Newbie/Oldie [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie/Oldie

traugh
11-20-2007, 06:00 AM
A newbie here considering making the jump to some sort of Home theater setup. Basically have lots of speakers and some stereo amps and want to use as much as I currently have to set up a home theater system. The Axiom MT80 speakers are large towers but 4 ohm. All the rest of my speakers (McIntosh, Boston, Cambridge, Advent) are 8 ohm.

Is there a receiver that can handle running the combination of 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers at the same time? (I obviously don't know much about anything since my college stereo days).

Have not purchased any type of home theater receiver or even a television that would be suitable. I set up my current TV to my HK stereo AMP and the Axioms and the wife was impressed. I want to go the next step now ............

My rooms are currently not able to be setup to have much space behind the listener.

Would like to still run stereo to another room as well and of course would like to "ease" in to this new home theater thing without too much $$ to start with.

BTW I do have an old JBL multi speaker theater setup 5.1 downstairs that is about 10 years old. Don't know much about it past setting it up. My kids use it for gaming and TV watching.

Basically I need some scenarios which will allow me to get into this thing gradually. I need to impress the wife with what is possible with this before I will have the approval to spend much money on it. I will list my equipment I have to work with here:
Mcintosh XR5 speakers
McIntosh XL-10 speakers
Axiom MT80 towers (4ohm)
Cambridge Newton M50 speakers
Advent Prodigy Towers (need foam)
Boston Acoustics A60 speakers
McIntosh MA6100 integrated Stereo amp
HK stereo amp (newer model - not sure of the number 230?).

Not really worried about matching qualities of the speakers at this point - I just want a way to get them to work together. I am thinking I now need some sort of multi channel receiver that can handle some of these speakers.

pixelthis
11-21-2007, 02:31 AM
i can answer one of your questions.
You need a receiver, for the new codecs if nothing else.
But I WOULD take the front left and right pre outs and run them through the mac.
If the Mac can take 4 ohms (it should) you can run the axioms with it.
Use the speaker outs for the other channels(the amps from the receiver) doesnt matter if they are 8 ohm, but all of them need to be either 8 or 4, dont mix.
Wont matter for the fronts because the mac will be running them
Vollume control might get messy...

traugh
11-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Hey thanks. I had thought that might be a scenario. Any suggestions
for a receiver that will handle it? I don't really think I need 7.1 with my room
so a 5.1 would work.

i can answer one of your questions.
You need a receiver, for the new codecs if nothing else.
But I WOULD take the front left and right pre outs and run them through the mac.
If the Mac can take 4 ohms (it should) you can run the axioms with it.
Use the speaker outs for the other channels(the amps from the receiver) doesnt matter if they are 8 ohm, but all of them need to be either 8 or 4, dont mix.
Wont matter for the fronts because the mac will be running them
Vollume control might get messy...