Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz...help! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buzzzzzzzzzzzzz...help!

mgudites
02-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Hey everyone--first time poster so please forgive me if I'm putting this in the wrong forum.

I'm having a problem with a buzzing sound coming out of my speakers.

Here is the chain that my signal is going through:

Marantz 2270 Receiver (acting as a preamp) --> Yamaha EQ-70 Equalizer --> Antique Sound Lab Wave Amplifiers --> B&W DM602S2 Speakers. I've got my Sony DVP-NS755V SACD/DVD Player plugged into the Aux RCA ports on the Marantz. Everything is connected together using Van Den Hul interconnects. I'm also using an Adcom AC enhancer.

This setup sounds really good, and up to this point, there is no buzzing. Now, my Sony SACD Player doubles as both a CD and DVD player. My goal is to be able to use this setup so I can listen to music and DVD-audio fpr when I'm watching a DVD. There inlies the problem. As soon as I plug my Sony Television's Component Video inputs into the Sony DVP-NS755V's Component Video outputs, I start hearing a loud buzzing sound out of the speakers. It doesn't matter if all three Component cables are plugged in, or just one...it can be any of the three plugged in, and it makes the buzzing sound. This is just baffling me because it's a video signal and has nothing to do with the audio anyway! The television doesn't even have to be on...if my TV is plugged into the DVD player, I get buzzing.

I have tried a few things to get rid of it with no luck...I tried eliminating the EQ, different interconnects, plugging the television into the same power strip as the stereo, into a whole different wall-outlet altogether, etc etc. NOTHING WORKS!!!

Anyone have some idea of what's happening and how I can fix it? I'd really appreciate it!

kelsci
02-29-2004, 01:57 AM
Mgudites; I think that you are getting video noise in your audio system when you make the component video connections. I read your post over a few times. I do not know whether your tv is electricrically agreeing with the other components or vica-versa in some crazy way. The first thing I would do is to make your full hook-up to get the buzzing. I would then pull the TV plug out of the socket you are using. If the buzzing stops, you at least now know that the TV is part of the chain causing the problem relative to the component connections. The second thing I might try is the use of a S-VHS cable between the TV and the player instead of the component connection. See if you still get a buzz. It is possible that some piece of equipment is too close to each other. Does the 2270 work on its own built in amplifiers. If so, you might want to hook up a pair of speakers to the back of the Marantz and see if you hear any buzzing. That would eliminate the power amps that you are using with the Marantz as any cause of this. Offhand I cannot think of any other fix or whether any other fix exists.

mgudites
02-29-2004, 04:20 AM
Mgudites; I think that you are getting video noise in your audio system when you make the component video connections. I read your post over a few times. I do not know whether your tv is electricrically agreeing with the other components or vica-versa in some crazy way. The first thing I would do is to make your full hook-up to get the buzzing. I would then pull the TV plug out of the socket you are using. If the buzzing stops, you at least now know that the TV is part of the chain causing the problem relative to the component connections. The second thing I might try is the use of a S-VHS cable between the TV and the player instead of the component connection. See if you still get a buzz. It is possible that some piece of equipment is too close to each other. Does the 2270 work on its own built in amplifiers. If so, you might want to hook up a pair of speakers to the back of the Marantz and see if you hear any buzzing. That would eliminate the power amps that you are using with the Marantz as any cause of this. Offhand I cannot think of any other fix or whether any other fix exists.Thanks for the quick reply!

Even if I unplug the television from the wall-power, the noise is still there. It's really weird.

Per your suggestion, I tried using an S-Video cable, as well as a standard RCA cable for the video connection. The buzzing didn't go away with any of them.

The 2270 has it's own internal amplifiers, but I'm not using it that way. The tube amps act as the power amps, and the Marantz is kind of just a preamp...I think I'm saying that right, at least. I could try hooking up some speakers directly to the Marantz, though. I'll try it!

jeskibuff
02-29-2004, 07:16 AM
Even if I unplug the television from the wall-power, the noise is still there.Initially, it sounded like a ground-loop problem and I would've suggested trying an adapter on the TV plug to go from 3 prongs to 2 prongs (eliminating the ground connector).
But....if you get the buzzing by just plugging the cables into a TV not even plugged in to the wall socket, check out the other connections going into the TV. Disconnect any antenna coax coming from an external antenna, satellite or cable box. If you get no hum with just the one connection (video cable from DVD to TV), then start reconnecting each of the cables, starting with the power cord.

If you get hum with just the DVD player connected, call an exorcist! :D

mgudites
02-29-2004, 08:40 AM
Initially, it sounded like a ground-loop problem and I would've suggested trying an adapter on the TV plug to go from 3 prongs to 2 prongs (eliminating the ground connector).
But....if you get the buzzing by just plugging the cables into a TV not even plugged in to the wall socket, check out the other connections going into the TV. Disconnect any antenna coax coming from an external antenna, satellite or cable box. If you get no hum with just the one connection (video cable from DVD to TV), then start reconnecting each of the cables, starting with the power cord.

If you get hum with just the DVD player connected, call an exorcist! :DThat's it--it's the coax going into the televison!! As soon as I unplugged the coax cable, the noise went away.

So, how do I fix this? *Can* I fix this??

jeskibuff
02-29-2004, 09:15 AM
That's it--it's the coax going into the televison!! As soon as I unplugged the coax cable, the noise went away.
So, how do I fix this?Well, where is that coax coming from? An outdoor antenna? Your cable box? A satellite receiver? An HDTV receiver? If from a receiver, try first unplugging it. If that eliminates the hum, try plugging it into a different outlet (even via an extension cord from another room). If that fails, try reversing the polarity of the prongs (if not a 3-pronged plug) or try using a 3-to-2-prong adapter. At least you're honing in on the problem now.

mgudites
02-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Well, where is that coax coming from? An outdoor antenna? Your cable box? A satellite receiver? An HDTV receiver? If from a receiver, try first unplugging it. If that eliminates the hum, try plugging it into a different outlet (even via an extension cord from another room). If that fails, try reversing the polarity of the prongs (if not a 3-pronged plug) or try using a 3-to-2-prong adapter. At least you're honing in on the problem now.No cable box -- it's coming straight from the wall, into the television.

The television has a 2-pronged plug. Doesn't matter if I plug it into a different outlet. Reversing the polarity doesn't help either.

jeskibuff
02-29-2004, 10:24 AM
No cable box -- it's coming straight from the wall, into the television.Well, I'll assume that it's not an outdoor antenna, but a line provided by your cable company. If that's so, call your cable company and tell them that you have a grounding problem. Something else you could do is try to ground the connection yourself. You could attach a wire to a coax splitter,
http://www.radioshack.com/images/ProductCatalog/ProductImage/15/15-1234.jpg
then attach the other end of the wire to a good ground point. Of course, you'll need an additional short length of coax to go from the splitter to your TV. It would be good beforehand to see if this would work by first securing a wire to a good ground point, then pressing the other end firmly to the metal end of the coax that's attached to the TV input. If the hum goes away, then pick up the splitter at a local Wal-Mart or Radio Shack to make the connection secure (and eliminate the need for someone to constantly hold the wire firmly against the connector :D).