Cheap (but decent) integrated amp suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap (but decent) integrated amp suggestions

musicoverall
11-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Need help for a friend. He needs an inexpensive integrated with the following features:

At least 50 watts of power
MM phono stage
Two tape loops for CD recorder and tape deck
Binding posts that accept spade lugs

Any suggestions? The good news is that it doesn't have to sound great. :) But it shouldn't sound like crap to the average non-audiophile, either.

Help much appreciated!

Feanor
11-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Need help for a friend. He needs an inexpensive integrated with the following features:

At least 50 watts of power
MM phono stage
Two tape loops for CD recorder and tape deck
Binding posts that accept spade lugs

Any suggestions? The good news is that it doesn't have to sound great. :) But it shouldn't sound like crap to the average non-audiophile, either.

Help much appreciated!

The Onkyo A-9555, like JohnMichael just got ...
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=A-9555&p=i&class=Amplifier

JohnMichael
11-15-2007, 01:04 PM
The Onkyo A-9555, like JohnMichael just got ...
http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=A-9555&p=i&class=Amplifier

Yes for only $499 from J&R, www.jr.com, and also available from BH Photo and Video. Only two days old but sounding great. Very nicley made amp and I agree with all the positive reviews I have read. I have not tried the mm phono stage since I have a low output mc cartridge mounted in the tonearm. Nice controls and good looks with better sound then my first generation Cambridge Audio 640A.

musicoverall
11-16-2007, 04:56 AM
Yes for only $499 from J&R, www.jr.com, and also available from BH Photo and Video. Only two days old but sounding great. Very nicley made amp and I agree with all the positive reviews I have read. I have not tried the mm phono stage since I have a low output mc cartridge mounted in the tonearm. Nice controls and good looks with better sound then my first generation Cambridge Audio 640A.

...it appears to have only one tape loop and it's a little more money than my friend wants to spend. Do you think the TX-8522 would be a suitable substitute? It's only $220 from J and R. Think I'll go see if there are any reviews here on AR.

JohnMichael
11-16-2007, 08:03 AM
...it appears to have only one tape loop and it's a little more money than my friend wants to spend. Do you think the TX-8522 would be a suitable substitute? It's only $220 from J and R. Think I'll go see if there are any reviews here on AR.

There are two loops one marked Tape and the other MD. So far this sounds like the type of amp where you could upgrade source and speakers seveal levels and the amp would still satisfy.

I think NAD just brought out a new entry level int. amp.

JohnMichael
11-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Correction, the Onkyo A 9555 binding posts do not accept spades. Bare wire and bananas only.