New Tv!!!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Tv!!!!!!

JSE
11-18-2007, 04:34 PM
OK, I had to tell you guys and I figured I would post on this forum since the regulars here know me and know I am not trying to brag. I'm just excited. Anyway, I just bought a Samsung 52" LCD after a long search. I tried to buy it from Circuit City but they would not honor their own web price (Long story resulting in me smashing my cordless phone! :incazzato: ). What a bunch a crooks! I ended up buying it online from Amazon. I save about $500 dollars over Circuit City. So screw you CC! :dita: I have never bought anything this expensive online before so hopefully everything will go fine. Paid with Amex so I have protection. Should be here either Wednesday or Friday but I am guessing it will be next week with the holiday. No big deal.

I am also having a custom media center built that will sit below the LCD. The LCD will hang on the wall and the media center will be about 32" high and 72" long and 24" deep. The builder is custom building it for me so it will be plenty deep for all my equipment. The wife and I checked out some furniture stores today and all the media centers we found just seemed to be cheap crap and not really big enough to fit a "real" receiver in. A friend of ours uses a Amish furniture builder for all his furniture. It's all custom made and solid wood and amazingly beautiful. So we checked him out and we now have a media cabinet/center being built with solid hickory that will cost about double the cost of the TV. Doh! :idea: But, it will be beautiful and will last forever. I don't mind spending money for quality furniture.

Anyway, just had to tell you guys. When I get it set up, PARTY AT MY HOUSE! G'Man, bring the girls!

JSE

JohnMichael
11-18-2007, 04:52 PM
Congratulations and I am glad you got a good deal. The media center also sounds sweet.

L.J.
11-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Swwweeeeeettttt!!! Is this your first HDTV?

ForeverAutumn
11-18-2007, 06:32 PM
Congratulations JSE! You are going to LOVE your new TV...especially if you're a sports watcher.

We bought a 42" LCD HDTV (JVC) in September and I couldn't be happier with it. I can't stand watching hockey on regular TV now. I've become quite the snob. LOL.

bobsticks
11-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Just too sweet JSE. I'm thinking you've been looking long and hard, this sounds like quite a bit of deliberation went into it so hopefully everything will go off without a hitch and within a few days...voila.

My Grandfather used Amish builders for a variety of projects and the results were always spectacular. You can look forward to many years of enjoyment from some beautiful pieces. Good call on your part.

Enjoy.

JSE
11-18-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey, thanks guys.

Yes, this is my first HDTV so I can't wait to watch some football in my own house in HD. I have been going to the neighbors who got HD last year. He will be glad I got my own! I have done a lot of building and remodeling myself so mounting the LCD should not be much of an issue. I still need to run some HDMI cables and electrical in the wall next weekend so every will look clean.

I'm probably just as pumped about the media center. It's going to be really nice. Slide out shelves for equipement, folding back pocket doors, electrical, etc. I love fine woodworking and this guy is truly a master. If this piece turns out like we hope, we are going to have him build several more pieces. He can build what ever you want off a picture. He takes pride is building similiar pieces that the big stores carry and making them better. And for not that much more money.

Next up? Blue Ray or HD DVD? I have some time to think about that. The Amex is on fire and melting this month already. Hey, but I'm getting lots of points, right? :cryin:

bobsticks
11-18-2007, 08:48 PM
Make sure they leave room for proper ventilation and component upgrade. The Amsih are spectacular furniture makers but tend not to be hip to the daily ins-and-outs of audio/video.

Can't wait to see pictures.

dean_martin
11-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Congratulations! I wish all broadcasts were in HD.

I didn't think I'd ever find the right media stand/cabinet for our new flat panel. I finally ordered a piece from Laurier. It's functional and looks decent enough for the family room but like most of the "furniture grade" stuff it seemed a little overpriced. The rack for my 2-ch system was made to my specs by a friend at a tenth of the cost.

There are furniture builders from a Mennonite sect here in our area. I think they are a derivative of the Amish, but I'm not sure. They do wonderful work. They made my office furniture. I don't know why I didn't think about them for my home.

GMichael
11-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Congrats J,

You're gonna luv how it make LOST look.

Feanor
11-19-2007, 07:32 AM
OK, I had to tell you guys and I figured I would post on this forum since the regulars here know me and know I am not trying to brag. I'm just excited. Anyway, I just bought a Samsung 52" LCD after a long search. I tried to buy it from Circuit City but they would not honor their own web price (Long story resulting in me smashing my cordless phone! :incazzato: ). What a bunch a crooks! I ended up buying it online from Amazon. I save about $500 dollars over Circuit City. So screw you CC! :dita: I have never bought anything this expensive online before so hopefully everything will go fine. Paid with Amex so I have protection. Should be here either Wednesday or Friday but I am guessing it will be next week with the holiday. No big deal.

JSE

Nice going, JSE. :cornut: Enjoy! One has to shop carefully these days.

For my part I wish at least one of my old 27" CRTs would give up the ghost. Then I'd have to get some kind of HDTV, but I can't justify it 'till then. The good news is that one looks like it's on its way out.

JSE
11-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks guys.

Bob,

This guy is a "techie". He showed me photos of his home sytem. Very nice! We laid out all the spec and I did make sure to leave room for future upgrades. The shelves for the equipment will slide out and swivel for easy access and he will also make to center back panel easily removable for rear acess as well. He is also going to leave plenty of ventilation in the rear. He said he can also make the shelves adjustable veritically.

Feanor,

I know people, wink. wink. Let's just say they can "help" you out with your TV situation and make it all look like an accident. :shocked: Nobody will ever no any different.

Now that it's been a couple of days I can speak of CC without punching something. I tried to buy the TV on line per their 3 day online sale. The prices were only good online. I found the TV on their website and would then add it to my Cart. When the item was added to my Cart, the price jumped $300? I thought maybe is was tax, shipping, handling, something. I kept trying it and it just jumped $300 on based price before tax. I called CC and they said they did not see the low price I was talking about. I said it was on their own website. They had me clean my cookies, files, history, etc and I still got the lower price. I actually called a few friends and they got the same price as I did. I argued with CC for about an hour and they never would give in. They finally said there must be a "glitch" in my system? WTF! I said my friends must have the same glitch huh! They said they must. At the end CC the person I was speaking to said I was trying to rip them off and I should try a "better tactic". That's when various 4 letters words went a flyin' and so did the phone. Oh yeah, I ordered some new phones from Amazon as well on the same order. Whoops! :rolleyes5:

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ITEM FROM CIRCUIT CITY AGAIN! :incazzato: :mad2:

JSE

ForeverAutumn
11-19-2007, 08:49 AM
You should take a screen print of the web site showing the lower price and a print of the order screen showing the higher price and forward it, along with a detailed letter of your experience, to the CEO of Circuit City. Whoever you were dealing with on the phone was probably an employee with no decision power. If CC cares one bit about their customers, they'll respond to your letter. If not, screw 'em, tell everyone you know about your experience and don't shop there again.

I once had an equally frustrating problem with Sears. Afterwards, I wrote a detailed letter and faxed it to the CEO's office. His assistant phoned me within an hour of the fax being sent. The issue was rectified to my satisfaction and $150 in gift certs were in the mail to me before the day was out.

topspeed
11-19-2007, 12:00 PM
Congrats on your new toy, JSE! Now comes the dreaded domino effect as you ramp up your sources to take advantage of the set. Do I see a BluRay player and HD stb sticking out of Santa's bag? Have you been a good boy this year or does Nick need to check it twice? ;)

Groundbeef
11-19-2007, 12:20 PM

I am also having a custom media center built that will sit below the LCD. The LCD will hang on the wall and the media center will be about 32" high and 72" long and 24" deep. The builder is custom building it for me so it will be plenty deep for all my equipment. The wife and I checked out some furniture stores today and all the media centers we found just seemed to be cheap crap and not really big enough to fit a "real" receiver in. A friend of ours uses a Amish furniture builder for all his furniture. It's all custom made and solid wood and amazingly beautiful. So we checked him out and we now have a media cabinet/center being built with solid hickory that will cost about double the cost of the TV. Doh! :idea: But, it will be beautiful and will last forever. I don't mind spending money for quality furniture.

Anyway, just had to tell you guys. When I get it set up, PARTY AT MY HOUSE! G'Man, bring the girls!

JSE

Great news 4 U! You may want to pick up the ole' TV from what ever depot thats shipping it. I work for FedEx, and can assure you it will not be "Kid Gloved" getting it onto the delivery truck. As a bonus, neither FedEx or UPS offer "insurance" on Flat Panel displays. By picking it up you can open up the box at the terminal and inspect for damage. Makes a possible return so much easier.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but being totally serious. A large screen TV has got to be 1 of THE WORST items to ship.

JSE
11-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Great news 4 U! You may want to pick up the ole' TV from what ever depot thats shipping it. I work for FedEx, and can assure you it will not be "Kid Gloved" getting it onto the delivery truck. As a bonus, neither FedEx or UPS offer "insurance" on Flat Panel displays. By picking it up you can open up the box at the terminal and inspect for damage. Makes a possible return so much easier.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but being totally serious. A large screen TV has got to be 1 of THE WORST items to ship.

LCD Bliss!

Well, my 52" LCD arrived in Houston last Wednesday and they called me to arrange a time for delivery. Not wanting to wait any longer, I made the 20 minute drive to the distribution center and picked it up myself. That was Wednesday. Thanksgiving came, family came, friends came and the LCD just sat packed up in the guest bedroom. Got up Saturday and got a buddy to come over to help me set the thing up. I ran some new electrical inside the walls to a new plug assembly behind the wallmounted LCD, ran 3 HDMI wires, 1 optical and 1 digital audio cable inside the wall as well to give me plenty room for additions (Blue Ray?). I mounted the wall plate and hung it up. The TV looks great. No visible cables. Took about 10 hours with all the electrical work, minor sheetrock work, spackling, painting etc but it all looks top notch. HD will be piped in tomorrow so I can't wait.

Anyway, very impressed with Amazon. The LCD was shipped Monday and got to Houston Tuesday. Given the Holiday, it would have been a Friday delivery if I were patient. Without the holiday, it would have been the Thursday. Not bad service. Everything arrived in good shape and everything seems fine so far.

BTW, I ordered my HDMI cables through Oppo. Very nicely made cables and a very reasonable price. $29.00 for a 15 ft. cable. I guess I will know tomorrow if they perform as well as they are built.

JSE