NAD 7240PE and 4 old speakers.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NAD 7240PE and 4 old speakers..

waferman
11-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi, I would like to know what you guys think of the above NAD unit (40W/channel) driving 2 original Advent speakers ('74) and 2 AR 18bx smaller speakers. Living room is average to smallish. What would be the minimum I could go?

I would like to start picking up some used NAD stuff, kind of a change of pace thing from the old Kenwood that's been in use for years.

Thanks for advice,
John

dean_martin
11-06-2007, 09:15 AM
I had an NAD 7225PE (25wpc) for 17 years. After I passed it onto my son, one of the amp channels blew. (Of course he always had it cranked with the loudness button engaged.) He still uses the preamp section for radio and phono along with his newer Cambridge Audio integrated. The last time I used it, I had it mated with a pair of Acoustic Energy Aegis One speakers. I loved that sound even though it was probably overly warm. I never really tried 4 speakers at once because I always used it in a small room. I think the 7240 would be something fun to have around because of its many features, but if you're using speaker pairs A & B at the same time I think the power to each will be cut considerably and I'm not sure how easy it is to drive those Advents.

Something you might consider is going totally vintage. I wouldn't put that model NAD in the "vintage" category. Something like a Marantz or Pioneer receiver from the 70's might mate well with the Advents. The trick is finding a unit in good condition without getting ripped off, particularly if you're looking on eBay.

You might try posting your questions in the vintage forum. It doesn't get as much traffic, but I'm sure there are some folks still listening to Advents who could share some advice and experiences powering them.

kelsci
11-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Waferman; Years ago in my area, I had a Nad dealer. I remember testing the 7240PE receiver. I did not like its sound quality. I have the 3240PE amplifier which is really the amplifier in the 7240PE. It too is not a real turn on for me. I did own the 7220PE receiver. It produced excellent sound quality. I bought and returned the similar 7225PE receiver that Dean Martin had owned. I may have had a defective unit since it lacked power that the the 7220PE seem to have. In the Nad receiiver class, I would look for a 7100TX which was either 50 or 60 watts per channel and did have a remote control. Those units sounded great.

PDN
11-06-2007, 06:48 PM
Waferman, I still have my NAD 7240PE receiver which has got to now be about 20 years old. Still sounds terrific. I had driven 4 speakers (A&B) from this unit at times and it handled the load very well. This is a remarkable receiver with a great deal of reserve power. I wish it would crap out so I have an excuse to replace it !!

Would you be interested by the way in purchasing my existing NAD C541 CD Player? I have 3 CD players now and I really no longer need this one. It can play HDCD's but it doesn't do well with CD-R's just so you know. It's 7 years old. Good idea in moving away from your old Kenwood components and moving to preowned NAD equipment. NAD stuff seems to last forever !!

waferman
11-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Something you might consider is going totally vintage. I wouldn't put that model NAD in the "vintage" category. Something like a Marantz or Pioneer receiver from the 70's might mate well with the Advents. The trick is finding a unit in good condition without getting ripped off, particularly if you're looking on eBay.

You might try posting your questions in the vintage forum. It doesn't get as much traffic, but I'm sure there are some folks still listening to Advents who could share some advice and experiences powering them.

I am actually considering having the left channel on my old '74 Kenwood fixed- It drove A&B together just fine for a long time. Not surround but still sounded great with movies. I did school dances 3 or 4 times also!

waferman

waferman
11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Waferman, I still have my NAD 7240PE receiver which has got to now be about 20 years old. Still sounds terrific. I had driven 4 speakers (A&B) from this unit at times and it handled the load very well. This is a remarkable receiver with a great deal of reserve power. I wish it would crap out so I have an excuse to replace it !!

Would you be interested by the way in purchasing my existing NAD C541 CD Player? I have 3 CD players now and I really no longer need this one. It can play HDCD's but it doesn't do well with CD-R's just so you know. It's 7 years old. Good idea in moving away from your old Kenwood components and moving to preowned NAD equipment. NAD stuff seems to last forever !!

Thanks for the offer, but CD-R compatibility is important to me these days- A Denon changer in my car that was very dear to me had to go as I couldnt get it to play CD-R's, or any new CD either. Thanks for the feedback on the 7240PE. It is looking like they are getting popular on ebay right now. There is one in a local vintage stereo shop for $160; I might grab it. It's only 20W/channel; I would like to try 40 at least, judging by some of the advice. I am surprised at how many people only use 2 speakers in these forums- I thought audiophiles would have more! My 'audio' social growth stopped when I was 25 or so, but I would like to get back into having a nice stereo with well placed speakers.

Thanks guys!
JOhn