What movie makes you cry? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What movie makes you cry?

ForeverAutumn
11-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Alright men, let's be honest. You're among friends here. What movie brings a tear to your eye?

Is it Field of Dreams when Ray Kinsella meets his Dad?
Is it Rudy when he's carried off the field by his teammates?
Is it something a little more cliche like Brian's Song?
Or maybe it's more of a chick flick like Fried Green Tomatoes?

C'mon, I know you've all got big hearts and there must be some movie that pulls at those big ol' heartstrings. Let's hear your secrets.

kexodusc
11-14-2007, 12:08 PM
The Last Unicorn - Dunno if it's the music or what, but the eyes get a bit watery...

GMichael
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Serenity when River tells her brother that he's always taken care of her. Now it's her turn.

L.J.
11-14-2007, 12:43 PM
Can't remember the last sad movie I watched. I think it was Pursuit of Happyness. The subway bathroom scene was pretty sad.

Luvin Da Blues
11-14-2007, 12:44 PM
"What Dreams May Come" with Robin Williams. Definitely has it's tear jerking moments.

jim goulding
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
The English Patient- The cynical count found love he never thought he would find and couldn't save her life.

Babel- The young deaf mute who was so desperate to be mainstream and enjoy love and the fruits of life that seemed to her to be out of reach and what a performance!

Sophie's Choice discussed elsewhere.

PeruvianSkies
11-14-2007, 03:56 PM
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=23169

Groundbeef
11-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm a sucker for the "Inspirational" film.

We are Marshall

Men of Honor (When Brashier gets re-instated)

Miracle (On Ice)

Seabiscuit

There are others, but these would be on the top of my list.

Groundbeef
11-14-2007, 04:12 PM
The Last Unicorn - Dunno if it's the music or what, but the eyes get a bit watery...

I've not seen this one. Is it a documentary? That would be sad to see a species wiped out.:nonod:

JohnMichael
11-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Brokeback Mountain had me crying so hard that when my sister and mother saw me walk out of the theater they walked several paces ahead of me. They went to see a different movie so they had no idea why I was so upset. Of course many parts hit home for me.

Fried Green Tomatoes was another that anytime I watch it the water works start.

What Dreams May Come almost caused me to need antidepressants.

Philidelphia was another film that a friend was sorry he went to the theater with me. His coat did dry out. Of course since he was straight he was not pleased to have a man about twice his size sobbing on his shoulder. Small towns you get a rep.

I love a good tearjerker.

Groundbeef
11-14-2007, 04:31 PM
Brokeback Mountain had me crying so hard that when my sister and mother saw me walk out of the theater they walked several paces ahead of me. They went to see a different movie so they had no idea why I was so upset. Of course many parts hit home for me.

Fried Green Tomatoes was another that anytime I watch it the water works start.

What Dreams May Come almost caused me to need antidepressants.

Philidelphia was another film that a friend was sorry he went to the theater with me. His coat did dry out. Of course since he was straight he was not pleased to have a man about twice his size sobbing on his shoulder. Small towns you get a rep.

I love a good tearjerker.

I don't think you have to be gay to cry about Phiidelphia. Just the discrimination, and indginities suffered are enough to make most decent people choke up.

Similar to Men Of Honor. I'm not black, but the silent suffering of Carl Brashier was enough to make me weep. How other people can lead such bigoted lives is beyond me.

JohnMichael
11-14-2007, 05:12 PM
I don't think you have to be gay to cry about Phiidelphia. Just the discrimination, and indginities suffered are enough to make most decent people choke up.

He felt the same way I did he just wished for a less public showing of my emotions.

PeruvianSkies
11-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Similar to Men Of Honor. I'm not black, but the silent suffering of Carl Brashier was enough to make me weep. How other people can lead such bigoted lives is beyond me.

True, in fact the saddest part of the film is when the Neil Young song is playing at the end and the old home movies are playing and it's a reflection on ones life as people watch and remember what that life stood for, regardless of what that was exactly.

PeruvianSkies
11-14-2007, 05:34 PM
MY DOG SKIP - anyone who has ever owned a pet can relate to this one.
SOPHIE'S CHOICE - no one expected the ending to be THAT tragic.
SICKO - speechlessly sad.
SCHINDLER'S LIST - unforgettable.
THE WORLD AT WAR - intense documentary that will leave you crushed.
CINEMA PARADISO - a beautiful scene that demonstrates the power of the film medium.
GALLIPOLI - underseen Mel Gibson film from Awww-stralllia.
AWAKENINGS - forgotten film with Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro
THE PERFECT STORM - drowning sucks.
THE ELEPHANT MAN - Barber's Adagio for Strings is sad by itself.
AMERICAN HISTORY X - racism also sucks.

bobsticks
11-14-2007, 07:05 PM
The laundromat scene in American Psycho where the little Chinese lady tries to wash the Cerruti sheets gets me every time...'No bleachy, no bleachy!!"

O.K. maybe not.

As recently as a few years ago I was involved in alot of Community Outreach and Youth programs but eventually that became overwhelming. Frankly, I don't think it's much of a reach to say that my movie purchasing habits are affected to this day from those times. A scan over my collection shows that I tend to gravitate away from many seriously maudlin affairs although I have a few classics. Schindler's List is, of course, too much for words and the first time I watched Casablanca that got me pretty good as well. Movies about racism and oppression just piss me off more than making me sad.

I tend to be more moved by solid literature-- the Russians Chekov and Dostoyevsky, maybe Jane Austen, and who can forget this old chestnut...

Most of the big shore places were closed now and there were hardly any lights except the shadowy, moving glow of a ferryboat across the Sound. And as the moon rose higher the inessential houses began to melt away until gradually I became aware of the old island here that flowered once for Dutch sailors' eyes - a fresh, green breast of the new world. Its vanished trees, the trees that had made way for Gatsby's house, had once pandered in whispers to the last and greatest of all human dreams; for a transitory enchanted moment man must have held his breath in the presence of this continent, compelled into an aesthetic contemplation he neither understood nor desired, face to face for the last time in history with something commensurate to his capacity for wonder.
And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it. He did not know that it was already behind him, somewhere back in that vast obscurity beyond the city, where the dark fields of the republic rolled on under the night.

Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that's no matter - tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms further... And one fine morning -

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

sniffle

RoyY51
11-14-2007, 07:28 PM
... is Armageddon. I've posted this before, but it still remains true...this (basically "B") movie tugs at my heartstrings like no other. It's probably due to the disfunctional relationship that I have with my own daughter, but it never fails fails to bring out my inner Sally. I guess it's a kind of therapy for me.

Mr Peabody
11-14-2007, 07:55 PM
The first time I saw My Girl when the girl runs down the stairs and into the funeral, up to her dead friend laying there and breaks down, about had me in more tears than my shirt sleeve could hide. This is one of the saddest movie scenes ever for me.

Recently, Bridge To Tarabifia.

It's been a long time but I bet Steal Magnolia. Another one I'm not sure about but could be a possibility is that James Garner movie where he stays in the nursing home to be with his wife and he reads to her each day and at the end they die together.

Worf101
11-15-2007, 05:43 AM
I asked this very same question about 7 years ago when I first joined. Lot's of changes and new faces since then, but all in all a great question. My list hasn't really changed much.

1. "It's a Wonderful Life" - Gawd I ball like baby child at the end of it every single year.

2. "Glory" - The campfire/church meeting scene is so powerfull. How men (and women) can so bravely face 'certain death" with a prayer and a song on their lips. My god.

3. "My Life" - Little seen and under-appreciated film in which Michael Keaton plays a new dad who finds out he's terminal with cancer. He deftly weaves his way through all the stages, denial, anger etc... It was a killer.

4. "Carrie" - As an "outsider" in High School, the scene at the prom kills me before she starts killing them.

5. "They Were Expendable" - Again men facing capture and certain death, who are then forced to leave comrades behind. The scene of the last transport flying over doomed men walking into the sunset on the beach... mercy.

6. "Judgement at Nuremburg" - The screaming injustice of it all. The mind bending callousness of man towards his fellow man. Deals done with the Devil himself just to spite Stalin.

7. "In Which We Serve" - His ship gone, more than half his crew dead, Noel Coward shakes the hand of every enlisted man left alive. He then turns to his remaining officers and is too overcome to say a word, he merely walks away.

8. "When Trupets Fade" - Forget "Saving Private Ryan", THIS film will have you tearing your hair out by the root and the unfairness and stupidity of it all. Unlike the Battle of the Bulge, the Battle for the Hurtgen Forest was NOT our finest hour.

9. "A NIght to Remember" - Forget "Titanic", this version of that famous sinking is superior in every respect. In glorious black and white.

10 "Edward Scissorhands" - I know where the real monsters are, they live in the suburbs and the malls and where small minded people seek to impose their wills on others.

Da Worfster

GMichael
11-15-2007, 06:55 AM
OK, I'll play for real.

The Notebook
Legands of the Fall
The Green Mile
West Side Story

Olivertmc
11-15-2007, 08:15 AM
The scene in Titantic when the ship is going down and the family is just laying in bed - waiting - gets me every time. I know many people consider Titanic to be melodramatic crap, but I just can't get through that scene without welling up.

Also, ET - first movie that made me cry.

SlumpBuster
11-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Playing for real, one of the saddest movies in history, is also a recent movie:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Pan%27s_Labyrinth.jpg

If you haven't seen this movie, either because it slipped under your radar or because it is in Spanish, you need to do yourelf a favor and rent it. It will not disappoint.

It will wreck you. Also, I give you fair warning: It is very adult and very intense and very deserving of it "R" rating. I warn because many reviewers have used the word "fairytale" in conjunction with this film. It is only a fairytale in the way Dwight Schrute tells fairytales about tailors cutting off children's thumbs.

It comes out on Blu-Ray the day after Christmas (not too smart IMO), and would be worth waiting to see in HD. So add it to your netflix queues.
http://www.blu-ray.com/images/movies/covers/611_medium.jpg

PeruvianSkies
11-15-2007, 11:38 AM
The scene in Titantic when the ship is going down and the family is just laying in bed - waiting - gets me every time. I know many people consider Titanic to be melodramatic crap, but I just can't get through that scene without welling up.

Also, ET - first movie that made me cry.

There is nothing wrong with crying during a film, that's how effective films work, they play on the human emotions and in the case of TITANIC, the scene you are referring to is sweet as this old couple realize the inevitable and rather than rush around with their failing bodies and try and survive they choose to go a more peaceful route and it's evident in their love for one another that they would rather die together in that way rather than in a way that they are not certain of, at least this way they go out together, hand in hand. I found the scene with the musicians not wanting to stop playing to be quite moving as well, it relates well to anyone who is a musician or loves music because we understand the passion that we have and we would rather go down with the ship with the beauty of music than with the sounds of screaming.

Olivertmc
11-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Wow PS - talk about insight! At least now I know why it brings on the waterworks.

I think Worf brought up "My Life." I've never seen it, but not for lack of trying. My wife saw it while in college and keeps telling me that it is the saddest movie she's ever seen and that I MUST see it. However, everytime I rent it and put it on, she starts bawling before the opening credits and makes me shut it off. It must be a doozy!

- Olivertmc

JohnMichael
11-15-2007, 02:04 PM
4. "Carrie" - As an "outsider" in High School, the scene at the prom kills me before she starts killing them.

Da Worfster

I can relate. Just when she begins to feel like she is part of the crowd they do something so hurtful. As an outsider I rooted for Carrie.

PeruvianSkies
11-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Wow PS - talk about insight! At least now I know why it brings on the waterworks.

I think Worf brought up "My Life." I've never seen it, but not for lack of trying. My wife saw it while in college and keeps telling me that it is the saddest movie she's ever seen and that I MUST see it. However, everytime I rent it and put it on, she starts bawling before the opening credits and makes me shut it off. It must be a doozy!

- Olivertmc

Why thank you, maybe I am good for something now and again on this site.

The premise of MY LIFE is a good one, a sad one, but quite frankly ahead of it's time to some degree, although when it came out it was right around the time that consumer camcorders became more popular and affordable and documenting things became popular because of it, even if it was taping silly things like rain falling down etc etc. So here Michael Keaton's character takes advantage of the technology by being able to speak to his unborn son via video so that his son will at least have this form of his father, in some respects in reminds me of SUPERMAN, when Jor-el gets to see his father in the Fortress of Solitude, what a great moment indeed.

Mr Peabody
11-15-2007, 07:38 PM
OK, I'll play for real.

The Notebook
Legands of the Fall
The Green Mile
West Side Story

The Notebook! Isn't that the James Garner movie I posted about?

jim goulding
11-15-2007, 08:11 PM
The score for Pan's Labyrinth is very effective and very beautiful, too.

Worf101
11-16-2007, 10:06 AM

- Olivertmc
Dayum... the movie was sad but at least I made it through the opening credits. Wow... that's sensitive.

Da Worfster

Olivertmc
11-16-2007, 11:24 AM
It's actually very unlike her - that's why I assume it must be pretty rough.

I thought of one more - The Iron Giant ("Superman . . . .")

Mr Peabody
11-16-2007, 12:42 PM
It's not a movie but I cried this morning as I watched a story on the Today Show (NBC). They showed in Serbia they keep their mental and physically disabled of all ages in these run down buildings and most of them live their lives in a steel crib. They showed one little boy who was tied to the crib in the morning and he was still tied there that afternoon. One guy looked like adult size all scrunched up in one of those cribs, another child who must have had Cerebral Palsy was like frozen and couldn't move. There's little to no therapy. It was unbelieveable that in this modern day anyone could be kept so cruelly. If this sight, and the fact that it is reality, didn't bring you to tears something is wrong. A lot of things I've seen on the news have made me sick, angry, shocked, sad but this is the first one I had to shut off. Other stories I wanted to be sure to get all the details, this I couldn't take all the details.

trollgirl
11-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I cried at the end of "Baran," an Iranian film about romance (one-sided) on a construction site in Tehran.

I wept at the end of "Jacob's Ladder" - I never saw THAT ending coming...

"The Plague Dogs" and "Brazil" are way sad too.

Laz

Luvin Da Blues
11-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Why thank you, maybe I am good for something now and again on this site.

Aw Shucks, some of us around here appreciate your opinions, keep it up :cornut:

jrhymeammo
11-17-2007, 06:44 PM
[quote=bobsticks]The laundromat scene in American Psycho where the little Chinese lady tries to wash the Cerruti sheets gets me every time...'No bleachy, no bleachy!!"
[quote]

LOLOLOLOLOL.
But hey, they are the best. You ever pill cranberry juice?
One of the craziest book I've ever read.

I've ate grapefruits while watching the following movies.

*Thin Red Line
*Grave of the Fireflies.

Also, a Million Dollar Baby. PS, I was extremely high on coke when I watched it. That was crazy!

Mr Peabody
11-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Watch this one:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=213985#post213985

audio amateur
11-18-2007, 06:21 AM
Watch this one:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=213985#post213985

thanks for that

Bernd
11-18-2007, 07:18 AM
Some great movies here. I am not a film buff, but the last movie that had me choking was:

The Life of David Gale

A great story about the imperfect Justice System.

Peace

PeruvianSkies
11-18-2007, 10:03 AM
Some great movies here. I am not a film buff, but the last movie that had me choking was:

The Life of David Gale

A great story about the imperfect Justic System.

Peace

Really?????

s dog
11-18-2007, 11:37 AM
The movies where you think the best looking girl is going to show some T&A and then DON'T.

nightflier
11-18-2007, 04:55 PM
The "zipper scene" (aka the "franks and beans mishap") in Something About Mary.

GMichael
11-19-2007, 10:11 AM
The Notebook! Isn't that the James Garner movie I posted about?

Yeah, that's the one.

jim goulding
12-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Seen this movie several times over the years and just tonite on cable. It didn't make me cry but it is surely one of the saddest things . . Last Tango in Paris.

3-LockBox
12-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Pay It Forward and A.I. - must be something about that Osmet kid, but these movies were the last time I teared up at the end of a movie.

Mr Peabody
03-28-2009, 07:39 AM
I just caught this movie and it was incredibly good but difficult to keep a dry eye. It's not like it had a sad part hear or there, the entire movie is wrenching. I don't keep up with awards but there was some very good acting in this movie. This is one reason I like to keep a premium movie channel there are movies that from the description I may not rent but may sit down at home to see what it's about and if it will keep my interest. This is one of those movies. I saw Halle Berry was in it and turned it on to see if it was good and it was excellent.

Auricauricle
03-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Blade Runner: When Hauer makes his speech and goes to Replicant Valhalla....Oh, that's tough!

Big Fish: when Finney is taken in the arms of McGregor and meets all the people in his life before he is "let go"....Shooooot. Somebody throw me a hankie and just let me be! (Sniff! Snuffle!)

Enemy Mine: Dennis Quaid as an astronaut meets Lou Gossett Jr., an alien and mortal enemy. Lou has a secret....Ooof...

thekid
03-28-2009, 11:31 AM
In no particular order.....

Sophie's Choice (Watch this movie-Listen to "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" and then proceed immediately into the fetal position....)
Legends of the Fall
Never Land
Bridge to Tabithia
Return to Me (Great soundtrack BTW)
Forrest Gump
Always

canuckle
03-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Hmmmmm...

Mask - the first movie that ever made me bawl.

Longtime Companion - one of the most haunting endings film has ever created.

Rent - cried at the stage version, cried at the movie version, cried at the new stage-on-DVD version!

The Cure - sweet and teary.

...and what was that movie where the kid was crying and hiding under his mother's hospital bed while she died? I think he might have unplugged her. I can't remember what movie it was at all, but I remember soaking the pillow with my all the crying.

Jack in Wilmington
03-29-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm one of those that crys at happy movies, rather than sad ones.

One of my guarenteed tissue grabbers is "The American President" When Annette Bening starts crying she always gets me going.

I must have missed it but did anybody mention "ET" When he comes back on the operating table there wasn't a dry eye in the house. People were still crying in the lobby after the movie.

RGA
03-30-2009, 06:57 AM
E.T. was the first time I remember crying in a movie and that was probably because the whole audience was crying - what a bunch of suckers we were all back in a less cynical time.

Schindler's List - I chose history as a minor because of that film - saw it 7 times in the theater.

Tears of happiness from kindness - Mr. Holland's Opus recently. Kind of under the radar movie.

Groundbeef
03-30-2009, 07:04 AM
It makes me cry when on post #43 a thread gets revieved after 2 YEARS of inactivity.

Auricauricle
03-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Um..#43? Whatchu talkin' about, Willis?

Mr Peabody
03-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Can I help it sometimes my memory kicks in? Watch the movie and you might understand why I brought the post back. You don't see many real movies like that these days. I'm not sure why more of a buzz wasn't created around the movie unless it was because it did mess with your emotions..

Auricauricle
03-30-2009, 06:06 PM
And that is precisely what makes for truly great art: If it rattles your world, it's art. If it doesn't do this, it's just a noise, a smear, a waste of good ink and paper.

As the man said, "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing!" (The "Duke" Ellington)

Worf101
03-31-2009, 04:56 AM
Longtime Companion - one of the most haunting endings film has ever created.

Forgot about this film. The only brother in law I ever had, young, handsome and brilliant... his was one of the first Aids quilts. That movie, the ending... god that one really, really hurts. So many beautiful men, women and children, dead for nothing... absolutely nothing.

Da Worfster