Time to Reorganize? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time to Reorganize?

noddin0ff
11-15-2007, 04:47 AM
I think its time to re-consider the composition of the forums again. There are just to many micro-forums and I don’t think it’s helping the community here. I propose

1) Merge General Audio and News & Rumors to General Audio & News
2) Make Portable Audio = Portable Audio & Headphones
3) Make HT = Home Theater Audio
4) Make HDTV/V = Home Theater Video
5) Merge Digital and Computer = Digital Media, Players and Computer Audio
(hopefully CDP & DVDP will fall here too)
6) Change name of Tweaks to = Do it Yourself, Tweaks and Mods
7) Merge Analog and Vintage = I agree they are separate issues but I think it’s largely the same community…
8) Merge a bunch of stuff related to power = Amps, Receivers, Cables

Then, I think it’s time to re-order the links.

1) General
2) HT Audio
3) HT Video
4) Portable
5) Digital (only because I think there’s a lot of CDP and DVDP questions, not because of the computer side)
6) Analog
7) Amps, Receivers, Cables
8) RR
9) FF
10) Off Topic (Move it up into the main list)

Then below keep
1) Audio Lab
2) Feedback
3) Market
4) Car

Also, I find it aggravating that you get a different arrangement of forums depending on whether you link to

http://forums.audioreview.com/

or

http://forums.audioreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

I find the last link to be unfriendly and wish it were gone.

Discuss (and give me a green chicklet as you pass through just for kicks).

basite
11-15-2007, 08:30 AM
where does the speaker section go?

please don't say it's in H/T audio???

So we stereo dudes can't have speakers anymore? :sad:

GMichael
11-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Speakers and subwoofers should have their own category.

noddin0ff
11-15-2007, 09:02 AM
where does the speaker section go?

please don't say it's in H/T audio???

So we stereo dudes can't have speakers anymore? :sad:

Oooops! Forgot. I'd put them at 4

4) Speakers
5) Portable

kexodusc
11-15-2007, 09:14 AM
I think noddin0ff's suggestion (as amended in post #4) is a pretty darn good one.
I'd support it...
Motion to approve the restructuring - is there a seconder? All those in favor?

GMichael
11-15-2007, 09:23 AM
I second it (as long as subwoofers are in there somewhere)

Feanor
11-15-2007, 09:24 AM
I think noddin0ff's suggestion (as amended in post #4) is a pretty darn good one.
I'd support it...
Motion to approve the restructuring - is there a seconder? All those in favor?

I prefer to see Cables with Tweaks than with Amplifiers.

Feanor
11-15-2007, 09:25 AM
I second it (as long as subwoofers are in there somewhere)

Or am I wrong?

L.J.
11-15-2007, 09:38 AM
How 'bout a HD section?

GMichael
11-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Or am I wrong?

You are right. But most sites have the link called speakers & subwoofers. I wouldn't want us to be too different. A sub is a specialty speaker and a very popular topic.

Groundbeef
11-15-2007, 10:17 AM
You are right. But most sites have the link called speakers & subwoofers. I wouldn't want us to be too different. A sub is a specialty speaker and a very popular topic.

I second the inclusion of a "Speaker" section. Actually 2 speaker sections.

1. A "Bose" speaker section, so those with REAL speakers can congregate and mock those that don't have Bose.

2. A "General Speaker" section for the rest of us with a crappy setup, only wishing we could also be in the "Bose" section.:nonod:

noddin0ff
11-15-2007, 10:36 AM
I prefer to see Cables with Tweaks than with Amplifiers.

My thinking is that the discussions are different with Cables and Tweaks. Cables tend to go toward esoterica (signal purity) while tweaks are more can do, hand on things (make a box 2 cubits by 1 cubit).

Seems to me that people way into Amps tend to also be way into cables...and into debating them.

How 'bout a HD section?
Isn't HD just a form of HT Video? In time it will be the standard. I don't know that we need a new forum for each new tech...

my 2 cents

L.J.
11-15-2007, 11:39 AM
Isn't HD just a form of HT Video? In time it will be the standard. I don't know that we need a new forum for each new tech...

my 2 cents

I was refering to all forms of HD including hardware, software and so on. Seems like the News & Rumor forum has become the HD forum since Bluray & HDDVD are the main topics and is usually discussed or should I say debated there. But I guess it is all HT related so no biggie.

Guess this would be a bad time to bring up the "LJ is King" Forum I've been thinking about.

Mr Peabody
11-15-2007, 08:42 PM
"General" and "News & Rumors" are usually high traffic, especially General, I think they should stay separate. Combining some of the others makes sense. I was shocked last I posted in "Digital" at how few threads were there. If anything do away with General so the threads will go under the proper heading. I think some times people post their question where the traffic is opposed to where is should be. I love the "New Post" link so you can easily browse without going into each one. I still go into each one to see if there was anything missed occasionally.

All hale king LJ!! May I be a knight? I can protect your harem, yeah...... that's the ticket.

PeruvianSkies
11-15-2007, 09:01 PM
I think these are all great ideas, however who is going to listen? We can talk to each other about these things until we are blue in the fingers, but that doesn't change a thing and just like our other suggestions about the site...they are not heard, let alone implemented.

noddin0ff
11-16-2007, 07:06 AM
I think these are all great ideas, however who is going to listen? We can talk to each other about these things until we are blue in the fingers, but that doesn't change a thing and just like our other suggestions about the site...they are not heard, let alone implemented.

Doom, doom, doom, doom and gloom.

Patience...

atomicAdam
06-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey guys/gals -

A bit or restructuring maybe possible - I'll look into it.

Let me know how people feel about the noddin0ff's suggestion.

-adam

audio_dude
06-24-2008, 09:14 PM
I like it. But I agree with Mr. Peabody in thinking that General Audio and News & rumours should remain separate.

And there should be something done about the general audio section. Seems a lot of people are simply asking for general advice on their system. Maybe we could start a section for that? like "System Recommendations" or something like that. And near the top so people see it.

Rich-n-Texas
06-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Hey guys/gals -

A bit or restructuring maybe possible - I'll look into it.

Let me know how people feel about the noddin0ff's suggestion.

-adam
As has been mentioned many times Adam, a New Member Introduction forum would be very helpful. I've seen plenty of messages from new people that start off with: "Well, I didn't see a place to introduce myself...". Sometimes I think that's a roadblock that people aren't wanting or willing to get past.

Some more of my $.02.

bobsticks
06-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Also, I find it aggravating that you get a different arrangement of forums depending on whether you link to

http://forums.audioreview.com/

or

http://forums.audioreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

I find the last link to be unfriendly and wish it were gone.

Discuss (and give me a green chicklet as you pass through just for kicks).

OMG!! Who knew?! Noddy that's whooo...

I've had that infernal second link in "My Favorites" for three years now. Everyday at some point or another I have been reduced to screaming, violent fits by the way that damn thing handles posting options vis a vis the damn flash ads.

Much thanks and you absolutely deserve some Green Wiki Lovin'.

Mr Peabody
06-27-2008, 08:13 PM
Which of those links are on the emails we receive from AR?