SACD where I didn't suspect it!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SACD where I didn't suspect it!!!

GMichael
11-12-2007, 09:05 AM
I still am having trouble believing that I've had an SACD player for over two years now and didn't know it.
Once upon a time, I filled out one of those on-line survey thingies that send you a free gift when you're done. It was actually a very long and aggravating process that I'd never go though again, but I did get my gift a couple of years back. It was an HTIB system from Yamaha. Included in the system was a Yammie DVD player. It's one of those 5 DVD caracole types. Since everything else in the system is on the cheap-o side, I never gave the DVD player a second thought. The speakers have been replaced and the system does bedroom duty for me. Over the weekend our cable box locked up and I had to pull the plug to re-boot it. While I was waiting, I noticed something I didn't expect. This cheap-o DVD player that's several years removed from the current technology also plays SACD's. It's got analog jacks in the back for multi-sound out. Who would have guessed it? Not me. I never ever thought to look. It can't be one of the better units, but I'll have to give it a shot.

I feel like such a fool sometimes. (only when I'm awake though)

kexodusc
11-12-2007, 09:28 AM
ROFLMAO!
Just think if you were buying SACD's the last 2 years ago maybe you would have been the difference maker - SACD could be mainstream right now.

Chances are the DVD player is NOT an el cheapo unit - they often bundle in some of their regular production models into those HTIB thingys.
I have a Yammie universal that I liked enough to buy over Sony, Denon, Marantz and Pioneer Elite offerings. It's not the greatest as far as picture quality goes but I don't have it hooked up to a screen so what do I care?

Soo....got any SACD's?

GMichael
11-12-2007, 09:43 AM
ROFLMAO!
Just think if you were buying SACD's the last 2 years ago maybe you would have been the difference maker - SACD could be mainstream right now.

Chances are the DVD player is NOT an el cheapo unit - they often bundle in some of their regular production models into those HTIB thingys.
I have a Yammie universal that I liked enough to buy over Sony, Denon, Marantz and Pioneer Elite offerings. It's not the greatest as far as picture quality goes but I don't have it hooked up to a screen so what do I care?

Soo....got any SACD's?

Yeah right. I was the guy who could have put SACD's over the top. :crazy:

I'll check out the model number when I get home tonight. The receiver is an HTR-5740. It's not a bad unit at all, but it's not their top unit either. Does great in a 14'x21' bedroom.
The speakers were crap though. Replaced them with JBL E20's that were on sale for $40 a pair. The difference was amazing. The E20's are many times better than the Yamaha speakers it came with. I just figured that the DVD player would be in the same class.

Maybe it saved me though. I had ruled out the 40GB PS3 because it doesn't have SACD. I would have bought that model if I knew that I already had a player. Now I find out that the 40GB is having major return numbers.
Saved by what I didn't know.

L.J.
11-12-2007, 09:56 AM
So do you plan on eventually upgrading your AVR to one that is HDMI 1.1 or up. You now have two HD players that require HDMI to get their full potential. How the list keeps growing.....

GMichael
11-12-2007, 10:27 AM
So do you plan on eventually upgrading your AVR to one that is HDMI 1.1 or up. You now have two HD players that require HDMI to get their full potential. How the list keeps growing.....

It is on the list. But my list for upgrades far exceeds my list of income.

kexodusc
11-12-2007, 11:28 AM
HDMI receivers...hmmm, could be my next mandatory purchase.
We're still in limbo regarding moving in 2008 so my moratorium on new purchases remains - I haven't built a speaker in about 5 months now and the 360 is the only new addition.
I suspect once we figure things out I'll be needing yet another new AVR to go with the PS3/Bluray player or whatever I end up getting.

Are multi-channel inputs not sufficient for carrying the hi-rez audio formats on BluRay? I assume the PS3 doesn't have them anyway.

GMichael
11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Are multi-channel inputs not sufficient for carrying the hi-rez audio formats on BluRay? I assume the PS3 doesn't have them anyway.

Right. The PS3 does have any. But my DVD payer does! Go figure.

L.J.
11-12-2007, 12:20 PM
HDMI receivers...hmmm, could be my next mandatory purchase.
We're still in limbo regarding moving in 2008 so my moratorium on new purchases remains - I haven't built a speaker in about 5 months now and the 360 is the only new addition.
I suspect once we figure things out I'll be needing yet another new AVR to go with the PS3/Bluray player or whatever I end up getting.

No the MC is fine, but as you said, some players just don't support it.

pixelthis
11-13-2007, 12:12 AM
I still am having trouble believing that I've had an SACD player for over two years now and didn't know it.
Once upon a time, I filled out one of those on-line survey thingies that send you a free gift when you're done. It was actually a very long and aggravating process that I'd never go though again, but I did get my gift a couple of years back. It was an HTIB system from Yamaha. Included in the system was a Yammie DVD player. It's one of those 5 DVD caracole types. Since everything else in the system is on the cheap-o side, I never gave the DVD player a second thought. The speakers have been replaced and the system does bedroom duty for me. Over the weekend our cable box locked up and I had to pull the plug to re-boot it. While I was waiting, I noticed something I didn't expect. This cheap-o DVD player that's several years removed from the current technology also plays SACD's. It's got analog jacks in the back for multi-sound out. Who would have guessed it? Not me. I never ever thought to look. It can't be one of the better units, but I'll have to give it a shot.

I feel like such a fool sometimes. (only when I'm awake though)

Poster child for a pet peeve of mine, people who dont read instructions.
That player is quite good, I almost bought one, but for a Samsung model that played sacd AND dvdaudio, and cost 129 bucks.
Go buya some Sacds, I reccomend the herbie hancock headhunters and miles davis kinda blue of course.
FUNNY how most of my SACDs' are jazz, and most of my DVDAUDIOS are pop/rock.
You HAVE checked your player to see if it plays (or doesnt) DVDAUDIO of course?
Of course you have!
Havent you?:confused5:

GMichael
11-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Poster child for a pet peeve of mine, people who dont read instructions.
That player is quite good, I almost bought one, but for a Samsung model that played sacd AND dvdaudio, and cost 129 bucks.
Go buya some Sacds, I reccomend the herbie hancock headhunters and miles davis kinda blue of course.
FUNNY how most of my SACDs' are jazz, and most of my DVDAUDIOS are pop/rock.
You HAVE checked your player to see if it plays (or doesnt) DVDAUDIO of course?
Of course you have!
Havent you?:confused5:

Nope, but I did run out to the living room to check my $800 CD player to see if it played SACD's. It doesn't.

It was a free HTIB. Who knew?

bobsticks
11-13-2007, 08:07 AM
Kewl. Well this just hastens the inevitable...the joy all of us get in helping you decide on your first SACD purchases! And you can forget all the esoteric jazz and stuffy classical and general globbledegook that I listen too. Nah, we need some tunes for Bear Manor.

Of course Dark Side of the Moon should be at the top of the list but here's one out of left field: John Mayer's Heavier Things. This is some great rock/pop by a kid who is just starting to get the recognition he deserves as a serious musician. Add tothat soem some impeccable production and great surround effects and you've got the Minis singing and probably you and wifey too.

Have fun.

Oh yeah, NP:
http://www.highfidelitydiscs.nl/skin1/images/products/18067.jpg

kexodusc
11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Hmmm...Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and of course Charles Mingus - "Mingus ah um" are awesome.
I love Beethoven's 5th by Kleiber on SACD if you need a classical selection off the bat.

Alison Krauss- New Favorite is an awesome listen, and Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral kicks some serious ass if you want something harder.

That's 5 awesome, easily accessible options for ya.
Of course you have to get DSOTM - they should just stuff one in the box of every SACD player.

Feanor
11-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Hmmm...Coltrane's "A Love Supreme" and of course Charles Mingus - "Mingus ah um" are awesome.
I love Beethoven's 5th by Kleiber on SACD if you need a classical selection off the bat.

I have the three above plus DSOTM, and love 'em. All ARE huge "classics", using the term in a generic sense.

GMichael
11-13-2007, 10:16 AM
But I've already heard DSOTM twelve thousand, eight hundred, sixty nine and two thirds times.

bobsticks
11-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Great post by Kex but a word to the wise, the Alison Krauss SACD is "Out of Print". Get it now while you can because the street price has already shot up. I suspect 40 bones is the minimum you can expect to pay, and if it interests you grab it quick because it won't stay there.

GMichael
11-13-2007, 10:41 AM
What the heck!?

I thought that SACD's were a "nitch" market. Why is it that Amazon has 3,413 listings for them?

bobsticks
11-13-2007, 10:46 AM
<TRIUMPHANTLY> Ain't dead yet!!

(weeps, sniffles)

basite
11-13-2007, 11:29 AM
But I've already heard DSOTM twelve thousand, eight hundred, sixty nine and two thirds times.

So? you haven't heard it in the SACD version.

and I bet you don't own the Vinyl album too eh? time to catch up GM :cornut:

oh and btw, you never seize to suprise me :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
11-13-2007, 11:44 AM
So? you haven't heard it in the SACD version.

and I bet you don't own the Vinyl album too eh? time to catch up GM :cornut:

oh and btw, you never seize to suprise me :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Vinyl? Are you kidding me?

I've owned it on 8-track
Then casset
Then vinyl
Then bought a second vinyl to use as a master to record more cassets to replace the casset that died.
Then recorded it on lots of cassets each time the next one died.
Eventually wore out the second vinyl and bought a third.
Then a CD as a master
Then recorded onto the hard drive of my CD-R.
More CD's made to keep in my mine and the wife's car.
Then recorded onto the computer
Then ripped to the wife's IPOD.
Last weekend I ripped it to the MP3 that's in her new cell phone.

How many copies of this stinking thing do I need?

OK OK, just 2 more.
An SACD and then an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (BUT NOT BOTH!)

basite
11-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Vinyl? Are you kidding me?

I've owned it on 8-track
Then casset
Then vinyl
Then bought a second vinyl to use as a master to record more cassets to replace the casset that died.
Then recorded it on lots of cassets each time the next one died.
Eventually wore out the second vinyl and bought a third.
Then a CD as a master
Then recorded onto the hard drive of my CD-R.
More CD's made to keep in my mine and the wife's car.
Then recorded onto the computer
Then ripped to the wife's IPOD.
Last weekend I ripped it to the MP3 that's in her new cell phone.

How many copies of this stinking thing do I need?

OK OK, just 2 more.
An SACD and then an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray (BUT NOT BOTH!)

whoa...

Good point...

BUT! you have never heard the vinyl version on your minis :ihih:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
11-13-2007, 11:54 AM
whoa...

Good point...

BUT! you have never heard the vinyl version on your minis :ihih:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I could always dig up one of the three I have (I'm sure one of them made it through the big meltdown) and brush the dust off my old TT.

The SACD will do just fine.

pixelthis
11-14-2007, 01:51 AM

FOURTY NINE THOUSAND , seven hundred and thirty two to go
See basati's avatar? Just go look for that, its the cover of Herbie Hancocks
HEADHUNTERS.
There are four tracks on this one, each mind blowing.
But you know that.
Don't you?:hand:

GMichael
11-14-2007, 06:40 AM
FOURTY NINE THOUSAND , seven hundred and thirty two to go
See basati's avatar? Just go look for that, its the cover of Herbie Hancocks
HEADHUNTERS.
There are four tracks on this one, each mind blowing.
But you know that.
Don't you?:hand:

My mind has already been blown.:ihih:

basite
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM

you could try to blow it again??? :D

GMichael
11-14-2007, 09:44 AM
you could try to blow it again??? :D

Doh!:nonod:

pixelthis
11-15-2007, 03:19 PM

EXPLAINS QUITE A BIT:ihih:

PeruvianSkies
11-15-2007, 06:58 PM
That's a place that I might 'suspect' it, I mean it's a player that could perhaps have the capabilities, now if my toilet suddenly had 5.1 analog jacks coming out the back and had the SACD logo written on it, that might be a place I wouldn't suspect.

GMichael
11-16-2007, 06:30 AM
That's a place that I might 'suspect' it, I mean it's a player that could perhaps have the capabilities, now if my toilet suddenly had 5.1 analog jacks coming out the back and had the SACD logo written on it, that might be a place I wouldn't suspect.

Hmmmm.. I might have titled that one a little different.

GMichael
11-16-2007, 06:32 AM
EXPLAINS QUITE A BIT:ihih:

You forgot this guy. :1:

pixelthis
11-16-2007, 03:20 PM
YEAH, my toilet had something coming out of the back once, but it sure wasnt
analog "jacks", another kind of log maybe:sad:
(turn the water OFF when it gets cold!)

hifitommy
11-17-2007, 10:30 AM
there are plenty of pop/rock discs to get, and jazz will enhance your music appreciation. dont forget some classical like the chesky area 31 and the Mercuries.

lots of reissue rock stuff which also fares well and gives that relaxed, fulfilling sound that one hears on vinyl.

does your player also do dvda? that opens up some other possibilities. i dont have that option but have considered it in the form of an oppo player.

i havent embraced the MC area yet, i need some amp channels and a compatible center spk. i AM surrounded via dynaquad and thats always been satisfying, all modes go thru it so even fm is accommodated.

still, i truly enjoy the sacd format and for the most part, they arent grossly more costly than rbcd. i will NOT make a habit of buying mofis (and xrcd's ludicrously high prices irritate me, i wont buy them) other labels that gouge the customer.

my cheeeeep sony ns500v sounds great to me, i can only imagine what the meitner unit sounds like. one nice side benefit is that the sony sounds wonderful on rbcd, possibly due to upsampling. this has increased my enjoyment of the rest of my capacious supply of CDs.

bricks and mortar stores are sorely lacking in supplies of sacd although frys still has quite a few and adds new titles once in a while. my best source for sacd and other digital music is pricegrabber.com. i get my ideas from many sources like magazines and the ads of elusive, music direct, and acoustic sounds, but their prices are usually at list so pricegrabber it is.

WELCOME to the pleasure dome!

GMichael
11-19-2007, 07:54 AM
there are plenty of pop/rock discs to get, and jazz will enhance your music appreciation. dont forget some classical like the chesky area 31 and the Mercuries.

lots of reissue rock stuff which also fares well and gives that relaxed, fulfilling sound that one hears on vinyl.

does your player also do dvda? that opens up some other possibilities. i dont have that option but have considered it in the form of an oppo player.

i havent embraced the MC area yet, i need some amp channels and a compatible center spk. i AM surrounded via dynaquad and thats always been satisfying, all modes go thru it so even fm is accommodated.

still, i truly enjoy the sacd format and for the most part, they arent grossly more costly than rbcd. i will NOT make a habit of buying mofis (and xrcd's ludicrously high prices irritate me, i wont buy them) other labels that gouge the customer.

my cheeeeep sony ns500v sounds great to me, i can only imagine what the meitner unit sounds like. one nice side benefit is that the sony sounds wonderful on rbcd, possibly due to upsampling. this has increased my enjoyment of the rest of my capacious supply of CDs.

bricks and mortar stores are sorely lacking in supplies of sacd although frys still has quite a few and adds new titles once in a while. my best source for sacd and other digital music is pricegrabber.com. i get my ideas from many sources like magazines and the ads of elusive, music direct, and acoustic sounds, but their prices are usually at list so pricegrabber it is.

WELCOME to the pleasure dome!

Thanks, I did find a lot of SACD's on Amazon.
It looks like classical rules this format. I've been wanting to get a few classical CD's anyhow so this will work out fine. Jazz has been a rising star for me over the last year already. A little more won't hurt. And I guess I'll break down and get DSOTM one more time.:sad:

filecat13
11-21-2007, 03:41 AM
And I guess I'll break down and get DSOTM one more time.:sad:

Well, until you find a download of the Alan Parsons Quadmix DVDA version, anyway...:crazy:

Some prefer it to the SACD.