Cambridge Audio Azur recommendations [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cambridge Audio Azur recommendations

andrewh973
11-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Hi all,

I've auditioned NAD and Cambridge Audio components, and am leaning toward the Cambridge Audio. The living room where the components will be in is approximately 9 x 14 feet, hardwood floor (with an area rug in the middle). I listen to all kinds of musical genres, from classical, jazz, prog rock, and hard rock. I'm considering the Azur 640 integrated amp and corresponding CD player. What do some of you think about these for all musical genres in that space?

I auditioned these with Boston Accoustic and Polk speakers (it's what they had in the store), but wasn't impressed with either. Any recommendations for speaker pairings for the Cambridge components? Bookshelf size are preferable (due to space, and cabinetry), and capability for low and moderate listening levels, and the occasional blast.

Thanks in advance.

JohnMichael
11-04-2007, 12:41 PM
My Cambridge Audio Azur 640A has worked flawlessly and continues to sound very good. I think the CA int amp is more neutral then NAD which tends to be a little warmer. I do not have experience with the CA cd players. The 640A drove my NHT SuperOnes which were not very efficient and they do a great job with my Ascend CBM 170SE. The Ascend CBM 170SE would be a good choice for that amp.

bobsticks
11-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Wow. That's gonna be a tough room. It's going to require alot of system symmetry to avoid either extreme: underperformance or completely overpowering the room.

JM's excellent suggestions aside, you may want to atleast listen to some monitors which might give you a little more bass extension. A sub would definetely not fit in with the system and criteria you've described.

A couple of follow-up questions, what didn't you like about the Polks/BA? What kind of budget do you envision?