She shone up bright like a knife... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : She shone up bright like a knife...

Swish
11-08-2007, 01:19 PM
...wearing tennis shorts made of stripes.

Haven't heard much about the Shins since their last record "Wincing the Night Away", which I feel was a major disappointment after the great Chutes Too Narrow. I feel the same about p.j harvey's latest too, and they're both among my favorites.

So what other new releases have been a disappointment to you? These two are right up there for me. Neither was a disaster or anything, just not up to the standards I've come to expect.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
I agree that Wincing was not nearly as good as Chutes, but it was far better than Oh, Inverted World IMO.

The new Crowded House CD was a huge disappointment for me. I spent months anticipating this release. With 13 years since their last CD, you'd think they woulda had time to come up with better songs. In my opinion it's the worst CD they've released.

Swish
11-08-2007, 01:54 PM
I agree that Wincing was not nearly as good as Chutes, but it was far better than Oh, Inverted World IMO.

The new Crowded House CD was a huge disappointment for me. I spent months anticipating this release. With 13 years since their last CD, you'd think they woulda had time to come up with better songs. In my opinion it's the worst CD they've released.

Be prepared to for a proper thrashing from the likes of Slosh and Davey. Actually OIW may be better than Chutes, or at least it's equal IMO. Not as poppy or accessible, but very good.

As for Crowded House, it's been pretty common when these old bands get back together and put out crappy music. I think the creative fires dwindle and the need to be 'vital' just isn't there any longer. I don't know. I think most bands put out their best music in the earlier years as opposed to later on. Look how crappy bands like the Eagles and Aerosmith have become, not that I ever cared much for them. And even really good bands like the Who were more prolific in their earlier years. Ditto the Beatles.

Swish

Finch Platte
11-08-2007, 02:00 PM
Howzabout Steely Dan? All the discs up to Aja had a million different styles on 'em, then Aja and beyond had that same jazz lite feel to them.

fp

Davey
11-08-2007, 02:27 PM
I love the PJ Harvey record, might be my favorite of the year. Title track is really haunting. Great sound too.

Biggest letdown for me was probably the latest from the Moonbabies. And I was kind of disappointed in Myth Takes by !!! too. Hard to enjoy a record not matter how good it might be when the sound is so loud and in your face all the time. Stupid engineers and artists and producers and whoever else is responsible, including me for buying it.

Swish
11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Howzabout Steely Dan? All the discs up to Aja had a million different styles on 'em, then Aja and beyond had that same jazz lite feel to them.

fp

I didn't care for much that followed, but it's held up well over the years.

Swish

Swish
11-08-2007, 02:33 PM
I love the PJ Harvey record, might be my favorite of the year. Title track is really haunting. Great sound too.

Biggest letdown for me was probably the latest from the Moonbabies. And I was kind of disappointed in Myth Takes by !!! too. Hard to enjoy a record not matter how good it might be when the sound is so loud and in your face all the time. Stupid engineers and artists and producers and whoever else is responsible, including me for buying it.

...and pick up your guitar. Look, I don't hate it, I just don't think it's her strongest effort. When Under Ether is a great song, but one or two songs doesn't make a good record. It's almost depressing and not in a good way. I guess I want more of 'To Bring You My Love' and will never get it again. Too bad for me. Still love her to pieces though. Best of the year? Your judgment is clouded my friend. Sorry.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Be prepared to for a proper thrashing from the likes of Slosh and Davey. Actually OIW may be better than Chutes, or at least it's equal IMO. Not as poppy or accessible, but very good.

As for Crowded House, it's been pretty common when these old bands get back together and put out crappy music. I think the creative fires dwindle and the need to be 'vital' just isn't there any longer. I don't know. I think most bands put out their best music in the earlier years as opposed to later on. Look how crappy bands like the Eagles and Aerosmith have become, not that I ever cared much for them. And even really good bands like the Who were more prolific in their earlier years. Ditto the Beatles.

Swish

OIW is a huge borefest, with a couple of song exceptions. Bring on the thrashing...my opinion stands.

Neil Finn had a couple of really good solo releases so I don't think that the creative juices stopped flowing. I just think that he got all macabre after the CH former drummer offed himself.

ForeverAutumn
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
... but one or two songs doesn't make a good record.
Swish

Apply this to OIW and I rest my case. :)

Finch Platte
11-08-2007, 02:47 PM
I didn't care for much that followed, but it's held up well over the years.

Swish

I like it, too, but you gotta admit, stylistically, it doesn't compare to the earlier stuff.

fp

Swish
11-08-2007, 03:37 PM
I like it, too, but you gotta admit, stylistically, it doesn't compare to the earlier stuff.

fp

...but I can't say I like it less than their earlier stuff. Well, maybe I don't in the long run, but I don't think they jumped the shark either. Again, I was just asking who has been disappointed with a favorite band's latest record. Aja is old news brother. Very old.

Swish

bobsticks
11-10-2007, 04:24 PM
The title of this thread just reminds me that when I think of Swishy I think of:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u25__HY4XwE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u25__HY4XwE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Is that a drunken and bruised Rick Moranis in your avi?

RoyY51
11-10-2007, 04:44 PM
...disappointing new releases go, I'd have to put the new Eagles effort towards the top of the list. I realize that time dampens the fires in all of us, but you'd think after 25 years they'd have a little more to say. If they'd taken the best cuts from both discs and put them on one, it would have been a much more satisfying attempt, but still not up to par with their best. As it stands (IMO), it is a bloated, lackadaisical, calculated attempt to milk that cash cow one more time. Please understand, this is from a life-long fan who really wanted this release to be wonderful.

At least I was only separated from $11.99.

Swish
11-11-2007, 02:27 PM
The title of this thread just reminds me that when I think of Swishy I think of:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u25__HY4XwE&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u25__HY4XwE&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Is that a drunken and bruised Rick Moranis in your avi?

...dude I suppose. I picked up a batch of avatars on net a while back and like to mix them up a bit. Oh, and the video is pretty horrid by the way.

Swish

Swish
11-11-2007, 02:32 PM
OIW is a huge borefest, with a couple of song exceptions. Bring on the thrashing...my opinion stands.

Neil Finn had a couple of really good solo releases so I don't think that the creative juices stopped flowing. I just think that he got all macabre after the CH former drummer offed himself.

...'Arriving on a wave of pre-release hype in 2001, The Shins' debut record, Oh! Inverted World, immediately established itself as one of the most uniformly and universally likeable records of that year. Though not nearly the second coming of The Beach Boys as described by its most vocal proponents, the album was forged in melody and drenched in atmosphere, casting a thin but palpable haze over a beautifully arranged landscape of sincere hooks and sparse instrumentation. It was an immediately inviting formula, if one that ultimately proved limiting; the blurred sonics that blanketed the record also often smothered it, dulling the focus and clarity that frontman James Mercer skirted during the album's most powerful passages.'

Yeah Fall Girl, it was just a total mess.

Swish

bobsticks
11-11-2007, 07:28 PM
.... Oh, and the video is pretty horrid by the way.

Swish

As intended. You're welcome.

ForeverAutumn
11-12-2007, 07:25 AM
...'Arriving on a wave of pre-release hype in 2001, The Shins' debut record, Oh! Inverted World, immediately established itself as one of the most uniformly and universally likeable records of that year. Though not nearly the second coming of The Beach Boys as described by its most vocal proponents, the album was forged in melody and drenched in atmosphere, casting a thin but palpable haze over a beautifully arranged landscape of sincere hooks and sparse instrumentation. It was an immediately inviting formula, if one that ultimately proved limiting; the blurred sonics that blanketed the record also often smothered it, dulling the focus and clarity that frontman James Mercer skirted during the album's most powerful passages.'

Yeah Fall Girl, it was just a total mess.

Swish

It's so strange that you like this CD and I don't...because you and I never disagree about music. ;)

jim goulding
11-15-2007, 01:39 AM
I think that PJ Harvey has a lot of guts. Her new record probably isn't going to be a best seller for her. But I admire her putting out something so unadorned and personal.