Method of cleaning? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Method of cleaning?

ssarm@mac.com
11-13-2007, 05:51 AM
I know a lot has been said about cleaning LPs, but does anyone have any experience with those Swiffer dust pads, or whatever they are? They are the things that you attach to the bottom of that Swiffer "mop/broom" that are supposed to be able to clean very well. I've used a few cleaning some dusty hardware and they work pretty good. Anyone ever use them on records?

jrhymeammo
11-13-2007, 05:17 PM
Will this be used for wet cleaning or dry cleaning?

If you are looking to simply dust off record surface, then get yourself a carbon fiber record brush. I have one distributed by Audio Quest. My friend has one ($10) and the brush is really stiff. Dont recommend it at all. I'm sure there are some that you can get for $10 that are soft, but you still gotta pay $5-7 on S/H charge. I would go to your local record shop and see if they have one by AQ or other generic brand, They are really nice and should late you for a LONG TIME. You put it side way and you can use it as a stylus brush. Very nice.

Wet Cleaning:
I strongly recommend one by Mobile Fidelity. amusicdirect.com or other sites carry it. They are simply the best damn record brush I have ever used. I thnk you'll find that it will last you much more than some "pad" from your local grocery store.

If you are be a bit particular and chose to get LP celaning solution by Record Research Lab, or get a bottle of distilled water with highest grade iso-alcohol.94%+? I would say water to Iso ration should be 20:1 or higher. H2O-Iso mix cleans LP pretty well, but it adds too much surface noise for me, but some have acheived great results from it.