belts, and they kept touching each other and flew off. The arm kept sticking mid-record whenever it felt like. That went back and in came the SME.:6:
It seems that Clearaudio have sorted those faults now. One Belt and the arm is as smooth as anything.

Peace

Feanor
11-21-2007, 06:56 AM
....TTs.
I spent last week auditioning some TTs, to see if it is wothwhile adding a second one.
Always fancied another TT as some records just sound better on a solid plinth rather than a suspended one. On top of that I really would like to listen to some high quality mono recordings. At the last few record fairs more and more mono discs keep appearing. Good enough reason for me. And the Steelhead can support up to three different set ups :) .
A little pic for your enjoyment.

Peace

:16:.

Thanks, Bernd,

A very handsome piece of equipment. And, hey, I'm interest to hear your rationale for acquisition. Not despite that, the Clearaudio seems a bit frivolous given your SME.

Needless to say -- but you know me, so I'll say it anyway -- I consider vinyl itself to be extremely frivolous.

Bernd
11-21-2007, 07:51 AM
.....so long, Bill?:cornut:
It is indeed an indulgence. My reason: I want to play some of the mono records that keep appearing and there are some great new re-releases also in mono. And to be honest I don't fancy to change cartridge every time. So a decent TT set up for mono replay will fullfil that. Just need to get a mono cartridge now.
Hope all is well your end.

Peace

nightflier
11-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Oh I do love those Clearaudio 'tables - they're like Feng Shui for audiophiles. On looks alone, they have a special place in my heart, but everything I've read about their sound is equally impressive. I've been so pleased with my Virtuoso Wood cartridge that I can't imagine the tables are any less impressive. Unfortunately I'm more into the Emotion/BlueMotion price range, but for now I'm very happy with my Music Hall.

Regarding cartridge changing, I have the same issues, although in my case I would want two identical tables to audition different cartridges - and yes, Feanor, that would indeed be frivolous. Since I do a lot of A/B comparisons, I would love a better solution, but since there isn't one, really, my TT setup has actually remained surprisingly constant while I've been swapping other stuff left & right. Maybe this is a good thing.

Maybe my best option is to find a table with two arm mounts. Bernd, did you consider that option? If so, what tables were you thinking of?

Bernd
11-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Maybe my best option is to find a table with two arm mounts. Bernd, did you consider that option? If so, what tables were you thinking of?

Hi nightflier,

Yes I did consider that. But for me it was a no go as I want to keep the SME. I could have had a Clearaudio Champion Magnum with two armboards or a Nottingham Analogue Interspace with two. The Magnum was just to expensive compared to the Performance. I think I have made the right decision. Still looking for a good mono cartridge though. I must say I do like the look of the Benz ACE.
Have a great thanks giving.

Peace

Bernd
11-24-2007, 02:52 AM
.... and enquiering minds. SME v Clearaudio.

Well last night I had at last some undisturbed time to set the Clearaudio up and do a little listening. I didn't start out to compare the two TTs to see which one is better, as that would not be a fair duel. It was rather more to evaluate the difference in their individual musical presentations.
So the SME had my usual Dynavector mounted and the Clearaudio the Transfiguration.
I know both cartridges very well. The Transfiguration Temper V is somewhere between a Decca and a Koetsu whereas the Dynavector has a sound I really like. Nothing quite like anything else and it suits me.
I played side a on one TT and side b on the other one. The differences are very much evident.
Whereas the SME locks on to the groove and is rock solid with whatever comes. The Clearaudio in contrast sounds a little lighter, more hurried and edge of the seat presentation. The SME always sounds in control whereas the Clearaudio sounds like it could all fall apart, but never does. Both combos dig up masses of detail. About evens I reckon. But the SME has them all fleshed out more.
The best analogy to sum up I can give is this:
If it would be two paintings of the same landscape scene, the Clearaudio would be the watercolour on paper and the SME the full blown Oil on heavy canvas.
I reckon that a mono set-up would really suit the Clearaudio as it might inject some live into 50s or 60s mono recordings. We shall see (hear). It's all pretty exciting stuff.
Hope my rambling made sense.
Have a good weekend.

Peace

Mr Peabody
11-24-2007, 07:02 AM
I have played some mono recordings on my regular TT. Mono on vinyl is much much better than on CD. The mono on CD I've heard is like listening to music through a partially open door where vinyl is fuller, more of a bloom. Mono on vinyl still some how utilizes more of the soundstage though it's still centralized. The only mono CD I've kept was a Booker T & the MG's which is tolerable. Every other CD that turned out to be mono I've gotten rid of because I knew I couldn't bare to listen to it again. I've been impressed with some of the mono vinyl I've come across. The soundtrack to Pennies From Heaven, Louie Armstrong and a Doris Day are a couple stand outs.

I wonder what the difference would be between listening to mono on a stereo cart opposed to a mono cart? If a stereo cart plays mono, why bother with a mono set up?

I have to say you auditioned 3 nice tables though.

Bernd
11-24-2007, 07:24 AM
I wonder what the difference would be between listening to mono on a stereo cart opposed to a mono cart? If a stereo cart plays mono, why bother with a mono set up?

Hi Mr.P,

I used to wonder that too, until last year when I attended a demonstration. The difference has all to do with the way mono (and stereo) records are cut.
In order to extract two channels of information from a single groove, stereo cartridges read information in both the horizontal and vertical plane (the only plane the people making mono recordings worried about are the horizontal ones) play them with a stereo cartridge and any vertical modulation are added to the signal. But a cartridge that only reads horizontal information, but does so with the resolution and capability of a modern mc - now that is another matter all together. It's also why a mono switch on your pre or phono stage will not do the same job. It's about how the information is read at the input, ie on a mono record musical information is only present in the horizontal plane.

Peace

Mr Peabody
11-24-2007, 07:44 AM
That makes sense. You are definitely dedicated.

JohnMichael
11-24-2007, 08:35 AM

If it would be two paintings of the same landscape scene, the Clearaudio would be the watercolour on paper and the SME the full blown Oil on heavy canvas.
Have a good weekend.

Peace

A very good analogy that gives me a real sense of the differences. I can understand how some music might sound better on the SME and other music might benefit from the Clearaudio. Have a great weekend spinning vinyl. My next ttable improvement is trying the Ringmat Goldspot mat.

basite
11-24-2007, 08:39 AM
thanks for the comparison, it definately makes sense :)

I didn't get the thorens TD-160 I told you about in the PM, maybe I should save on for a new tt instead...

thanks again for the musical package :)

Happy spinning,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
11-24-2007, 02:43 PM
One of the best purchases made this year by ARer. Congrats on your new toy.

I've been curious about mono carts myself as well. If there is a choice between mono and enhanced sterio version, I always prefer to get untainted "dual" mono pressings.

Great mono LP creates incredible depth in music. Creates this illusion that there are wide rows and rows of musicians in one's living space.

Removable headshell will be a great way to experience what different carts can offer. But having multiple TT is much cooler!

I'm sure Shelter 501II will do just fine, but there are alot of options from Benz Micro. I think you've been good enough to get something other than Grado or Denon 102.

Keep us updated on what little box you'll attach on the end of your stick.

NICE!

audio amateur
11-25-2007, 01:23 PM
....But that has to wait for the time being as the wallet is now recovering from open surgery.

REALLY made me laugh:) hope the recovering is going alright. Sure it will be worth it;)
Enjoy

nightflier
11-25-2007, 07:39 PM

Well last night I had at last some undisturbed time to set the Clearaudio up and do a little listening. I didn't start out to compare the two TTs to see which one is better, as that would not be a fair duel. It was rather more to evaluate the difference in their individual musical presentations.
So the SME had my usual Dynavector mounted and the Clearaudio the Transfiguration.
I know both cartridges very well. The Transfiguration Temper V is somewhere between a Decca and a Koetsu whereas the Dynavector has a sound I really like. Nothing quite like anything else and it suits me.
I played side a on one TT and side b on the other one. The differences are very much evident.
Whereas the SME locks on to the groove and is rock solid with whatever comes. The Clearaudio in contrast sounds a little lighter, more hurried and edge of the seat presentation. The SME always sounds in control whereas the Clearaudio sounds like it could all fall apart, but never does. Both combos dig up masses of detail. About evens I reckon. But the SME has them all fleshed out more.
The best analogy to sum up I can give is this:
I reckon that a mono set-up would really suit the Clearaudio as it might inject some live into 50s or 60s mono recordings. We shall see (hear). It's all pretty exciting stuff.
Hope my rambling made sense.
Have a good weekend.

Peace

Ouch, that's not very flattering to the Clearaudio. So dowstream from the tables, everything was identical? I presume the Steelhead has two inputs?

Bernd
11-26-2007, 03:21 AM
..... ,raided the piggy bank and made some unsavoury promises, so I could order my mono cartridge today.:) I went for the Benz Micro Ace mono high output. In the end I reckon it will be a great match with the Clearaudio. I will run the Benz through the MM input on the Manley. So I have, with the second TT, a completely opposite set-up to the SME. Just what I had in mind.
If you play second hand vinyl that has not been carefully handled and/or played, is it better to use a high output cartridge and low amplification or a low output and high amplification to surpress the surface noise. Any ideas. Always wondered about that.

To Nightflier, I like the Clearaudio. Even though I set out not to compare the two TTs in the end that's what happened. The differences are there and so they should be. All was set up the same apart from the cartridge (obviously) and the tonearm lead and it's corresponding pF setting.
The SME is just more vivid and bigger sounding than the Clearaudio. If I wouldn't have the SME here to compare the Clearaudio would stand tall, no question about it. I reckon it will be just the right TT for my little mono adventure. It is a very fine TT and arm combo indeed.
Hope that makes sense.

Peace

Bernd
12-04-2007, 08:40 AM
.....and Clearaudio Performance.
Well the Benz Ace high output Mono arrived yesterday and I couldn't wait till Christmas to get my grubby hands on it and marry it to the Clearaudio. So that's what I did, and last night I listened to a few choice mono discs I have started to pick up during the last month or so.
And the sound-I hear you ask-:) :6: Wow is not enough. Not only is this a damn fine mono cartridge, but a very good cartridge full stop.
The best way to describe the mono experience is that it sounds a lot more intimate. More like you are there in the recording studio when the tracks are cut. Yes you don't get any spatial info but a stage depth that goes on forever with the performers right there lifelike in your room playing for you. And then it hits you. The whole mono listening experience is just so quiet (very low level of background noise) and very adictive. It just sounds oh so real and pure. So un-messed with.
I run it through the MM input with a 50db amplification and 47k Ohm. Absolutely wonderful.
Just have to look for some more Mono records now.

Peace

basite
12-04-2007, 08:41 AM
well, congrats on the new cart :cornut:

besides sounding nice, It really looks good too :)
what have you been playing so far?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

dean_martin
12-04-2007, 09:06 AM
Sweeeeet!!! The Benz Ace was recommended to me several years ago by a nerdy looking guy in a hole-in-the-wall establishment outside Atlanta. I was on a business trip and had a little time to search for out-of-the way stereo shops. I've always remembered his passion for that cart. Art Dudley wrote about the mono version not too long ago.

I'm glad it works well with your fine new table and the Manley.

Bernd
12-04-2007, 09:16 AM
Thanks guys. And kudos to Deano for giving the heads up on the Benz. I don't think I would have thought about a Benz Mono. I know the Benz LP very well and the Ace is cut from the same cloth.
Listening to this mono cartridge playing mint Mono vinyl going though the Manley is goose bumps material. Very spooky when Bob Dylan suddenly walks a couple of steps forward in mid-song.
I reckon the Benz will need, as most cartridges do, some 100 hours on it to really open up, as the bass is a little light at the moment, but that will come.

Peace

basite
12-04-2007, 09:18 AM
Very spooky when Bob Dylan suddenly walks a couple of steps forward in mid-song.

I can imagine that would be pretty cool too :)