Christmas came early... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Christmas came early...

basite
11-07-2007, 12:34 PM
And yes it did came early :)

Those who received a PM from me were expecting a thread today, well, here's the thread...

Unfortunately I was too busy moving the speakers and listening to them that I didn't actually have enough time to make photos, so pics are for tomorrow, as is the rest of this thread, because I don't have any words to explain this :cornut:

well here it is anyway. I am now the (very very very very very very very) happy owner of a pair of (wait for it) Thiel CS2.3's.

now you will possibly understand why I didn't take time to take pictures yet :cornut:

so, I'm off now, gotta do some more listening :)

in the meanwhile, all you guys can already read this:
http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site05/PDF_files/PDF_product_lit/CS2_3lit.pdf

Keep them spinning, I will :)
Bert.

GMichael
11-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Mic's?
Thiel's

Are you printing money in your basement again?

Great pick-up!

Congrats

topspeed
11-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Congrats! Enjoy your new toys and happy listening! :thumbsup:

Jack in Wilmington
11-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Yes congrats. I know it's way to early for an extensive review. But any first impressions right out of the box. Classical and Jazz sound better than Rock etc.

bobsticks
11-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Ladies and gentlemen you are looking at the future of our hobby, and a bright one it is.

Bert, I love seeing someone of your youth and certainly your exhuberance continue the journey. Keep with the fine and varied taste, maintain the good-spirited sense of gratitude, and above all enjoy yourself.

Good stuff happens to good people.

Feanor
11-07-2007, 04:20 PM
... Thiel CS2.3's.
Bert.

Just super. I'm sure you'll really enjoy them. :thumbsup:

L.J.
11-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Congrats!!!

PeruvianSkies
11-07-2007, 05:21 PM
While I am personally not a big fan of them, they are certainly a huge improvement over what you had a superb if not ridiculously superb start for someone your age, congrats!

musicman1999
11-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Sweet.

bill

jrhymeammo
11-07-2007, 06:36 PM
AHhhhh, Here is the thread I was waiting on.

Yeah, seriously Bert. Why could you've picked up better speakers than Thiel. Jeez, we haven't taught you anything. When are you going to learn. And, what is your next upgrade? LOL.

But in all seriousness, Big Congrats to my man, Basite. You undoubtly made a great choice.

Congrats again,

NOW WHERE ARE THE PICS!

Big H,

Luvin Da Blues
11-07-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm know you deserve every decibel from them,

Congrats, Basite

thekid
11-07-2007, 07:16 PM
I join the chorus........while have not every heard these speakers i read an article on them in Stereophile that spoke very impressively of them. A early Merry X-mas indeed!! Enjoy!

basite
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
I can already give you guys 2 pics, as you can see still no decent audio furniture, but that will come too :)

as you can also see, no more Advents in the picture :(
I've tried to just push them back a little, and put the thiels in front of them, but it got all messy and mom nearly got a stroke when she saw it, so the advents had to 'retire', they're under my desk now, but will move to the attic sooner or later, hopefully my brother would also like a pair, because I can't see them just standing there...

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/IMG_0350.jpg

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/IMG_0344.jpg

oh, BTW, The sound is awesome :cornut:

more pics (higher resolution, better cam) will follow soon. Actually, the next pics won't be from in my room, but from in the living room, because I was so amazed by the sound I just had to give them a more audio friendly room, so I dragged them upstairs, along with the Mac and the cdp. That sound was awesome too :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

kexodusc
11-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Wow - those are nice speakers. I have a friend who has the CS 2.2's - he's had them awhile and is extremely happy.
Congrats on your new toys.

Oh, btw, love the Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters avatar - great album!

dean_martin
11-08-2007, 11:26 AM
ooh, very nice. Merry Christmas to you!

Feanor
11-08-2007, 11:36 AM

oh, BTW, The sound is awesome :cornut:

... I dragged them upstairs, along with the Mac and the cdp. That sound was awesome too :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

The look great. I'm sure they sound much better in a larger room too.

JohnMichael
11-08-2007, 01:36 PM
Congratulations. I bet that is a sweet sounding system. You have done well young sir.

jrhymeammo
11-08-2007, 04:27 PM
DAT IS OFF DA HIZZNIT!!

So Bas, spill us the goods, what was the first album you played with your new toy?

Big H,

PeruvianSkies
11-08-2007, 05:01 PM
I am curious why you went with the Thiels and what were some of the other choices that you considered?

Mr Peabody
11-08-2007, 07:37 PM
I'd love to hear that Mac/Thiel combo. I'd bet it is very musical. How many times do you have to mow the lawn to pay for those:) Way to go.

Bernd
11-09-2007, 12:37 AM
....Bert. That looks great, and I know that Thiel does work well with Mcintosh. A fine system. I can only agree with bobsticks comments. The future looks indeed bright.
And yes, spill the canellini. What was the first disc on?:6:
Christmas came early-indeed!:)

Peace

:16:

Florian
11-09-2007, 08:23 AM
Gratulations :-)

And before you know it, youll be looking at a Genesis 201 ;-)

Cheers :)

basite
11-09-2007, 11:33 AM
I'd love to hear that Mac/Thiel combo. I'd bet it is very musical. How many times do you have to mow the lawn to pay for those:) Way to go.

oh yes, it's a perfect marriage :)

Why I chose the Thiels, well, they downright beat every other speaker I had in mind given my budget, they look real classy and High end, it's a fantastic match with the Mac and I just fell in love with their sound :)

the imaging is just fantastic with these speakers, everything is just there, in my room. The speakers also dissapear, even in my small acoustical nightmare-ish room, and they just have this huge soundstage :cornut:

I really can't describe them, my vocabulary is too small for that, but really, I'm truly impressed :cornut:

btw, the first album I played was a classical one, being Shostakovich's symphony n°4, twice, to help me setting the thiels up. Second album was Herbie Hancock's Head hunters (the one from my avatar), third album was Aereogramme - My heart has a wish that you would not go (Thanks Bernd, I love this album :))
and alot others followed :)

and oh Flo, I think genesis 201's are slightly to big for my room, besides that, Nice speakers :)
however I am really curious about one of the bigger apogees too...

More pics will follow :ihih:

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

SlumpBuster
11-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Lookin' good... lookin' real good. Congrats, Bert. Your kit is now officially better than mine.:17: I'm jealous. :cornut:

But, you've also been initiated into another group too. You now officially have an "audio graveyard." All the old timers will have closets, attics and garages filled with old speakers and gear. I know I do. No you old amp can have some company in its retirement.

GMichael
11-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Lookin' good... lookin' real good. Congrats, Bert. Your kit is now officially better than mine.:17: I'm jealous. :cornut:

But, you've also been initiated into another group too. You now officially have an "audio graveyard." All the old timers will have closets, attics and garages filled with old speakers and gear. I know I do. No you old amp can have some company in its retirement.

Or he could set them up in the basement. All he needs is another room.

basite
11-09-2007, 01:09 PM
All he needs is another room.

you got that right Mike :)

I might build a small 'attic system' with the advents & the denon :)

all I need is a source :ihih:

GMichael
11-09-2007, 01:30 PM
you got that right Mike :)

I might build a small 'attic system' with the advents & the denon :)

all I need is a source :ihih:

Do you have a TT yet?

basite
11-09-2007, 01:36 PM
in my current system, the luxman...

I don't think I'll replace it until it dies though, I'm happy with it :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
11-09-2007, 08:48 PM
The 5001 is a decent machine but your next upgrade should be a new player or DAC capable of really making the Mac/Thiels shine.

basite
11-10-2007, 01:21 AM
The 5001 is a decent machine but your next upgrade should be a new player or DAC capable of really making the Mac/Thiels shine.

that indeed will be the next upgrade, but it is somewhere in the far away future, at least one year from now :)

I like Rega so I think that will be the next one :)
I'll keep the marantz though, it's more forgiving and has slightly stronger bass, so the lesser recordings will still sound reasonable too...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

E-Stat
11-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Lookin' good... lookin' real good. Congrats, Bert.
Ditto!

All the old timers will have closets, attics and garages filled with old speakers and gear. I know I do. No you old amp can have some company in its retirement.
Hey now, I represent that comment! The cat and I thoroughly enjoy listening to the double Advent system in the garage using old friends like the '75 Ariston RD-11s/SME and '81 Stasis. :)

rw

Mr Peabody
11-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Have you heard the Rega CDP? Our Rega dealer carries their tables but never brought in the digital stuff or other electronics. They are an Arcam dealer and claimed the Arcam was far superior. From what I've heard of the Arcam cdp's and compared them to, the Rega would have to be pretty darn good to compare. Rega's players do seem to do well though, I'd like to hear one.

You could get a DAC and then keep both hooked up and choose depending on the recording. I've been extremely happy with my Audio Note. It has a different presentation than my Krell had but once in my system I couldn't go back. Some of the Conrad Johnson DAC's are around occasionally on Audiogon, that would be something to hear on the front end of a Mac. It's hard to describe how CJ makes music sound but they are what comes to mind when people use the term "musical". It's like CJ some how gives the music soul and a sense of timing not noticed on other gear. I describe AN as organic, they are very good at making the music sound less mechanically reproduced and more as if they are in the room.

Do you have to use 220v gear?

basite
11-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Do you have to use 220v gear?

yes, so no audiogon for me :(

I heard the rega cd players, and I must say that they were pretty darn good too, very musical too, and never fatiguing...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

basite
11-11-2007, 03:16 AM
here are 2 more pics, the pics didn't quite work out as I wanted though :(

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Luidsprekers_1.jpg

http://gallery.audioreview.com/data/audio//500/Luidsprekers_4.jpg

I will write a short review soon :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

audio amateur
11-11-2007, 09:45 AM
As everyone has said, congratulations!
But are those dents I can see on the woofer dust cap??

basite
11-11-2007, 10:40 AM
But are those dents I can see on the woofer dust cap??

yes, two quite small ones, they're barely visible from where I sit, and they don't influence the sound so it's no problem...

maybe I'll try to get them out once...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

JohnMichael
11-11-2007, 10:59 AM
yes, two quite small ones, they're barely visible from where I sit, and they don't influence the sound so it's no problem...

maybe I'll try to get them out once...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

I would much rather have dents in the dustcap than in the tweeter dome. Do not worry just sit back and enjoy the music.

audio amateur
11-11-2007, 02:38 PM
How did that happen?? You can try and suck 'em out, either with your mouth, or perhaps with a vaccum cleaner but make sure you're careful and gentle.
Cheers

PeruvianSkies
11-11-2007, 10:07 PM
How did that happen?? You can try and suck 'em out, either with your mouth, or perhaps with a vaccum cleaner but make sure you're careful and gentle.
Cheers

Yeah and make sure no one is going to walk in on you when you are trying that otherwise it might look like your blowing your speakers.

jim goulding
11-11-2007, 10:27 PM
I can understand how that might bug you but it makes no difference to your speaker or your music. You would have to get to the back of the driver and push it out is my best guess.

E-Stat
11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
You would have to get to the back of the driver and push it out is my best guess.
Nah, just use some masking or painter's tape. Easy to do.

rw

kexodusc
11-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Nah, just use some masking or painter's tape. Easy to do.

rw
Yeah. or let sleeping dogs lie if sound is unaffected (which I can believe).. They don't make epoxy like they used to anymore.

basite
11-13-2007, 09:33 AM
maybe some tape will help to pull them out, but I don't think I'm going to try that. The dents don't really bug me, I can hardly see them from where I sit, so I think I'll just leave them there...

BTW, I may have found a new place for the advents :)
they'll be moving to the attic anyway, and my denon is there too, so I might just set them up there, so my brother & dad can still listen to them when they want :)
source will be a vintage pioneer tuner (a very cheap one, that is), since I might be getting a vintage tube radio from grandfather to play around with :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
11-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Yeah. or let sleeping dogs lie if sound is unaffected (which I can believe).. They don't make epoxy like they used to anymore.

My son dented the dust cap on my B&W DM7's when he was two years old. The seal wasn't broken and I didn't hear a difference. I use those speaker for another 20 years with no issues. The guy who bought the DM7s from me use a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dent without causing damage. I think E-stat's idea is better, though.

Worf101
11-14-2007, 04:45 AM
Real good. There's nothing I like to hear more than someone lusting, wanting, buying then LOVING a good piece of kit. Congrats. May your purchase continue to bring sonic tears to your eyes...

Da Worfster