Yamaha RX-1100 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha RX-1100

thekid
11-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I can pick this unit up cheap for about $25. Looking to match it with my recent retro purchase of RTR speakers. Anyone have any info on this unit? Thanks!

Feanor
11-02-2007, 06:41 PM
I can pick this unit up cheap for about $25. Looking to match it with my recent retro purchase of RTR speakers. Anyone have any info on this unit? Thanks!

You can't go far wrong for $25 :cornut: assuming it's working. I don't know a whole lot about it, but it looks like a fairly high-end model from the late '80s or early '90s. Does the one you're looking at have remote control? Seems some of the RX-1100's did.

Here is a link to the user manual for the RX-1100U -- is yours the "U" model? ...

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/AFR/RX1100.pdf

thekid
11-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Thanks Feanor!

Don't think I saw a U on the front but maybe it is there. The unit I think is thinner than the one pictured in the manual but can't really tell. Also in the same thrift shop I came across a Fisher 314 which looked very interesting from a control standpoint. There was a joy-stick looking device right in the middle of it that I think helped control your speaker balance. I surfed around and could not come up with any info on that unit either but while we suffer through the effects of Hurrican Noel off the coast I might run down and see if I can test these units.

Feanor
11-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks Feanor!

.... Also in the same thrift shop I came across a Fisher 314 which looked very interesting from a control standpoint. There was a joy-stick looking device right in the middle of it that I think helped control your speaker balance. ....

Those joy sticks were often associated with 4-channel, ("quadraphonic"), models. Four channel was delivered on vinyl disc, believe it or not. Special decoders were necessary to extract the rear channels, which some units had. I don't know, but that Fisher might have been one of those.

Fisher was fairly popular but never had the caché of brands like Marantz, Pioneer, Sansui, Sony, etc.

thekid
11-03-2007, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the info on the Fisher, I think I will take a pass on it. It had this faded bronze finish to it that looked fairly hideous. BTW-I just posted a thread about looking for info on a Sony STR-AV47 which is an older 2-channel unit I had lying around. I picked up a TEAC EQA-5 graphic equalizer for about $15 the other day and was thinking about hooking it up to the Sony if I don't think the Yamaha will work. Any thoughts??
Thanks again for answering my posts!

Feanor
11-03-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the info on the Fisher, I think I will take a pass on it. It had this faded bronze finish to it that looked fairly hideous. BTW-I just posted a thread about looking for info on a Sony STR-AV47 which is an older 2-channel unit I had lying around. I picked up a TEAC EQA-5 graphic equalizer for about $15 the other day and was thinking about hooking it up to the Sony if I don't think the Yamaha will work. Any thoughts??
Thanks again for answering my posts!

The Sony STR-AV47 would probably be from the '90s. Nothing wrong with that, but it is past the "classic" vintage era from the early '70 to the early '80s.

Here's a beauty from that era on eBay -- it appeals to me but you might feel differently. To my eye, they have a more elegant look. Also they are more repairable because they have few integrated circuts. The earlier models actually tend to be pricier than the later ones on the used market ...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Sony-STR-7065-Stereo-Receiver-MUST-SEE_W0QQitemZ250182955342QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3279QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A little background on a similar model can be found here, (a great vintage site, BTW) ...
http://www.thevintageknob.org/SONY/sonyvault/STC7000/STC7000.html

thekid
11-03-2007, 05:46 AM
Thanks I was not sure of the time frame on the Sony.
I am guessing between the two the Yamaha would be the better bet.

thekid
11-05-2007, 03:56 PM
Learned the hard way to get a better audio education. Had I known a little more I would have scooped up the Yamaha when I first saw it. Unfortunately when I went back today the unit was gone. There was a Kenwood VR-307 for about $70 but I am not sure if that is an upgrade vs. the Panasonic HE-70 that I am currently using to power the RTR's. Anyone have an opinion of whether I should go for the Kenwood?

Feanor
11-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Learned the hard way to get a better audio education. Had I known a little more I would have scooped up the Yamaha when I first saw it. Unfortunately when I went back today the unit was gone. There was a Kenwood VR-307 for about $70 but I am not sure if that is an upgrade vs. the Panasonic HE-70 that I am currently using to power the RTR's. Anyone have an opinion of whether I should go for the Kenwood?

Too bad about the Yamaha; it might have been a great find. As for the Kenwood vs. the Panasonic, I have no really idea. Sounds like both are post-vintage models.

Personally I'd look for a vintage, (1975-80), integrated amp. From my observation, the integrated amps are a better deal than receivers if you don't really need a tuner. My choice would be something in the 50-60 watt per channel range; lower power models have fewer features and lower quality; higher powered, especially over 100 w/c, are more expensive. My preferred brands would be Marantz, Sansui, Kenwood, Denon. Yamaha and Pioneer would slightly follow these, followed by Sony and Technics. Luxman are very nice but tend to be over priced.

thekid
11-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Feanor

Thanks for all of your help/info on this post. I will keep beating the bushes for that vintage reciever and will let you know how it goes.

RickSDCA
04-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Hi,
I hope this is an okay question to ask:
I own a Yamaha stereo receiver Rx-1100u. I bought it new in the late 80's and I still have the original manual. It's in mint condition and I was hoping someone could tell me what they think the value might be and also where would be a good place to sell it where I would get a fair price for it.
Thanks a lot.
Rick

RickSDCA
04-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi,
I recently posted ad regarding Yamaha Rx-1100u receiver. If anyone can help please feel free to email me at: rgmsd@mac.com
Thanks again