Help on speakers...! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help on speakers...!

Tetsuro
11-19-2007, 12:23 PM
I plan to replace mine Tannoy Fusion 2 with the Wharfedale 9.1.
Do you think I will lose something (in terms of audio quality, soundstage, fullness of sound)?

How big is the difference between 16 cm woofers and 13 cm woofers? And what I will lose having speakers a lot smaller (Wharfedale is a bit deeper but far less 'tall'.. 10 cm).

I plan to build a new system based on Onkyo 9355 and Wharfies 9.1, do you think it will sounds good?

JohnMichael
11-19-2007, 12:54 PM
I recently purchased the Onkyo A 9555 and it is an excellent int. amp. The A9355 should also be very good. The amp is more musical and refined then my Cambridge Audio 640A. I think you will be very pleased with the Onkyo and I would wait on speakers. I am enjoying my current speakers much more with the signal being fed to them. You might be pleased at how much better the Tannoy Fusion 2's will sound.

Tetsuro
11-19-2007, 01:19 PM
I recently purchased the Onkyo A 9555 and it is an excellent int. amp. The A9355 should also be very good. The amp is more musical and refined then my Cambridge Audio 640A. I think you will be very pleased with the Onkyo and I would wait on speakers. I am enjoying my current speakers much more with the signal being fed to them. You might be pleased at how much better the Tannoy Fusion 2's will sound.

Thanks, hope that the 9355 will retain the positive characteristics of it's big brother mine doubt come as the little does have far less dynamic power:
9355 power output: 70W
9355 dynamic power: 75W
9555 power output: 100W
9555 dynamic power: 200W
It's me or these number don't follow the same behavior? :confused5:
For the speakers I'm just worried to have damaged them, I will never feel good with them anymore... maybe it's psicological but I think they don't sound like before.. and I would not like to buy the same speakers (also they cost 100 euros more :) ). I just don't want to feel sorry if the Wharfies will sound less good. :(

nightflier
11-19-2007, 02:41 PM
I would follow JM's advice - don't replace everything at once. If possible hold onto the older component after you've bought the new one. A few A/B tests can be quite enlightening and sometimes you'll find the older one is better.

As an example, I had an MSB Link III DAC in my system that I thought I was very happy with. That was until I dusted off an old Aragon D2A that I had been storing. It turns out the Aragon, long since out of production and with lesser specs, still delivers deeper bass and greater depth of soundstage. So you never know - not everything that is shiny and new sounds as good as the legacy stuff.

Regarding how the Onkyo will sound with the new speakers, it's really a question of taste. While the Wharf's may be excellent performers (I haven't heard them), they may not gell well with the Onkyo. Or even if they do, it may not be to your liking. Tannoy speakers have a sound that people who own them tend to favor. You may find out the same is true in your system.

I would recommend trying a few other components and/or teaks in your system and see if something else might be a better fit in your case - maybe the sound you are unhappy with has nothing to do with the speakers or the amp. It could be as simple as room reflections or a damaged cable. Anyhow, take some time to investigate before making that purchase.

And of course, enjoy the auditioning...

jrhymeammo
11-19-2007, 09:49 PM
9355 power output: 70W
9355 dynamic power: 75W
9555 power output: 100W
9555 dynamic power: 200W

Those figures are extremly misleading. Take a look at links below.

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/13509854_a6a99b54dc.jpg

http://www.eu.onkyo.com/ir_img/11093710_f2a960840e.jpg

Normal Wattage and Dynamic Rating of 9355 and 9555 is rated in different ohm.

9355 is rated at:
70w in 4ohm
75w(dynamic) in 4ohm

while 9555 is rated at:
100w in 8 ohm
200 w(dynamic) in 4ohm
They should state the dynimac rating in 8ohm at 120 watts.

9355 is rated at 38 watts of Dynamic into 8 ohm. Most receivers/amps are rated in 8ohm with 4ohm ratings.

Ideally, 35 watts amplifier in 8ohm will need to have a doubled output of 70watts into 4ohms at the same THD.

The specs of Dynamic Range given by Onkyo is almost useless cuz you have to consider the % of harmonic Distorition (THD).

Some of the good figures, and figures only, would be LESS than 0.1% THD at rated wattage. Of course if you were to look into THD of tube amps, then'll be much higher. But THD of tube amps are in even-order distortion, uinlike odd-order distortion produced by Solid State/digital amps. Without going to far into it, just know that even order distrotion is much more easier to listen to than odd-order distortion. Imagine odd-order distortion is like turning to a TV channel with no signals. Not a pleasant sound.
Typically, dynamic wattage is rated with much higher THD of 1% or higher. Some companies will even rate them at 10%. More distortion means higher stress on amps=less musical signal being fed to your speakers. Alot of amps can produce much more power under higher distortion. Dynamic range is only useful for sudden/loud musical passages. But you have to remember that in order to gain JUST 3db of sound pressure, you have to double the wattages such as: 50 watts to 100 watts, 100 watts to 200 watts.

If you speakers has a sensitivity of 88dB/1m then you will only need 1 watt to produce 88dB of sound at 1meter away from your speakers.

88dB at 1 watt
91 dB at 2w
94 dB at 4w
97 dB at 8w
100 dB at 16w
103 dB at 32w
106 dB at 64w
109 dB at 128w
112 dB at 256w
115 dB at 512w

If you are trying to decide between 70w receiver and 200w, you will see that there isnt that much difference in how loud your receiver will make your speakers play. We are only talking about the difference of 4 dB.
Based on figures above, you shouldnt really need to use no more than 64 watts. My speakers have a sensitivity rating of 86 dB, but I dont think I use more than 16 watts 95% of the time.

But amps with higher rated power output will have parts that will have more power storage/capability such as Transformer and Capacitors. I'll let Kex answer that one, cuz he knows more about it than anyone else on this site.

Tetsuro
11-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys, you have been enlighting (and I didn't notice those figures at 8 ohms :p ).
Tannoys speakers are surely good, I never regret the purchase.. it's just that I damaged them (lot of 'booms' with the older/damaged amplifier). :(

Time to rebirth. :D ;)

Tetsuro
11-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I have to ask you another important question: I have 8 cm (or less) of space from wall to speakers.. does it is a problem for rear ported reflex? I must concentrate to front port reflex?