Favorite Batman Movie. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Batman Movie.

Smokey
11-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Batman movies seem to be going thru a hit and miss motions. One is funny, one is dark and another is somewhere in between. the last installment of batman movie (Batman Begins) seem to go in the right direction as far as setting the right mood, but IMO they made it too dark.

So to pick my favorite, have to go back to 1995 batman movie Batman Forever. What set this movie apart from the rest was the villains, with Jim Carry as the Riddler and Tommy Jones as Two Face. Val Kilmer was Ok as the batman, but the villains made this movie head and shoulder above the rest.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/demes/batman/bat_vill.jpg

jim goulding
11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
I'll go for the dark one. That one is just too silly.

L.J.
11-19-2007, 06:04 PM
Batman Begins by far.

PeruvianSkies
11-20-2007, 12:01 AM
Each of these films have their share of problems, but Christopher Nolan's BATMAN BEGINS embodies the essence of Batman more authentically than the rest. The only other film that would be close would be the two by Burton BATMAN (1989) and BATMAN RETURNS (1992), which are very Burton-eque, but it works for the most part with the gothic overtones, but the first film was plagued by a lousy script and the second one had too many characters competing for screen time. Then Joel Schumacher (who I usually like) was man-handled and directed the horrid BATMAN FOREVER, which created what I call the Neon Batman era, which was taken to an even more extreme and ridiculous height in BATMAN AND ROBIN, which could single-handedly be the worst film ever made. Again this film suffered from too many characters, not enough screen time, and mis-casting. The 1966 film doesn't really count it was really a pilot for the show, which was a feature film to help launch the series and is silly and cheesy, but that was it's target back then.

So by this default I have to vote for BATMAN BEGINS, which finally took a serious look at the dark world of Bruce Wayne and started from the beginning, which was a great idea and worked well. I think that THE DARK KNIGHT (2008) will take that even further and make for an even better film, plus Katie Holmes is replaced by a much better fit in Maggie Gyllenhaal....YEAH!

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/2470/darkll7jv3.jpg

s dog
11-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Bat Man Begins all the way. That land rover tank thing was cool.

Troy
11-20-2007, 12:20 PM
The cheesy 60s one based on the TV show.

You can keep all the others.

Honestly, I think I'm the only guy in America that thought Batman Begins was just awful. Corny and predictable.

I've seen enough Batman movies for 3 lifetimes.

PeruvianSkies
11-20-2007, 05:03 PM
The cheesy 60s one based on the TV show.

You can keep all the others.

Honestly, I think I'm the only guy in America that thought Batman Begins was just awful. Corny and predictable.

I've seen enough Batman movies for 3 lifetimes.

The 1966 film was not based on the TV show, rather the other way around, check out my post.

Troy
11-20-2007, 05:14 PM
The 1966 film was not based on the TV show, rather the other way around, check out my post.

All I know is that I saw the TV show a full year before I saw the movie in a theater. All us kids were excited by the movie because they were familiar with the TV show.

PeruvianSkies
11-20-2007, 05:43 PM
All I know is that I saw the TV show a full year before I saw the movie in a theater. All us kids were excited by the movie because they were familiar with the TV show.

Correct, it was originally planned to be the pilot and was shot prior to the show, but ended up being shown between 1st and 2nd seasons.

bobsticks
11-20-2007, 07:35 PM
I have high hopes for The Dark Knight. Just a hunch, but I think Heath Ledger is gonna surprise alot of folks.

PeruvianSkies
11-20-2007, 07:45 PM
I have high hopes for The Dark Knight. Just a hunch, but I think Heath Ledger is gonna surprise alot of folks.

I agree!!!

http://www.toxicshock.tv/news/wp-content/uploads/poster_dark_knight_joker.jpg

Smokey
11-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Looks like Batman Begins going for the broke!

IMO the main problem with Batman movies are the Batman character itself. They are not convincing as main character. Keaton, Kilmer and Cloney spem how fit not into “mystery” world of Batman and seem to be too vulnerable.

Batman character in Batman Begins seem to be more realistic, but the down fall here might be that movie concentrate too much on Batman and/or did not make villains too interesting.

PeruvianSkies
11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
Looks like Batman Begins going for the broke!

IMO the main problem with Batman movies are the Batman character itself. They are not convincing as main character. Keaton, Kilmer and Cloney spem how fit not into “mystery” world of Batman and seem to be too vulnerable.

Batman character in Batman Begins seem to be more realistic, but the down fall here might be that movie concentrate too much on Batman and/or did not make villains too interesting.

The one thing that the movie and show from the late 60's had going for it was that it was a smart kids show, even though looking back on it now it might seem a bit cheesy and such, but it was a smart show that was always trying to be both action-oriented, but also thought-provoking at times and you don't get that combination these days. I wish I had lived during this time when shows like THE AVENGERS (one of the greatest shows ever) along with STAR TREK (one of the other greatest shows ever) were in their prime, especially since they were always interesting, intelligent, and innovative...those are 3 "i" words that you don't get these days. Another show that I have to take this time to recommend that few people have seen, but you could probably get it on Netflix is the show SAPPHIRE AND STEEL, which starred Joanna Lumley and David McCallum....the show is AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME, from 1979-1982 you can get the box set.

Worf101
11-21-2007, 06:23 AM
The scariest Joker I've ever seen. Reminds me of the Joker as drawn by Doug Moench in "Bloodstorm", wherein a Vampiric Batman is opposed by a Joker leading a band of undead. Interesting book, amazing portrayal of Batman's nemesis.

As for the Poll I like Burtons "Batman" as much as "Batman Begins". I love Nicholson's Joker but despise the latters Ras A Goul. Can't put it any plainer. I'd watch either in a minute.

Da Worfster

sgt bass08
12-13-2007, 09:04 AM
i dont like batman hes got to be the lamest superhereo out there driving around gotham city in is batmobile and a cheesy suit :nonod: superheros have to have powers like superman and spiderman wots batman got little throwing bat thing :ihih: and is tv show is even worse with gay fights and silly story lines :cornut: and weres robin wot moives do u see robin in :incazzato:

johnny p
12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
I didn't care for any of them. I realize they are wildly successful I guess...... I like the original Superman movies, and not the new ones.... I guess based on storyline??? Not sure really.... KNEEL BEFORE ZOD..... but anyways... I'm hesitant to get the Transformers movie..... I guess I'm a little bitter that more "original" ideas aren't making it, because you can grab a Brad Pitt, or Jim Carrey, or you can make a 5th Matrix, 17th Rocky, or re-adapt a comic book, and you basically guarantee a return on your investment....... Taking a chance and making the next Midnight Cowboy, or Rain Main could bankrupt your entire development team!

PeruvianSkies
12-13-2007, 10:14 AM
i dont like batman hes got to be the lamest superhereo out there driving around gotham city in is batmobile and a cheesy suit :nonod: superheros have to have powers like superman and spiderman wots batman got little throwing bat thing :ihih: and is tv show is even worse with gay fights and silly story lines :cornut: and weres robin wot moives do u see robin in :incazzato:

You type like you are sending a text message.

Have you seen BATMAN BEGINS? Maybe that would clue you in to the origins of BATMAN a bit instead of reading the comics, which would help you gain a perspective on the Dark Knight, contrary to popular depictions Batman is actually not this cheesy caped dork from the 1960's series with Adam West.

sgt bass08
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
You type like you are sending a text message.

Have you seen BATMAN BEGINS? Maybe that would clue you in to the origins of BATMAN a bit instead of reading the comics, which would help you gain a perspective on the Dark Knight, contrary to popular depictions Batman is actually not this cheesy caped dork from the 1960's series with Adam West.

lol You type like you are sending a text message i dont know wot u mean by dat m8 :) yer ive seen batman begins its crap no action i like my comic films with action anyway batman is gay and i dont like comics just films and theres r loads of gd comic films like hellboy,xmen,blade etc etc but batmans seems lame lol i just dont think they r as gd as the others but dark knight might be good :idea: lol i thought batman series were done in 70s im talking about the batman shows were every time batman r robin hit someone the POW!! BANG!! come up in cartoon writing lol thats the one im talking about

johnny p
12-13-2007, 11:11 AM
lol You type like you are sending a text message i dont know wot u mean by dat m8 :) yer ive seen batman begins its crap no action i like my comic films with action anyway batman is gay and i dont like comics just films and theres r loads of gd comic films like hellboy,xmen,blade etc etc but batmans seems lame lol i just dont think they r as gd as the others but dark knight might be good :idea: lol i thought batman series were done in 70s im talking about the batman shows were every time batman r robin hit someone the POW!! BANG!! come up in cartoon writing lol thats the one im talking about

Reminds me of a line from the Movie "Snatch" "Blagged? Speak English to me, Tony. I thought this country spawned the f****ing language, and so far nobody seems to speak it"

PeruvianSkies
12-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Reminds me of a line from the Movie "Snatch" "Blagged? Speak English to me, Tony. I thought this country spawned the f****ing language, and so far nobody seems to speak it"

it's giving me a headache just trying to make a coherent thought from it. and dat iz a fakt.

Groundbeef
12-13-2007, 12:46 PM
it's giving me a headache just trying to make a coherent thought from it. and dat iz a fakt.

u got mad txt skillz PS!

Woochifer
12-13-2007, 01:12 PM
The scariest Joker I've ever seen. Reminds me of the Joker as drawn by Doug Moench in "Bloodstorm", wherein a Vampiric Batman is opposed by a Joker leading a band of undead. Interesting book, amazing portrayal of Batman's nemesis.

No kidding. When the casting was announced, I thought that Heath Ledger would surprise us in a good way. In the comics, I recall that the Joker was often portrayed as more of a menacing maniac, and this seems to fall along those lines.

As for the Poll I like Burtons "Batman" as much as "Batman Begins". I love Nicholson's Joker but despise the latters Ras A Goul. Can't put it any plainer. I'd watch either in a minute.

Agreed that both of those films are very good, albeit very different, takes on the Batman legend. The way I see it, the Burton movie was steeped in pop culture and played up into a sort of gothic fantasy world, while the Nolan movie is more about creating the Batman legend as the dark vigilante yet keeping the scenery grounded in reality.

I generally give the edge to Batman Begins because Christopher Nolan's interpretation of the Batman/Bruce Wayne character is about as spot on as I could have hoped for. I thought that Keaton also nailed the Batman character, but his Bruce Wayne did not work quite as well. Bale got them both right.

I think I generally like Nicholson's Joker less than other people and his character pretty much dominated the Burton movie, while it seems that the Nolan movie deliberately played down the villains. Should be interesting to see how much space is taken up now by the Joker character in The Dark Knight.

musicman1999
12-13-2007, 05:45 PM
The original 1966 film was filmed in April and May 1966, after the first season had aired and was first shown at the end of July, 1966.So it was as such not a pilot but a fill in between 2 seasons.Television seasons back then were not the same as they are now, Batman for example ran about 60 shows in their first 12 months.Btw that film is a great blast from the past to anyone that say those shows in the 60's, and i still remember seeing at the theater

bill.

sgt bass08
12-14-2007, 05:26 AM

nah its u u dumb :) nah soz for my bad typing :18:

sgt bass08
12-14-2007, 05:33 AM
u got mad txt skillz PS!

PS aint got no skills lol hes no gansta :5:

Rich-n-Texas
12-14-2007, 05:39 AM
My guess PS is that sarg is about 12 years old. That speaks volumes in and of itself.

johnny p
12-14-2007, 07:26 AM
in his Defense, his profile says he's from Engalnd UK, and I don't have the slightest idea where Engalnd is!!!!!

*please take no offense, I hope you continue to extract, and contribute opinions, knowledge, and hallucinations to these boards..... most of what I submit is pointless.... we all have our strengths.*

Gerald Cooperberg
12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
No votes for the first Burton adaptation? I like that over Batman Begins by some distance. I'm with Troy in that I didn't care for the new one at all... I'll probably see Batman Begins Returns or whatever because I'm just as curious about Heath Ledger in it as everyone else but I found the previous installment to be too overwrought by half. Burton strikes the right balance of darkness and surreal fun for me... everyone in the cast gets the tone dead-on, especially Keaton, who's definitely my favorite in the role. You can keep yr IMAX-ready special-effects-laden angst-fest as long as I get to have my "Batdance".

-Coop

3-LockBox
12-17-2007, 11:44 AM

adsoqoicn;aslfjoeirfsoifncncieowpqwop8375jns,mnalj ohgdsjsjtrjgfxngfejgrsngfsjgrejfdgfjnaxpqwi[qou3oscln':cornut:

but on the other hand, you have different fingers

sgt bass08
12-17-2007, 12:09 PM
adsoqoicn;aslfjoeirfsoifncncieowpqwop8375jns,mnalj ohgdsjsjtrjgfxngfejgrsngfsjgrejfdgfjnaxpqwi[qou3oscln':cornut:

but on the other hand, you have different fingers

lol do i really type that bad :ihih:

PeruvianSkies
12-19-2007, 11:34 PM
lol do i really type that bad :ihih:

Yes indeed.