Bobsticks, Have you seen this Stanley Jordan clip? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bobsticks, Have you seen this Stanley Jordan clip?

Hyfi
11-18-2007, 01:37 PM
This is nice as he plays two guitars at the same time.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HjXN3OLgoqs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HjXN3OLgoqs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

bobsticks
11-18-2007, 07:31 PM
I have not seen this video. I have, however, seen him perform this technique live at a dinner and music place called the Music Mill. We've had threads on these places before so I won't belabour the point except to say it's a great facility that usually pulls of every facet of the intended experience flawlessly. Three or four nights a week the Mill plays home to names like "Fatback Slimmy and the Texas Juggernauts" or "Turkey Joe" but every once in a while a major act will take a night there.

The night that I saw him he didn't do Zep, it was a segue coming out of "Elenor Rigby" and though I cannot remember the name of the tune the technique stands out very clearly.
Stanley's chops are so wildly divergent from that of standard fare that it's hard not to just sit back in awe.

I suspect Stanley's amps are set rather loud to achieve those kind of dynamics with such a light touch. I would also imagine that he doesn't use them new fangled active pickups that are all the rage. A smart, betting man would lay long odds on Stanley's rig running very hot almost like a metalhead's but without the distorion and effects and probably has some beautiful old Fender Twin or, better yet, a Roland Jazz Chorus in the mix. All these are guesses but what we do know is that the guy has mad technique in both hands with almost a keyboardsist's touch. Very clean.

It occurs to me as I type that the last paragraph could've been done in list form and entitled "Qualities and Characteristics of the Magnicently Talented Stanley Jordan/Qualities and Characteristics Lacking in the Hack Style of Bobsticks".

Thanks for posting. This brought back some great memories.