Guitar Hero [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero

Dave_G
11-18-2007, 08:18 AM
My kids have had this game for quite a while, we have all 4 titles, and I must admit it's fun as heck to play. And very hard to boot!

My appreciation for professional guitarists has gone way up thanks to this game.

I have been trying to "beat" the game on the medium difficulty but my old beat up hands sometimes just can't keep up.

Anyone else here play this?

Dave

Jim Clark
11-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Video games and old dudes. Not a good combo.

I can't even beat my kids, let alone the computer. It is kinda cool though I've only played a couple of times.

BTW, I tried to get a hold of you a while back. I sent you a Ridgway boot and it got returned to me. You have a different addy than the one I have on file. PM me the new one and I'll send it again. It's sitting right here by the PC just waiting for the right address.

jc

kexodusc
11-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Wife and I playing now...we're going to have to get #3 with the 2nd guitar so we can start dueling...
I play a mean cover of Deep Purple's "Hush"...

SlumpBuster
11-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I think it was Slash that I heard in an interview say that even he can't beat his own kids. He said playing guitar is not like playing Guitar Hero.

ForeverAutumn
11-18-2007, 06:36 PM
My husband and I were just talking about this yesterday! We were saying that we need to get an Xbox just so that we can get this game.

BradH
11-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Video games and old dudes. Not a good combo.

HA! Speak for yourself! Well, okay, my 8-year old son has beaten me 3 times in Advance Wars but it's still 9 to 3, you know what I'm saying?

I'm amazed at how popular Rock Band and Guitar Hero have been. Never would've imagined it.

dean_martin
11-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Guitar Hero is fun, but I'm amazed at the young'uns' playing that Buckethead song Jordan on expert level from GH2. I haven't played GH3 yet. One of the young'uns told me Sonic Youth was on 3.

Did any of you see the South Park Guitar Hero episode? When the kids and their friends are over I have to try hard not to act like Randy Marsh.

3-LockBox
11-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Thankfully, my kid has had no interest in this game. To me, its like playing a Tony Hawk skateboarding game...why?

bobsticks
11-19-2007, 03:51 PM
...He said playing guitar is not like playing Guitar Hero.

True dat. I have found that the right hand triggering is haphazard at best. Still fun though.

PeruvianSkies
11-19-2007, 04:07 PM
I think it was Slash that I heard in an interview say that even he can't beat his own kids. He said playing guitar is not like playing Guitar Hero.

Well, that could be highly related to the fact that playing guitar in real life is a musical skill whereas pushing buttons on a fake guitar to a video game is a motor-skill talent. They do not relate to one another, if you were the worlds best Guitar Hero player and never actually played a real guitar, you couldn't just pick one up and be awesome. The same goes both ways. Similarly I wouldn't be a sniper just because I am good with a sniper rifle in a video game. These two worlds (no matter how realistic they make them) do not crossover.

Troy
11-19-2007, 04:18 PM
I'd like to try it. Someday I'll have to pick it up, but hate the idea of having to buy the little guitar doodad too.

I guess I'll just continue to slaughter the other gangs with Grand theft Auto.

bobsticks
11-19-2007, 05:45 PM

It's all about the Apache.

topspeed
11-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Man, I LOVE this game! I play with my two kids on our PS2, GH Rock's the '80's being my fave. I'm fairly competent on "hard," but "expert" baffles me...for now :devil:.

I've got a friend that is a pretty accomplished guitarist and he thinks GH may spawn a new gen of guitar players. While the fingering isn't exact, he says the basics are definitely there and it could bring a lot of new musicians into the fold. I'm a drummer (and few would say drummer's are musicians unless your name is Peart or Rich), so I'll have to take his word for it.

Any way you slice it, it's big fun. Heck, there are local bars that have GH throwdowns now. Hey, it beats hearing some slobbering, slurring drunkard murder "Desperado" again.

BradH
11-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Well, that could be highly related to the fact that playing guitar in real life is a musical skill whereas pushing buttons on a fake guitar to a video game is a motor-skill talent.

The way I see it, playing a guitar also takes motor-skill, it's just a lot more complex. The main thing is Guitar Hero and a real guitar both require a sense of rhythm and that's the best place to start learning. I've heard plenty of people learning to play the guitar who had enough motor-skills to hit the right chords but put them in the wrong place. Maybe someone who learned rhythm by playing Guitar Hero will have an easier time learning the real thing. I lucked out because I started out on the drums and never had to think about it when I moved over to the bass. It took years before I realized how much of an advantage that was.

3-LockBox
11-19-2007, 10:15 PM
I'd like to try it. Someday I'll have to pick it up, but hate the idea of having to buy the little guitar doodad too.

OK...what's the song list doo-dad thingy?

PeruvianSkies
11-19-2007, 10:16 PM
The way I see it, playing a guitar also takes motor-skill, it's just a lot more complex. The main thing is Guitar Hero and a real guitar both require a sense of rhythm and that's the best place to start learning. I've heard plenty of people learning to play the guitar who had enough motor-skills to hit the right chords but put them in the wrong place. Maybe someone who learned rhythm by playing Guitar Hero will have an easier time learning the real thing. I lucked out because I started out on the drums and never had to think about it when I moved over to the bass. It took years before I realized how much of an advantage that was.

Yeah I can see your point there, unlike most things though you can't really 'teach' rhythm, you either have it or you don't. It can be built upon to some degree, but you need natural rhythm in the first place, which is why not everyone could be a drummer. A few years ago I started to mess around on drums a bit just to sharpen my rhythmic skills for guitar and I can easily say that by messing around on drums it has helped developed my skills for playing intricate rhythm patterns.

ForeverAutumn
11-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Hey, it beats hearing some slobbering, slurring drunkard murder "Desperado" again.

OMG! I am LMAO right now. I have to tell this story even though its not Guitar Hero related, nor will it be as funny in written form versus me telling you face to face, but here it is...

About a dozen years ago, my family decided to go to a karaoke bar. Don't ask me why, I couldn't tell you. It seemed like a fun idea at the time. Anyway, we're in this bar and we're drinking and singing and having a good time. There's a few people in there who you can tell are regulars and most of them are pretty good. Well...they call up this guy who I'm gonna call Bill. And everyone in the bar, staff included, get all excited. "oooh, Bill's gonna sing!". There's a real buzz in the bar. We're getting all excited too thinking that we're in for a real treat...Bill's gonna be really good!

Well, Bill gets on stage all full of confidence. And we're all leaning forward in anticipation. The music starts for Desperado. And Bill starts to sing.

If someone had stood on stage torturing cats in heat, rubbing metal pieces together, and scratching their nails down a blackboard, all at the same time...it would have been a more pleasant sound than Bill singing. I can't even begin to describe how badly Bill sucked. Giant Hippo Balls would not do him justice.

Obviously, Bill was the inside joke of the bar. The regulars and staff treated him like he was the best singer that they've ever heard. I don't know if it was as a joke on Bill or pity, or maybe Bill was the kind of guy who just needed some positive reinforcement in his life and they were trying to help the guy build some self-esteem. But I'll tell you that we were sitting right in the front row and it took all of us every ounce of strength that we had not to laugh in Bill's face. We still talk about Bill today and I can't listen to Desperado without thinking of this night.

3-LockBox
11-20-2007, 08:37 AM
If someone had stood on stage torturing cats in heat, rubbing metal pieces together, and scratching their nails down a blackboard, all at the same time.

Wait...isn't that the encore in Robert Fripp's solo show?

Troy
11-20-2007, 12:13 PM
OK...what's the song list doo-dad thingy?

Click on it.

3-LockBox
11-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Click on it.

You have your own internet radio station?

Troy
11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
You have your own internet radio station?

Not specifically, but it can be used as that.

Jim Clark
11-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Not specifically, but it can be used as that.

I'm assuming that you have to listen on your PC for the deal to work, right?

I never listen to anything on the PC which is too bad 'cuz it is kinda cool

jc

Troy
11-20-2007, 04:29 PM
I'm assuming that you have to listen on your PC for the deal to work, right?

I never listen to anything on the PC which is too bad 'cuz it is kinda cool

jc

The way that playlist works is it reads from my iTunes. That list is what I'm playing from my HD.

You can have it make a playlist for you to stream from any of the bazillion members there. I don't do that, cuz the streaming still sounds crappy to me.

I'm not sure how long I'm gonna keep it on here. I think they work better on a static page. As a sig it's a little too big and repetitive, huh?

topspeed
11-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Giant Hippo Balls would not do him justice. I have no idea what that means but it made me laugh. :lol:

Dave_G
11-21-2007, 07:12 AM
One of the hardest songs for me so far is "Message in a Bottle" on Medium.

They need to invent a "Prog" hero so I can play a 45 minute Flower Kings song.

LOL

Dave

Swish
11-21-2007, 12:18 PM
...properly assigned to the frets, if you know what I mean. It's all that color-coded crap and, if I didn't actually play guitar, would be much easier for me. While I only know the leads to some of the songs, the thought of the real notes and real guitar fretboard are ingrained in my brain and I can't separate it from the game.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
11-21-2007, 12:28 PM
I have no idea what that means but it made me laugh. :lol:

When something really, really sucks, it sucks hippo balls.

When something really, really, really sucks, it sucks giant hippo balls.

In this case sucking gargantuas hippo balls might just begin to get close.

PeruvianSkies
11-21-2007, 01:27 PM
...properly assigned to the frets, if you know what I mean. It's all that color-coded crap and, if I didn't actually play guitar, would be much easier for me. While I only know the leads to some of the songs, the thought of the real notes and real guitar fretboard are ingrained in my brain and I can't separate it from the game.

Swish

Exactly, well said!

GMichael
11-21-2007, 02:35 PM
When something really, really sucks, it sucks hippo balls.

When something really, really, really sucks, it sucks giant hippo balls.

In this case sucking gargantuas hippo balls might just begin to get close.

I won't do it, and you can't make me.

bobsticks
11-21-2007, 04:31 PM
...properly assigned to the frets, if you know what I mean. It's all that color-coded crap and, if I didn't actually play guitar, would be much easier. While I only know the leads to some of the songs, the thought of the real notes and real guitar fretboard are ingrained in my brain and I can't separate it from the game.

Swish

All this is true, and avoiding the fact that there's no option for vibrato or legattos, I found the pick hand tracking to be extremely slow. Sweep picking is next to impossible :)

Okay, so we're picking nits. I can see how this would actually be a very fun game for non-players.

Dave_G
11-22-2007, 06:46 AM
It's kind of weird on easy once you play on the harder levels, but overall I think "they" did an excellent job on the games.

Betcha they are making a zillion dollars, too.

Dave