Getting confused [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting confused

fokkku
02-29-2004, 12:55 AM
If anyone can help me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I am in the process of researching with the intent of purchasing in the immediate future a new home audio system. I have waited years for this moment. Growing up I was pretty much an audio fanatic I patched together a pretty good system as a teenager and then I moved on out of my parents home and off into the world of various midnight moves around the globe as a result the stereo was left behind long ago. Now 37 I am fairly ignorant with the technology of today's electronics and their capabilities. With a son turning five in a couple months I think it's about time to revisit my beginnings without concern for "toddler tampering". I currently have a blown Kenwood receiver (due to various items pushed into jacks by a jr "audiofile"...my son) I have a two bose cubes mounted in the ceiling with the bose non powered sub. I also have a JBL PSW 1000 powered sub. My plan is to integrate my SONY 36' Wega into my new system that is situated in a 12x14 theatre room. I also want the receiver to run 2 - 4 exterior speakers. I need suggestions on 7.1 Digital receiver and 4 speakers preferably two floor standing towers (not too big) and two book shelf. I also want to know whether I should use the JBL or the Bose sub or get rid of both and start fresh. I would like to have 6 speakers + Sub. Budget-wise I'm pretty wide open. Thank you for anyone who wants to help.. Steve in Hawaii

Worf101
02-29-2004, 11:31 AM
1. Ask advice for people you trust...

2. Read up on the features you want... online an off.

3. Go to the best home audio places you can and LISTEN to what they have...

4. Be patient don't fall for the first pretty face you see.

5. Ensure your HT room can take what you want to put in it. Better yet tailor the system to the room. The room will have more affect of what you hear than any of the components themselves.

6. Home test everything you can.

7. Then come back and ask specific questions about models and brands and they folks here will hook you up with a million and one suggestions..

Hope this helps... Welcome to our sick little world and try to have fun and pleasure with it.

Da Worfster... :o

fokkku
02-29-2004, 10:55 PM
1. Ask advice for people you trust...

2. Read up on the features you want... online an off.

3. Go to the best home audio places you can and LISTEN to what they have...

4. Be patient don't fall for the first pretty face you see.

5. Ensure your HT room can take what you want to put in it. Better yet tailor the system to the room. The room will have more affect of what you hear than any of the components themselves.

6. Home test everything you can.

7. Then come back and ask specific questions about models and brands and they folks here will hook you up with a million and one suggestions..

Hope this helps... Welcome to our sick little world and try to have fun and pleasure with it.

Da Worfster... :o

Thank you for the great suggestions. Unfortunately this island (maui) is a little deficient in outlets to demo any quality systems. The only place that I can find specializes in NAD. I am afraid that if I walk in there I'll fall for the semi-pretty face and walk out, possibly wishing I had'nt walked in. Although I have not heard anything negative about NAD, I don't particularily care for the esthetics of the product. Possible I could ask advice about the yamaha RXV2400? The SONY STR DA 5000ES the Harmon Kardon avr 7300 and does Denon have a new receiver coming out in March? Also any advice on the Jamo D 830 speakers? Thank you and I feel at home on this site. Steve

aimen
03-01-2004, 12:59 AM
regarding exterior speakers

dunno abt others but
yammy rxv1400 A or B speakers slection option, u can connect ur exterior speakers on B and can run through it , it also has an option for rear surround and presence speakers selection so if u r not usuing presence spekers than u can connect it to another two exterior speakers
same goes for yammy rxv2400 i guess

for speakers look for
paradigm , B&W, Polk , Klipshe , Axioms , Energy , Def Tech , NHT , Infinity , magnapans , etc etc
list never ends u have to short it up urself

regards

Woochifer
03-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Kind of in a tough spot, I just looked up Yamaha's dealer locator and the only dealer in the 50th state is in Honolulu. (I vacationed in Kauai a couple of years ago and wondered how the locals on that island shopped for electronics) NAD is a very reputable brand, and should work fine. In general, they're more stripped to the basics as far as features go, but they're well built and soundwise they have enough umph to drive a lot of the more demanding speakers out there. I don't know if their receivers are geared for multiroom functionlity, so you might want to check on that.

The Yamaha RX-V2400 does fit the bill for what you're trying to accomplish in that it has assignable multiroom amplification, and its YPAO acoustic room calibration feature is unique among receivers in its price class (at least until the $1,200 Denon AVR-3805 arrives next month).

As far as speakers go, it's been several years since I last listened to Jamos. I thought they were fine as far as outdoor and small decor friendly speakers went, but I'm not familiar at all with their other offerings. Looking up B&W's website, it looks like Pacific Audio's the authorized dealer in Maui. Might be a good idea to look them up and see what they can demo for you.