Spring CEDIA 2008 cancelled [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spring CEDIA 2008 cancelled

Mr Peabody
11-08-2007, 08:13 PM
I was reading some industry news headlines and apparently CEDIA 2008 Spring show has been cancelled. One of the issues is the expense of attending. Dealers are opting for small more direct training from manufacturers. The Rocky Mountain show is on and going big guns though. So I guess it depends on the area. There wasn't much written about this but if I can find where I read it I'll bring back a link.

pixelthis
11-09-2007, 12:27 AM
:1:
I was reading some industry news headlines and apparently CEDIA 2008 Spring show has been cancelled. One of the issues is the expense of attending. Dealers are opting for small more direct training from manufacturers. The Rocky Mountain show is on and going big guns though. So I guess it depends on the area. There wasn't much written about this but if I can find where I read it I'll bring back a link.

This is big but not really surprizing, I heard a talking head on CNBC that we were in for a
"doozy" of a recession. This is CNBC, not some fly by night outfit.
The subject on this site is HT and audio, but I notice that there arent that many aquisistions of new gear lately.
Gas is 3.00$ (if you're lucky) and stock pushers try to act like taking that much discretionary income out of the economy wont matter, but eveybody knows it will,
and then there is the weak housing market, etc.
I think the Electronics market is in for rough sledding next year, most consider electronic "toys" expendable, the first thing over the side when things get rough.
This is why I have been talking about an early end to the "format war", things get bad enough and BOTH new formats will suffer.
Most I talk to either don't know or care about hi-rez formats, most think DVD is just fine.
I hear a note of desperation on TV from the car dealers, a lot of ad's are talking about
financing, people tell me cars aren't selling.
Most on this site haven't been through hard times ( a recession if a democrat is in office,
a depression if a republican is, according to the liberal media)
Well, most are about to get an education. I spent a year out of work in the late seventies,
almost all of the industry in town shut down and never reopened.
People like to gather together, rub elbows, talk about the latest, if ceda is being canceled
it means the economic prognosticators are more worried than they are letting on.
This is bad news not just for the industry but for the convention industry, the airlines,
you name it. Not to mention the media, what will all of those electronics' mags talk about without a convention?:1:

pixelthis
11-09-2007, 12:35 AM
Not to mention that the Taliban is slowly taking over pakistan, a story that hasn't been covered lately in the American media.
Everybody talks about Iran, but Pakistan already has the bomb, if the idea of the taliban
having nukes doesnt scare the bejeezus outta you, then you arent paying atention.
This unrest is one of the many factors driving up oil prices:1:

heidy_james
04-12-2010, 09:12 PM
This is an informative site, which have all the hottest news and updates. :10:

Mr Peabody
04-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Seeing that it is Spring 2010, did I miss something? Well...... other than CEDIA 2008.

pixelthis
04-14-2010, 09:58 AM
Seeing that it is Spring 2010, did I miss something? Well...... other than CEDIA 2008.

Didn't miss a thing.
Looking back, with 39 million out of work still, I think that if anything we were a little
too conservative in our prognostications:1: