What are these? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What are these?

Quelkin
11-16-2007, 01:37 AM
Hello to all...registered for some time, but never posted. Just wondering about the identity of these speakers purchased for twenty bucks at a neighbor's moving sale.
No brand name...white van style ripoff? Build quality ok, and they don't sound bad. I thought a ripoff would carry a phony brand name like Vanderstein, or Bong & Olufson:

(Why didn't they open already? Sorry.)

dingus
11-16-2007, 02:04 AM
the price per single speaker isnt on the label so thats a plus ...

hard to say what they are, could be white van or not. can you pop out a driver and see if there are any identifiable markings on the back of it? in any case, its pretty hard to go wrong for $20.

drseid
11-16-2007, 02:10 AM
Hello to all...registered for some time, but never posted. Just wondering about the identity of these speakers purchased for twenty bucks at a neighbor's moving sale.
No brand name...white van style ripoff? Build quality ok, and they don't sound bad. I thought a ripoff would carry a phony brand name like Vanderstein, or Bong & Olufson:

(Why didn't they open already? Sorry.)

The binding posts in the back do not look like a white van "type." I could be wrong, but I don't think these are white van speakers... Now what brand *are* they? No clue there... They look like they could be some of the cheapy Chinese speakers sold online. That said, cheap does not mean bad. If you like the sound, maybe you got a deal.

---Dave

JohnMichael
11-16-2007, 08:24 AM
What I noticed is the crossover frequency of 6,500 hz. They must be running the woofers full range and using a simple crossover to an inexpensive tweeter. A quality tweeter could operate at lower frequencies, blend better with the woofers and eliminate the beaming of the woofers at higher frequencies.

bobsticks
11-16-2007, 04:13 PM
The DL 6.2 is the model number of the actual driver itself, manufactured by Electro-Voice. EV is known better for their production of low-end PA gear but they have been around quite a while. Despite their origins I would imagine they are still better than the "white van" offerings.

bfalls
11-18-2007, 06:32 AM
These look like white van Dynalab speakers. My Friend bought a pair of 2.8s from a guy in a parking lot for $400. They're all show and no go. I believe they claim a retail price $1500. The xover frequency should be a giveaway. A 2-way usually crosses over around the 2200 - 3000 range to the tweeter. I found the 2.8s on ebay and they xover at 4000Hz, the cabinets also look similar, so these appear to be from the same manufacturer. For $20 you didn't do too bad. Just don't expect too much from them and definitely don't try too much power.