The Flower Kings: The Sum Of No Evil//review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The Flower Kings: The Sum Of No Evil//review

3-LockBox
11-08-2007, 12:12 AM
Get those orders in for the next Flower Kings album, because Roine Stolt obviously reads fan blogs, and has been taking notes. No more flirting with other music styles, no more looks into the darker side of humanity, no more attempts at irony. Roine promised a return to form and he delivers. Finally, that long awaited follow-up to Space Revolver. Roine's got a list, and he's checking it twice.

I find this newest album to be a retread. To my ears, Love Is Only The Answer (the obligatory 20 minute plus epic here) is just Love Supreme warmed over. In fact the first track, One More Time, with its "Play that song just one more time" refrain, makes me think they're doing just that - playing that same old song again. Not that I dislike the old stuff; I thought that's what live albums were for.

I liked that The Flower Kings had eschewed the preachy, hippy sentiment (at least for an entire album) and was branching out over the course of the last two albums. But they must have read some of the fans bashing their lack of overt sentiment, because this album sounds exactly the way Roine said it would - "We wanted to make a real hardcore symphonic rock and prog album"; "Any fan of early 70's prog up until the first UK album should love this album". An album 'built to order' for "true" fans. I guess you can't fault the guy for being a business man.

Sounds like he was right on target...well, some people's target, not mine. Yes, there's superb musicianship dispensed throughout the album, every song has its intricate instrumental breaks, book-ended by sermonizing, yearning, utopian lyrics. Or as someone already put it, a very 'safe' TFK album. Like I said, tailor made; should fit some fans like a custom suit. I guess its not too bad, since its only a single disc, and the good thing about The Flower Kings, is that if you don't like an album of theirs, all you need do is wait another 14 or 15 months for the next one.

BarryL
11-08-2007, 07:06 PM
On first listen, I thought, this is the same old Flower KIngs. Then after a few listens, it sounded like an old friend. There's nothing new here, except a huge emphasis on keyboards with a lot fewer ripping guitar solos and more synth solos.

Actually, while it sounds like an old friend, I love it. There is nobody today that even comes close to making prog music this good, even if sounds mighty familiar.

Personally, I like the FKs that take more chances, but I love the FK sound, so after nine or ten albums, plus a bunch of Roine on side projects like Transatlantic and Kaipa, and three solo albums, I'm amazed that Stolt can still produce music this good. This is complex, multi-layered, wonderful music. Too bad Stolt doesn't have the inventiveness on guitar that Howe has, to drive more inventive music, but I love this music.

3-LockBox
11-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Parts of this album do show signs of brilliance, but I do miss the guitar in this one. And I was remiss to hear less of Has Froberg, as I think he has a better voice than Stolte, although his hair-flipping on stage is way out of character with the music. Sounds like you like it for the reason I don't. But I too, am amazed that Stolte doesn't just burn out.

Dave_G
11-18-2007, 07:42 AM
This one doesn't exactly make me love TFK any more that I already do, it's just more of the same old TFK stuff to me, nothing really outstanding, but I've only listened to it maybe 10 times, maybe it will "hit" me one day...I'm waiting!

Dave

BarryL
11-22-2007, 09:07 AM
This one doesn't exactly make me love TFK any more that I already do, it's just more of the same old TFK stuff to me, nothing really outstanding, but I've only listened to it maybe 10 times, maybe it will "hit" me one day...I'm waiting!

Dave

Nothing Outstanding? Shows how desensitived we've become to the great quality of the FKs. Who else is producing progressive rock music that puts this to shame? (I know you didn't say that). Stated differently, who's more outstanding?

3-LockBox
11-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Nothing Outstanding? Shows how desensitived we've become to the great quality of the FKs. Who else is producing progressive rock music that puts this to shame? (I know you didn't say that). Stated differently, who's more outstanding?

Its very competantly and professionally done - it just leaves wanting to listen to Paradox Hotel or A&E more. It leaves with the feeling that I'd accidentally bought a CD I already owned.

I like three or four prog albums better. Hell, I've listened to the new Glass Hammer CD more times than I have SoNE, and I've had SoNE on month longer. But for me, Ritual's Hemulaic Voluntary Band is the prog release of the year (in my house anyway). I'd rate the new Kaipa above SoNE. I will say that while I appreciate more what Carl Groves has done with Glass Hammer, it isn't as well executed as an FK album, but I like the direction GH is going.

This doesn't mean I've written off TFK, oh not at all. I'll prolly be on-board to buy the next Flower Kings album when it comes out, oh say, 10 months from now ;)

BarryL
11-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Yep, that Kaipa album was pretty good.