I need help choosing some discs. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need help choosing some discs.

Finch Platte
02-28-2004, 04:27 AM
If you subscribe to AMP magazine (www.ampmagazine.com) for two years, you get 4 free CDs from the list here: www.cheetahsrecords.com/lizardcart/detail.php?id=377

I have no idea about any of these bands (except for King Diamond and Descendents)- for now I am looking at the free discs that come w/ every issue of AMP to see if any tracks are from the discs you get if you subscribe, but being the lazy bastid I am, I thought maybe I could get some help from you guys.

Any RRecommendations?

AMP is a punk/hardcore mag, which really isn't my cuppa, but they've got some great writers and funny reviews of releases, plus they hate Bush, so they can't be all bad. ;)

Thanks ad invance,

fp

Check out my new dishwasher!

Stone
02-28-2004, 07:39 AM
I won't be a lot of help as I haven't heard of the vast majority of bands on that list, but these things I do know:

(1) The Descendents disc is a 4-song single. I have it and I don't think it's anything special (but it's not really bad either).

(2) I've heard some people talking about The Casualties. I really don't know much about them, but from what I can tell, there may be some buzz about them.

(3) Thanks to Rae, I've heard a couple Soviettes songs which were really good. If it were me, that'd be one of my choices.

(4) The Subhumans (UK) put out some damn good punk stuff in the early 80s, and that'd be one I'd get if it were me choosing (although I haven't heard this album). If the live performance is decent at all, it'd be worth it just to get "Black and White."

(5) If you get CDs you don't like, there's always people around here willing to take them off your hands. :)

Stone

jdeare
02-28-2004, 03:51 PM
Sorry, no help here. I'd have a very hard time with those choices...

Dusty Chalk
02-28-2004, 05:35 PM
Other than King Diamond, the only others I've heard are:

Black Dahlia Murders -- good, it was in my local Tower's listening station, I'd definitely pick that one, but that's me. Blistering metal, a la The Crown, IIRC.

Anatomy of a Ghost -- bad, have not heard good things about that one. But haven't heard, so could be wrong. "Emo", according to AMG. Yeah, that sounds right. I'm kind of done with Emo.

I'd go with some of the various artists things. That's your best bet. Unless you want to search on every single one of those and see which gets the best reviews.

Oh, and definitely get Electric Frankenstein meets El Nada...just because it has a great name. Doesn't El Nada mean "The Nothing"?

No, wait, I've heard of one more. The Start. They're kind of a retro 80's band -- not your cup of tea, IIRC. More the kind of thing that Jim Clark and I like.

PS That's a great pic. I might have to adopt that as my avatar, if you (and he/she) don't mind.

Finch Platte
02-28-2004, 05:59 PM
That gives me good ideas- I'm surprised Slowride couldn't come up with anything :p

Appreciate the time U2 took to make suggestions.

DC, someone sent me that pic in my email, so if you wanted to use it, fine by me.

fp