Hi, I'm Jenn and I am new here [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I'm Jenn and I am new here

Jenn11803
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Hey Everyone,

My name is Jenn. I am "new" to the site. Well, not "new" but new to posting. I have been reading a whole bunch of your posts because I am at a loss as to what I should be getting my husband for Christmas. Believe it or not, he does not have an Ipod, which is a possibility and then I thought about going bigger and getting a new TV. We currently have a 56" Akai-one of the big bulky ones-nice TV, but I think I want one to hang on my wall. My problem...I am only so knowledgable when it comes to these things and am not really sure where to start. I have seen many pros and cons on this site as well as some others, but I thought if maybe I could give some specifics, one of you smarter people :) could help me out.
As for the Ipod-I need one that has storage for about 1000 songs and I don't know if he wants one that has video capabilities or not. As for the TV, I have a whole blank wall, big enough for probably up to 65", BUT my couch is only 10 feet from the TV..how big would I want to go?
I did find a website that I like because it is actual people who have bought these things making video reviews for the more novice buyer like me! I found one 60" I like, here's the link
This one seems nice, but then they have so many other brands..sony..philips..what do you think?

I did just find another link they have for the holidays it seems that helps you search for gifts... as well as and now I am at more of a loss because I like the digital keychain gift (talk about going from big to small)

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

GMichael
11-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Hi Jen,

Welcome to AR.

I'm sorry, but I don't know much about ipods. But for 1000 songs, I think you'll need one with 4GB or more.

Also, this may sound strange, but you may want to copy your post and re-post it in the Rave Reveiws section here. The posters in that area seem to know the most about ipods. And not many of them veture outside of RR.

Good luck.

Groundbeef
11-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Jenn.

I would check RR for help with the Ipod issue. My wife has one of the older ones, and it holds tons of songs. I think 4 GB is about right for 1000 songs. That can fluctuate depending upon the compression level for the music.

Ipods are nice, and the interface is very intuitive. When you get up to 4GB you get a video screen regardless. You may not watch movies/tv on it, but it sure makes navigation easy. One trick I used when setting up my wifes Ipod, was to rip all the CD's into windows media player. Then I imported them into ITunes. The benefit is depending upon how you have your home network set up, its much easier to stream music out of WMP, as its MS based. Apple is kinda territorial.

For the TV, 65" is pretty big to hang. I have a 50" and it weighs just over 100 lbs. A 65" is gonna weigh at least 150 lbs. Make sure to have someone install it (IMHO). At that weight, you don't want it falling down. Check the HT section. I don't know squat about projection, but they can help you out there.

Here are some pictures of my setup:

http://gallery.audioreview.com/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=246919

Its a pioneer 50" plasma, and the couch is about 10' from the wall. Keep in mind that TV's in the store look quite small compared to actually being in the house. My wife and I measured out several sets, and then taped come colored tape on the wall to match the size. That might help you get some perspecive on how it will look, and where to put it on the wall.

Also, are you going to need any AV equipment to go with the TV? Check out the Home Theater section. Just tell the folks what you are looking to spend, and I am sure several memebers here can help direct you.

Good luck!

PDN
11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Jenn:

Glad to see a female on the forum. That's a rare event !! Welcome.

Since your couch is only 10' away from the TV location, I can't imagine you would need anything larger than a 52" TV. Maybe even a 46". I recommend the Sony Bravia LCD TV flat panel series. This line has a wide variety of sizes up to 70". The lowest priced 46" is $1899.00. What did you want to spend? We just got our first LCD TV and went with a 32" Sony Bravia. We sit about 10' to 15' away and 32" is plenty large for us. I guess it comes down to your budget. Sony Bravia is an excellent brand but there are many good ones out there (Sharp, Panasonic, LG, Toshiba, Samsung, etc). I recommend you visit a retailer and stare at these units. Look at the colors and sharpness and compare. Look at the brightness too. I think you'll find these brands all produce great pictures. Good luck.

Mr Peabody
11-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Sharp's Aquos series are also good LCD's. I agree, if you are only 10 feet away don't go larger than 50" give or take. You want the HDTV to be 1080p compatible and should probably have at least two HDMI inputs.

You want to think about if you want an actual Apple Ipod or another brand of mp3 player. With Apple you can only use their software and the files (songs) aren't compatible with other players. Apple Ipods are generally more expensive. Other brands will allow you more flexibility as to what software you use to rip, burn & sync, and which file size & format (ie mp3, WMA etc) Just in case he might want to play a video get at least 10 gigs.

JSE
11-06-2007, 08:05 PM
Will you marry me? :ihih:

PeruvianSkies
11-06-2007, 09:31 PM
I am pretty darn sure that Jenn is a spammer. If I am wrong, I apologize.

emorphien
11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
This one doesn't really smell like spammer to me.

PeruvianSkies
11-06-2007, 09:54 PM
This one doesn't really smell like spammer to me.

Could be a SP3000 model, they are a bit smarter and disguise their posts a bit better, but you do notice the amount of links in the post right? Plus it's the FIRST post and more importantly it's that same line: Been around for awhile yadda yadda, yet the join date was Nov. 07. I could be wrong on this one, but I just have a strange hunch.

emorphien
11-07-2007, 05:14 AM
Oh, missed the extra links. Could be then.

Groundbeef
11-07-2007, 05:51 AM
Oh, missed the extra links. Could be then.

I think PS is right. I didn't even notice the links, but now I see that all 3 are for the same website.

PS you get a greenie for that. I almost gave you a red, because I felt stupid to have responded to a 'bot post.

musicoverall
11-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Will you marry me? :ihih:

If Jenn is a spammer, she could also be a man. Still interested? :)

basite
11-07-2007, 12:20 PM
spam determination tabel:

is the message suspicious? no? --> don't bother; if yes --> Is the username kinda weird?: no.--> don't bother, and just answer. If yes --> check user's data: registering date, any other information and look the username up in google. --> more than 1 page with the same username on similar forums with the same user information (registering date, other information...) no--> probably a spammer, but it could be a normal user too, answer post when you like. If yes: definately a spammer, report to mod.

hey, 'she' makes an exellent spammer :)
look her username up on google, you'll find 2 pages with the same username, all on electronics forums, asking similar question...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Feanor
11-07-2007, 01:09 PM
What he really wants is a nice, modest stereo system, like this one perhaps

...http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Mikel_system2.jpeg

Groundbeef
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
What he really wants is a nice, modest stereo system, like this one perhaps

...http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/Mikel_system2.jpeg

Thats a really cool setup. I have a couple of questions.

1. What is that cord running up to the control box? by the chair. Its about as thick as a snake.

2. All that money for a setup, and only one chair? Doesn't it seem kinda lonely to not be able to share an experince like I'm sure you get sitting there? At least put in another recliner.

And what is someone's guess as to the cost of a similar setup. This is the closest I'll ever get to one!

JSE
11-07-2007, 02:01 PM
If Jenn is a spammer, she could also be a man. Still interested? :)

Good point!
What kind of TV was she thinking about?:shocked:

topspeed
11-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Jen doesn't seem like a spammer at all, merely a confused consumer with some reasonable questions. If you think about it, we all started that way and there's nothing here to merit an all out assault.

To the OP:

What is your price range? Do you have to hang it on the wall or can you place it on a stand? What is your source (i.e. cable, satellite, OTA antenna)? Do you watch more standard definition or is high definition important? The more info you provide, the easier it will be to answer your questions.

As for the iPod, a lot depends on what you want to do with it. If you envision watching a lot of video, you can't really beat the iTouch which is essentially an iPhone without the phone. It has the largest screen and in extremely intuitive interface. Oh, and it's "cool" factor is off the charts. If this is mainly for music, go for the new Nano. It's very compact, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive at just over $100. There are other options, however if your husband isn't very computer savvy, it's tough to beat the ease of iTunes and the wealth of peripherals for the iPod.

Feanor
11-07-2007, 04:14 PM
Thats a really cool setup. I have a couple of questions.

1. What is that cord running up to the control box? by the chair. Its about as thick as a snake.

2. All that money for a setup, and only one chair? Doesn't it seem kinda lonely to not be able to share an experince like I'm sure you get sitting there? At least put in another recliner.

And what is someone's guess as to the cost of a similar setup. This is the closest I'll ever get to one!

This room belongs to Mike Lavigne at Positive Feedback. (Some equipment has changed since the picture I believe.) The room was custom build, I don't recall the cost exactly but it was over $150k if I'm not mistaken. Just my guess, but the equipment is likely worth above $500k.

There's lot's more information here ...

http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html

PeruvianSkies
11-07-2007, 07:37 PM
Jen doesn't seem like a spammer at all, merely a confused consumer with some reasonable questions. If you think about it, we all started that way and there's nothing here to merit an all out assault.

To the OP:

What is your price range? Do you have to hang it on the wall or can you place it on a stand? What is your source (i.e. cable, satellite, OTA antenna)? Do you watch more standard definition or is high definition important? The more info you provide, the easier it will be to answer your questions.

As for the iPod, a lot depends on what you want to do with it. If you envision watching a lot of video, you can't really beat the iTouch which is essentially an iPhone without the phone. It has the largest screen and in extremely intuitive interface. Oh, and it's "cool" factor is off the charts. If this is mainly for music, go for the new Nano. It's very compact, easy to use, and relatively inexpensive at just over $100. There are other options, however if your husband isn't very computer savvy, it's tough to beat the ease of iTunes and the wealth of peripherals for the iPod.

If "she" posts a follow up to this that has something that relatively shows signs of life and some as-semblance of conversation with what others have typed, I'd be amazed.

jrhymeammo
11-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Spammer was my initial impression. I swear, the next time I need help I'm gonna floss as a girl. Is that a proper way to use the slang "Floss"? Guess Im not a hip as I used to presume....

JRA

PeruvianSkies
11-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Spammer was my initial impression. I swear, the next time I need help I'm gonna floss as a girl. Is that a proper way to use the slang "Floss"? Guess Im not a hip as I used to presume....

JRA

I thought the same thing...a female...all of a sudden bam bam bam and a plethora of helpful responses.

Mr Peabody
11-07-2007, 09:14 PM
Ooooo..... I feel so dirty.

pixelthis
11-08-2007, 12:06 AM
I vote for spammer.
EXPO tv , THE SITE SHE LINKS TO, has a cool concept, video reviews from "everyday" people reviewing products, then you notice they are reviewing only PANASONIC
products.
The review of the SVHS vcr was entertaining tho, do they still make those?
Anyway, lots of good info on this site, like how one TV comes with a remote.
Cool!:1:

E-Stat
11-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Optical feed between EMM Labs transport and DAC.

Actually, that is a dated photo. He has since replaced the Karma speakers. The room was completely purpose built for listening.

Current system (http://cgi.audioasylum.com/systems/663.html)

rw

Feanor
11-08-2007, 06:13 AM
I thought the same thing...a female...all of a sudden bam bam bam and a plethora of helpful responses.

My response was anything but helpful. :biggrin5: :lol: :lol:

GMichael
11-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Hey, I'm always helpful. Sorta.

Anyone notice anything unusual? Let me fill ya's in.
PS and Pixy agree on something.
What's up with that?

PeruvianSkies
11-08-2007, 07:38 PM

What's up with that?

Doesn't look like the Jennbot is coming back...hmmm.

PeruvianSkies
11-08-2007, 07:39 PM

What's up with that?

and for the record...I would agree with Pix 100% of the time, if only one thing would happen...he was actually right about what he was talking about. Then i'd agree.

audio amateur
11-11-2007, 07:48 AM
You guys should wait for a reply before you start firing down posts

Groundbeef
11-11-2007, 07:50 AM

Now what fun would that be?

emorphien
11-11-2007, 08:28 AM
chances are there would have been a reply by now

audio amateur
11-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Now what fun would that be?

Well I guess you've got a point, as long as you're happy with it:D

GMichael
11-11-2007, 06:13 PM

What's up with that?

Strange that GB would give me a redy for this post. I don't believe it's true.

Mr Peabody
11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Jenny, Jenny, she's the girl for me, 8 6 7 5.. 3 0 9
Jenny I got your number,
I... want to make you mine. 8 6 7 5...3 0 9

Groundbeef
11-12-2007, 05:44 AM
Strange that GB would give me a redy for this post. I don't believe it's true.

I thought you and Wooch are on a "race to the bottom". Just helping out. If you didn't want the reddy, I'll spread some rep around, and green you up later.

GMichael
11-12-2007, 06:42 AM
I thought you and Wooch are on a "race to the bottom". Just helping out. If you didn't want the reddy, I'll spread some rep around, and green you up later.

No problem Beefy. I don't mind having a little color here and there. I just thought that someone was blaming you for it. (that would be wrong) I'll take my red like a man and still send you a greeny.

filecat13
11-21-2007, 03:47 AM
Fourteen days, one post, it's official. Jenn's left you all for another man (and another, and another...). You just didn't give her what she wanted.

johnny p
11-27-2007, 01:30 PM
my advice.... to you.... dear Jenny..... would be to buy all of the items you listed.... even the digital keychain.... something for everyone's budget......... I must admit however..... I didn't look at your links..... because I didn't intend on helping you....

Regards....

Jenn11803
11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
For anyone that posted an answer thank you for your advice. I actually used the idea of taping the size on my wall. We wound up buying a 52" Bravia. As for the IPod, my husband got one as a Bday gift from work, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. As for the offer to marry me, sorry :) I am already taken. As for those that thought I was spamming-sorry if it seemed that way and I am sorry that I didn't come back sooner to refute those "charges", I got busy with bday shopping and holiday shopping and taking care of my daughter.

Thanks again though!

GMichael
11-28-2007, 02:58 PM
For anyone that posted an answer thank you for your advice. I actually used the idea of taping the size on my wall. We wound up buying a 52" Bravia. As for the IPod, my husband got one as a Bday gift from work, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. As for the offer to marry me, sorry :) I am already taken. As for those that thought I was spamming-sorry if it seemed that way and I am sorry that I didn't come back sooner to refute those "charges", I got busy with bday shopping and holiday shopping and taking care of my daughter.

Thanks again though!

Thanks for stopping in and setting the record straight. Good luck with your system. Let us know how you make out.

johnny p
11-28-2007, 03:29 PM
ah.... I will eat my helping of Crow..... I was so sure it was a setup!!!!!

You, and your Husband ENJOY that nice new t.v!!!

traugh
11-30-2007, 08:09 AM
You want to think about if you want an actual Apple Ipod or another brand of mp3 player. With Apple you can only use their software and the files (songs) aren't compatible with other players. Apple Ipods are generally more expensive. Other brands will allow you more flexibility as to what software you use to rip, burn & sync, and which file size & format (ie mp3, WMA etc) Just in case he might want to play a video get at least 10 gigs.

There is some misinformation here. Ipods play .mp3 files like most other .mp3 players and these files CAN be played on other players that play .mp3 files. IF you buy music from iTunes their files come in a proprietary format that also play on most .mp3 players that play CD discs in cars. (Never had any problem with mine). Itunes does not convert .wav files to my knowledge so that may be the only problem you might have.

Usually if there is a compatibility problem it is with the competing player, not Apples. To my knowledge you can download CD's onto all of them.

Mr Peabody
11-30-2007, 05:23 PM
If you think there is a miscommunication try to load your music that you have on I-tunes onto another brand mp3 player OTHER than Apple and see what happens. Or, try to load your Ipod using Windows Media Player, or any other program OTHER than I-tunes and see what happens.

filecat13
11-30-2007, 07:33 PM
Well, since we're so far off whatever topic this was when it started:

I have music on my iPods that I purchased online from several sources other than iTunes and it all plays just fine. The iPod supports AAC (16 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (16 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, and 4), Apple Lossless, WAV, and AIFF.

The Zune supports MP3, AAC, Zune Marketplace (Protected and DRM free), WMA Pro (2-channel), WMA Standard, WMA lossless for audio.

The Creative ZEN works with MP3 and WMA, and some models support WAV and Audible files. They are Plays-for-Sure certified, at least up until the point that Microsoft screwed them by releasing the proprietary Zune.

If you don't like iTunes, have you tried the Windows Embedded platform on the Zune linked to the Zune Marketplace? Now there's a locked down POS. :incazzato:

A player like the ZEN is a viable alternative to an iPod if you like the software that supports it, and don't mind having to choose from a number of second-rate music services.

Aside from iTunes, the only services I buy from are eMusic for its great prices and very eclectic mix of independent and unusual music, and from trance-mix. Music from both sites works seamlessly with my iPods. The other services I've demoed just suck, IMO, so why would I care if they're easy or hard to use or how many of them there are?

I can burn every single track I own on a disc and play it in any player I have. I can also convert tracks to MP3 or WAV or AIFF and load them on any player that supports those formats.

People have voted with their business, and the results are decisive. This may change in the future, and if it does, who cares? For now, if you want to be an independent, trailblazing, choose-your-own-path kind of guy, that's cool. When the day comes that Apple falls, you can be in the conga line of I-told-you-so people celebrating its demise.

In the meantime, there's no need to exaggerate the alleged flaws of one product and completely overlook the limitations and closed nature of other products.

Mr Peabody
11-30-2007, 08:11 PM
I use Creative Zen products and can load music onto it using WMA, MusicMatch or whatever software I want. If you are happy with iTunes great, because you are stuck with it as long as you use an iPod. I don't like Creative Media Lite either.

Are you able to convert AAC to another file format? If so, I wasn't aware that could be done.

PeruvianSkies
11-30-2007, 09:52 PM
Thanks for stopping in and setting the record straight. Good luck with your system. Let us know how you make out.

I am still not convinced that she is legit. I could be wrong, but this could be one of the new features of the SP3000 models, which have a slight personality to go with the helping of spam.

Jenn11803
12-06-2007, 12:16 PM
LOL, now I am an SP3000. OK, not exactly sure what that is, but, OK.

Feanor
12-06-2007, 12:34 PM

PeruvianSkies is cynical at times. :16:

Mr Peabody
12-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I only have a SP2500, I'd like to upgrade some day.

PeruvianSkies
12-06-2007, 10:32 PM

Ok, maybe you are real, but you certainly showed spam tendencies.

pixelthis
12-07-2007, 01:03 AM

Dont worry about peruvian skier, hes a pyscho bot 3000.
AND I would agree with him sometimes if he had any real info to agree with.
I post info on this site, and if ol PS disagrees with it I know its right:1:

GMichael
12-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Another thread gone awry.

Rich-n-Texas
12-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Knock it off Pix! It's the holiday season! Good will towards man et. al.

Mr Peabody
12-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I had a friend once with Spam tendencies, he ate that stuff for breakfast lunch and dinner. If he was here he'd through some on GM's rye.