HT- newb [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HT- newb

pooface
02-28-2004, 09:23 AM
I'm going to get the yahama rx-v1400 and I needed some suggestons for speakers. My budget is about $400...unless of course theres some super speakers for $450 that competes with $2000 speakers than i can make the exception ;)

Anyways would it be a waste to get cheap speakers for around $400 for the reciever? Thing is that im on a budget but I really want this receiever because of all the inputs/outputs it has (ill prolly use em all to :) ) and I heard 'silent cinema' is one of the best headhpone dsp's(is that right?) I use my hd580s alot when every1 is complaining about volume so good headphone sound is important.

So will it still sound great with speaker systems in the $400's and does anyone have any recommendations for around that amount? (i dont know anything about this stuff.... yet :) )

markw
02-28-2004, 09:55 AM
I hope that's for a pair.

5 speakers will be difficult and many, many compromises will need be made.

5 speakers and a sub is pretty much out of the question.

pooface
02-28-2004, 10:04 AM
speaker package would be fine.

Why do all $400 speaker packages suck?

Any1 know how these sound... http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HXseries/NSP436.htm

I dont have room for a huge system, so i need a smaller set anyways.

cam
02-28-2004, 11:58 AM
If I was you I would not get a very capable receiver like the rxv 1400 and then only spend $400 on speakers. You would be better off down grading the receiver to the rxv 540 or 640 and that way you might be able to free up some more coin for some decent speakers.

Woochifer
02-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Find yourself a good pair of speakers for that budget, and build incrementally from there. The lowest priced speaker package that I would recommend is the $500 Energy Take 5 system, and even that one has major issues with the satellite/subwoofer integration and frequency gaps in the lower midrange and upper bass range. The 1400 has excellent virtual surround DSP modes built in, which compensate for two, three, or four speaker setups. You don't have to buy the whole thing at the same time, that's a common mistake that people make and the speakers are almost always where the biggest compromises are made.

Most than anything, the choice in speakers will dictate the overall performance of your system. Differences between receivers, CD players, DVD players, are typically subtle, whereas differences between speakers are much more obvious. Take the necessary time to find the right family of speakers (judging the quality of not only the main speakers, but the matching surrounds and centers as well). It took me about two months of constant auditioning, comparing, and home demos before I decided. Make sure that you bring your own test discs with you, ones that you are familiar with and are indicative of what you will play on your system.

Yamaha and Sony probably make the best virtual headphone surrounds modes out there, but Dolby Headphone is a relatively new standard that (at least as implemented in the DVD demo track on Pearl Harbor) might be better than either of them. However, Dolby Headphone has only found its way onto a few flagship receiver models so far. Keep in mind that Yamaha has the same virtual surround functions on their entry level models as well.