Outlaw RR2150 -- quality of USB DAC? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw RR2150 -- quality of USB DAC?

turnstyle
11-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Hi all, just wondering how well Outlaw RR2150's USB DAC does its thing -- I had been looking at dedicated USB DACs (Benchmark, etc.) but I'd be happy to save the cash and eliminate the extra box and cables.

turnstyle
11-11-2007, 08:29 AM
Outlaw sent the following info -- can anybody here perhaps help me to help understand?

The USB input uses the Micronas chip, one of the very best available. The DAC for the USB is self contained on the Micronas chip. It offers:

-Single-chip, USB specification 2.0 compliant, stereo audio D/A converter

-Supports up to 24-bit playback

-Independent adaptive sample rates of 6.4 to 48kHz for USB playback

-THD better than -90dB and SNR of typ. 96dB for D/A converters

pixelthis
11-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Sounds pretty good, figures its usb 2.0, everything is these days.
But I have seen several USB dacs that upsample to 192 khz(audiomagus.com I beleive)
And you only need one cable, a usb cable running from your computer to a usb hub behind your gear.
I have an external soundcard and a pronto charger/computer dock and a dazzle
hooked up to this one hub, and just one wire running to my computer(besides the rgb for my monitor)

turnstyle
11-13-2007, 03:49 AM
I'm not actually sure that USB2 matters much, as USB1.1 already has enough bandwidth for CD audio (it's ~12Mbit/s) -- however some hubs will slow down if connected to a mix of USB2 and USB1.1 devices, so USB2 is preferable.

But I guess the real question is: does anybody know anything about the Micronas chip, and how well it does its job?